PDA

View Full Version : Late April May Sking which Mountain

Treeskier
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
If you had a choice of which MT you would like to see be the last open, North or South. Which would you choice?

North has the advantage of being up high (cooler temperatures) but the ridge and especially rim run are East/South facing and often loose snow quickly. Lots of work to keep it open. Glenhouse has a fun deck to play on when it is warm out. Remember how fun it was last year. But the lower MT of North burns out so quickly and often means down loading only.

South on the other hand can offer a lot more skiing with only two lifts. Downspout faces North and Heavens Gate offer some fine skiing. (even if you have to walk up and down load because lower Downspout and or Gondolier have burned out. But also remember what ASC did. Then in May they ran only the Valley House Double and offered Steins to Coffee Run and Upper Snowball to Springfling (until Upper Snowball burned out) With the little extra snow on the shadow North facing Coffee Run, They where able to stay open till May 26th! :)

I will preference this question with the hope that in either case the MT stays open as long as there is snow and as long or longer then last year. Second I would hope for all of the North Only Pass Holder that when we do go to one MT that their pass is good at which ever is still open.

Greg- IF I did not get the Poll protocol correct can you please fix it and then also post the results in 14 days. Thanks

Lostone
02-05-2007, 09:50 AM
You didn't seem to post this as a poll? :?

Did you just want those choices? If so, I can edit it to make it a poll.

Treeskier
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I am asuming you can have a pole and a discusion also. That is what I would like a pole and a discussion. Please

Treeskier
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for getting the pole up. But please take out the third choice. Until cash flow allows it can only be one or the other. Please also clean up the post. Take this one. Your responce and the note to Greg at the bottom of the original post out. Please. That way the tread looks clean.

arc1
02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for getting the pole up. But please take out the third choice. Until cash flow allows it can only be one or the other. Please also clean up the post. Take this one. Your responce and the note to Greg at the bottom of the original post out. Please. That way the tread looks clean.

I am begging you to use some kind of spell chack.

kcyanks1
02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I voted for North. Not because I like North better and would rather ski North, because I don't and I wouldn't. However, I think North is better suited for eary/late season skiing because you can easily download on the GMX and the Summit chair accesses high-elevation terrain. They can make snow on FIS and Rim Run. I didn't realize that Rim Run would be tough to keep open, but as it gets really late season (i.e., May), I'd suspect most of the people who want to ski can handle FIS.

freeheel_skier
02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
North. The snow stays better, longer! 8)

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Spell CHACK?

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 06:47 PM

Spell CHACK?

:lol: LMAO!

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Figured I'd come back and CHACK the POLE...I used to know a girl...awww forget it...

Mike_451
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I kind of like the thought of running the VH chair, with Steins, but it seems like Spring Fling would burn out prety fast, because of its exposure. How about Reverse Traverse, to Lower Jester, as that is covered enough that it will hold up better, and added snowmaking would last longer.

ME makes the most sense, and with the top only beeing 900' of vertical elevation, that is alot less terrain to cover with additional snowmaking. Even though it is wide open, FIS seems to hold snow long after closing, and the DL situation makes alot more sense.

Spring skiing is great, I think it should be something that the Ski Industry embraces more, and even though things are going to hell for the year, is some great skiing in its own way. Just as people hate powder, people can't stand slush, but If I am out making turns, I will take that, and as long as I can ski, I will.

I am hoping that with Claybrook and the new lodge, skier days will increese enough to make it worth keeping LP open longer. It seems to me that Claybrook owners will push for this because they are right there. Its really a shame to look up there at all that snow, and seeing a chairlift sitting dormant.

We all know there is penty of hiking to be had late into the spring, long after closing. I would really like to see more of a flexible opening and closing date, and if the Mountain is Skiable, I think as long as it is profitable it should be open. And to make it profitable, I think skiing should really be marketed as a multi season sport, Fall, Winter, Spring, and sometimes Early Summer.

A comment I have heard many times while in the flat lands when I tell people I am headed to VT to ski in late march. " O, No, All the Resorts will be Closed because winter is over."

