PDA

View Full Version : SNOW

win
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
As all of you know, it is skiing and riding great at The Bush. Our message is simple. The Best Conditions in the East. Period. We do not like to use bravado too often, but we will this time. Tonight we will continue to make snow on Downspout and all of Ripcord. We are also expecting 6" of snow by morning, so it should be a great day. It has begun. Some Westerly winds are expected, but we do not think they should be a problem. The Half Pipe will not be ready tomorrow but the Park will be open. We had to replace a part which won't arrive in time to get the pipe open tomorrow, but we will try for Sunday.

CR Pub will stay open on Sunday through the Superbowl with food and drink.

Get out early!

Tin Woodsman
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Who is this Win joker? Doesn't he realize that this content belongs in the Storm Cycle thread? Man! :lol:

walks
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Win, You are right on the money. I went up to Jay Thursday morning to try and get some tree skiing in. After an hour or two I left and came home. Skied the afternoon at the Bush. The conditions at Jay were not very good. The woods are not filled in very much and the last thing anyone wants to do is groomers at Jay. All the trails here are great.

Today was a fabulous day. The run under North Lynx skied great as well as the Castlerock run. The groomers are always outstanding. You could really tell the difference from the amount of snow that has been blown here over the past month. The extra effort has really paid off. Puts you guys far above Jay and I am assuming other mountains as well.

Please relay my thanks to the mountain staff.

boze
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Been snowing here since 4pm. Very fine flakes. Guessing the work of very chilly upper/atmosphere temps. Looks niiiiiice. Will take measurement before nodding off. Mtn skiiied great today. Groomers delicious. Sincere thx for mtn ops team. Trees offered streches of boot and calf deep pow. You look, you find. And now Ma Nature deliverying the goods...sweet.

BushMogulMaster
02-02-2007, 10:51 PM
It just keeps getting better! Won't be able to get out tomorrow, but can't wait to make some turns on Sunday! :D

sugarboarder
02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I've been racing at a lot of other mountains the past few weeks - there is just NO comparison. I know we talked about SB's lack of snowmaking capacity back in early Juneuary, but what they did with what they have is truly amazing, especially considering what it looke like here three weeks ago. Even the big-K can't keep up! How about that! I have to be at Smuggs Sunday, but looking to hit that new pipe Tueday. Great job SV!

Mike_451
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Its almost like nobody cares about snowmaking at this point, kind of weird?

BushMogulMaster
02-03-2007, 07:59 AM
6+" fresh this morning! :D

sugarboarder
02-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Its almost like nobody cares about snowmaking at this point, kind of weird?

I know...gotta be budget constraints...it may not have been snowing everywhere but it's been cold enough to blow whales (old New England saying).

Mike_451
02-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Well, If they are going to blow more this season, now is the time to do it 8)

win
02-04-2007, 03:38 PM
We are taking a couple of days off to give everyone a needed rest after going 24/7 for a few weeks, but will be back on at both ME and LP this week. Cliffs and Which Way will be priorities at ME and we will see what more is needed at LP.

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Job well done by teh snow making crew the last few weeks. Even with all the fresh they were still blowing all day Saturday and Sunday on Ripcord. I like to see that. It was cold on Sunday up there so that couldn't have been an easy task. Pass along our thanks.

PS - Perhaps when they start back up a little love could be shown to Exterminator, although I do have to say that two weekends ago we made first tracks on Cliffs after a long period of making and it was pretty nice.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Ripcord on Saturday was, IMHO, miserable. Not a great product being blown there that day by feel or sight - it was brownish and sticky. This was unfortunate given how cold it was. It looked a LOT better on Sunday in my one, and only, trip up a frigid HG. Snowball to Spring Fling was a dream. Great snow being made at the top of the latter.

skigal
02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Ripcord, under the chair, was sweet all weekend! Did hear skier's left was not much fun.

Spring Fling was my pick of the day yesterday though...much warmer with great snowmaking.

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree Ripcord was a bit dodgy on Saturday in the morning so we only did one run on it to get to Spills which was sweat. I figured that after a day of skiing all the crusty man made would be chewed up and bump up nicely, but I never made it back over as I spent the rest of Sat on ME and Twist. Same with Sunday, but I did hear from a buddy that Ripcord was the best run on the Mnt on Sunday if you could stand the cold.

CapeSkiGuy
02-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree about Spring Fling. Great on Sunday. Snowball skied really well too. Also, the traverse was in nice shape, but there was a bit of boilerplate at the end, by the top of the VH lift. I thought it wasn't very crowded, too, probably because of the football game. I didn't wait in a lift line all day.

Nice to have the VH lunchroom open.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree about Spring Fling. Great on Sunday. Snowball skied really well too. Also, the traverse was in nice shape, but there was a bit of boilerplate at the end, by the top of the VH lift. I thought it wasn't very crowded, too, probably because of the football game. I didn't wait in a lift line all day.

Nice to have the VH lunchroom open.
I'm pretty sure that the portion of VH traverse in question feautred boilerplate soon after it was thrust up from the Earth's crust hundreds of millions of years ago. I've never seen it in any other condition.

Lostone
02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
My theory as to what happened to Ripcord is that, when there is powder, people tend to be lighter on setting an edge. That makes them scrape off the carveable layer, leaving a skating rink between the bumps.

I expected that, and didn't bother with it, on Saturday.

And as for the traverse, it does have the tendency to get nasty at the end. :roll:

CapeSkiGuy
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah...so I've discovered! First time I was up there since it opened this season.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
My theory as to what happened to Ripcord is that, when there is powder, people tend to be lighter on setting an edge. That makes them scrape off the carveable layer, leaving a skating rink between the bumps.

That's not really the issue, though that certainly happenson Ripcord alot. The problem was that they were blowing lousy snow. I almost killed myself heading towards Paradise b/c the gun that was blowing at the top of Ripcord coated my goggles completely and instantly, followed by steep troughed moguls. Others who had skied down Ripcord itself confirmed the diagnosis I made from the lift - it was thick, heavy crud. Given that it was no warmer than maybe 15 degrees on the upper mtn (that's being generous me thinks), that was disappointing.

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
What causes the man made stuff to be like that in such cold conditions? I thought that in pretty cold weather the stuff that came out was supposed to be lighter. I was on my way to Spills and had the same thing happen to me. I caught a tip and spooned up a slurry of snow. Next thing I new I was eating powder. Not quite the face shot I was looking for. Bumpskier was right behind me and wiped out in the same spot. I'm not complaining though. The landing was soft and if you don't get a chance to make some deep snow angels every now and again you're just not having fun. Also I love the fact that they are continuing to put something down. The deeper the base the longer into spring we can ski on it. Do I hear a June closing anyone?

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
What