Anyway, Season totals 80", average 262" How much more is to come?

Treeskier
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
When I am writing this I see 377 people have viewed this post. That means 366 of you are lurkers. One of the great thing about this forum is the openess of discusion. Free Speach. But just like our government you do need to vote once and a while. So vote.

As for Spring Fling and upper Snowball burning out. The year that ASC closed South last Spring fling stayed the course (with some creative grooming) through middle May. Remember it does get a lot of snow making on it.

One other interesting note. In ASC 5 year plan they had want to build a deck at the bottom of Steins to be used for judges in races and BBQs in the spring. Would it not be fun to see the MT drag up the old Claybrook Sales Shed (now on the green in Waitsfield) and a bunch of plastic chairs, a grill and food. Then when we have beautiful spring days like last year we could have a great sun drenched spring party at the bottom of Steins. Like the beach at Killington at the bottom of Super Star.

kcyanks1
02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
When I am writing this I see 377 people have viewed this post. That means 366 of you are lurkers. One of the great thing about this forum is the openess of discusion. Free Speach. But just like our government you do need to vote once and a while. So vote.

What about the 350 times that you viewed the poll yourself? :-)

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
One other interesting note. In ASC 5 year plan they had want to build a deck at the bottom of Steins to be used for judges in races and BBQs in the spring. Would it not be fun to see the MT drag up the old Claybrook Sales Shed (now on the green in Waitsfield) and a bunch of plastic chairs, a grill and food. Then when we have beautiful spring days like last year we could have a great sun drenched spring party at the bottom of Steins. Like the beach at Killington at the bottom of Super Star.

Now THAT is a great idea!! Bravo Treeskier!

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
The Bush a while ago used to break out a grill and kegs right outside the Wunderbar by the VH chair. There was even a large aireal jump located right there and they had the Budweiser air Assault Team come out and do some tricks with music playing into the night. I can't remember if that's happened recently, but when I worked at the Wonderbar in college a long time ago we'd break that out. It was pretty fun.

Tin Woodsman
02-06-2007, 11:34 AM
The Bush a while ago used to break out a grill and kegs right outside the Wunderbar by the VH chair. There was even a large aireal jump located right there and they had the Budweiser air Assault Team come out and do some tricks with music playing into the night. I can't remember if that's happened recently, but when I worked at the Wonderbar in college a long time ago we'd break that out. It was pretty fun.

Wunderbar? What's that? :cry: :twisted:

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 11:48 AM
It's right above the Mushro..........

Actually I also forgot to give my opinion on North or South. I say North. Maybe it's because it's been North for so many years and it's just a matter of conditioning. Maybe though it's because Upper FIS finally softens up and gives me a reason to use the Summit chair. Maybe it's because Bravo cut over to Exterminator at the first traverse then to Encore or Tumbler and right back on NR has such sweat soft buttery mash potato bumps that I can't imagine doing anything else with my life in the Spring. It also might be hanging on the deck with a beer watching the kids jib on the pipe (now park) in the sun. Seriously how nice is that deck in the sun. So old school. I love it. You just can't recreate that Old Mountain feel.

This all being said I would go with North, but hey. If South has something to prove. Maybe it feels a bit slighted. Perhaps competative. I say go ahead and show me what you got this spring. I'll give you a fair shake.

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure ClayBrook owners would want it to be South (ahem, Lincoln Peak) - but how about we keep it at North for a lot of the reasons MtnMan4Bush just stated (plus the deck!) - and run GH (with download) and SBX so ClayBrookers can get over there without the bus. Is the "snow under SBX for rescues" restriction gonna nix that idea? I don't know the ins and outs of why there needs to be snow there, and plenty of chairs run in summer, so can someone enlighten me?

BushMogulMaster
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure ClayBrook owners would want it to be South (ahem, Lincoln Peak) - but how about we keep it at North for a lot of the reasons MtnMan4Bush just stated (plus the deck!) - and run GH (with download) and SBX so ClayBrookers can get over there without the bus. Is the "snow under SBX for rescues" restriction gonna nix that idea? I don't know the ins and outs of why there needs to be snow there, and plenty of chairs run in summer, so can someone enlighten me?

There needs to be snow so that the snowcats and snowmobiles can get to it in case (God forbid) of an evac.

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM

There needs to be snow so that the snowcats and snowmobiles can get to it in case (God forbid) of an evac.

That's what I tought - 4x4's won't work??

Mike_451
02-06-2007, 10:35 PM
C'Mon, like you cant walk up the mall either? Somehow they have no problem running the GMX during the summer, part of which is on a black pitched slope!
ASC managed to pull it off?
Obviously the Cliffs is accessible by 4x4, why not the mall?
I want to bump it up on Stiens and FIS in June, while having bbq and beer at the Glen House, and a deck at the bottom of Stiens?
How about Beer Stiens on Stiens?
Nothing will atract more buisness than a good party.

Hopefully one of these years, Sugarbush will stay open longer than April 30, as I am getting sick of theese fixed closing dates.
My Opinion, If there is $now on the Mountain, Market it, and Keep the Mountain Open!

Abe Froman
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
C'Mon, like you cant walk up the mall either? Somehow they have no problem running the GMX during the summer, part of which is on a black pitched slope!
ASC managed to pull it off?
Obviously the Cliffs is accessible by 4x4, why not the mall?
I want to bump it up on Stiens and FIS in June, while having bbq and beer at the Glen House, and a deck at the bottom of Stiens?
How about Beer Stiens on Stiens?
Nothing will atract more buisness than a good party.

Hopefully one of these years, Sugarbush will stay open longer than April 30, as I am getting sick of theese fixed closing dates.
My Opinion, If there is $now on the Mountain, Market it, and Keep the Mountain Open!

I think slidebrook is a little bit more logistically challanged...don't ya think? :roll:

:? RIGHT! With what $$ :?: Yours? If I had your $$$ I'd burn mine :lol: If it doesn't make sense financially the SV won't do it. Sorry....btw R U on something :oops: :P

ski_resort_observer
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
There already is a road thats goes up LP, it switchbacks just like most steep mountain roads, a road up the mall would be more like a hillclimb than a road. There is even a trail called Spring Road which is a small section of it.

To be honest, there is no one to market to. By the time you get into late April folks in NY/NJ/CT and MA are starting to play and think about summer sports. It's been tried before, a definate money loser. I am excited about the fact the Bush is getting back into mountain biking this summer.

It's been stated in several other threads already, SBX has to close down early due to wildlife habitat protection.

During the ASC days they ran Super Bravo during the summer on weekends and ran the GMX only during the B&J festival weekends.

sugarboarder
02-07-2007, 12:10 AM
4x4's won't work??

???????????????????????

Strat
02-07-2007, 06:55 AM
B&J festival weekends.

Grr@Uniliver for destroying that tradition... :evil:

8)

win
02-07-2007, 08:17 AM
After a certain point it is not fiscally prudent to stay open officially. As I have said in previous messages, the Tram Authority only allows us to run Slidebrook in the winter, if there is adequate snow cover for an evacuation. In the summer the permit conditions do not allow it to run except for scheduled maintenance because of the bear habitat. It would be a wonderful foliage ride but we can not run it. We also will not run for safety reasons if the temperature is below 5 degrees. Given the two miles of line and the challenging terrain, an evacuation of SB takes much longer than any other lift.

We are bringing back mountain biking this summer at LP. Bravo will run on the weekends and perhaps one other day from the 4th of July through Community Day in October. We are also designing a Disc Golf Course at LP which should be a lot of fun.

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
We are also designing a Disc Golf Course at LP which should be a lot of fun.

Sweet 8)

BushMogulMaster
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
After a certain point it is not fiscally prudent to stay open officially. As I have said in previous messages, the Tram Authority only allows us to run Slidebrook in the winter, if there is adequate snow cover for an evacuation. In the summer the permit conditions do not allow it to run except for scheduled maintenance because of the bear habitat. It would be a wonderful foliage ride but we can not run it. We also will not run for safety reasons if the temperature is below 5 degrees. Given the two miles of line and the challenging terrain, an evacuation of SB takes much longer than any other lift.

You couldn't pay me enough to load SB when it's below 5 degrees anyway! But I guess there are those who would do it. Anyways... thanks for the verification/clarification.

We are bringing back mountain biking this summer at LP. Bravo will run on the weekends and perhaps one other day from the 4th of July through Community Day in October. We are also designing a Disc Golf Course at LP which should be a lot of fun.

Very cool! Sounds like fun :D

Tin Woodsman
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Great news, though I always thought the terrain at LP was a little steep for mtn biking. Also, you could overcome the 5 degree rule by substuting gonda cars for every 3rd or 4th chair. Just sayin'. Not my money. :lol:

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Great news, though I always thought the terrain at LP was a little steep for mtn biking. Also, you could overcome the 5 degree rule by substuting gonda cars for every 3rd or 4th chair. Just sayin'. Not my money. :lol:

Steep Nah....just build some trails with some drops and flow and they WILL come!

sugarboarder
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks for ANOTHER thoughtful and complete answer to us amateur pontificators! Even if you ARE repeating yourself! I was trying to think of a way to keep North open as the spring mountain and still give easy access to the ClayBrook owners by lift...forgot about the bears. :oops:

As far as bringing back lift-served MTN Biking - WOW - really really good deal! And if anyone hasn't played REAL disc golf before - that is a blast too: http://www.innovadiscs.com/

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for ANOTHER thoughtful and complete answer to us amateur pontificators! Even if you ARE repeating yourself! I was trying to think of a way to keep North open as the spring mountain and still give easy access to the ClayBrook owners by lift...forgot about the bears.

LMO

Mike_451
02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Disk Golf, Thats new for me, Sounds like it could be a prety sick thing depending on the terrain its on 8) Great news about the MTB off of SBX this summer,I already can't wait. Any possibility of weekdays if it catches on?

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Disk Golf, Thats new for me, Sounds like it could be a prety sick thing depending on the terrain its on 8) Great news about the MTB off of SBX this summer,I already can't wait. Any possibility of weekdays if it catches on?

No SBX...he said LP. :?

RIGHT! With what $$ Yours? If I had your $$$ I'd burn mine If it doesn't make sense financially the SV won't do it. Sorry....btw R U on something

:lol: Have to ask the last question...Are you? :P

Mike_451
02-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Drunk Mabey :x

All I will say about Freheelers Question is I have been to busy working lately to take a gondola ride up into the sky :oops:
Seriously, I have been to busy ski anywhere that has a gondola :wink:

What I meant by SBX was Super Bravo Express, but I guess SBX also goes for Sugarbush Express "GMX" Is SBX the same as GMX?

Anyway, I can't wait for the Mountain Biking, As long as they don't start limiting routs down, and get some good trail dev going, this will be a great thing. Now I just have to build up more of a downhill biased bike to carve switchbacks onto Spring Fling on 8)

I have seen the disk golf things before, they had one at flatbread a while ago, but I didn't realize that it was that serious. Could be pretty interesting on really hilly terrain, should be interesting to say the least. I just hope my ski pass gets me up Superbravo this summer, or at least if I prebuy next years early on. :D

sugarboarder
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
SBX = Slide Brook Express

More...
http://www.discgolf.com/

Mike_451
02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, As littile as that chair is run, I have almost forgoten about it :(

I caught your link earlier, great info, I think that will turn out to be pretty cool.

sugarboarder
02-08-2007, 07:17 AM
I caught your link earlier, great info, I think that will turn out to be pretty cool.

I had a course near my house/work where I used to live. It's pretty challenging - and just like real golf - practice is no guarantee your scores will get better. :wink:

I could usually bring a sandwich at lunch hour and get in 18 holes in 50 minutes playing solo if it was uncrowded, which it almost always was; and people let singles play through anyway. Plus you walk about 1-1.5 miles at a good pace. Beware though - if you get into it you will be walking around with a shoulder bag with "drivers", "irons" and "putters", plus towels, scorecards, pens, marker discs etc. etc...and if you are new at it and really try to nail your "drives" your shoulder will hurt!! :)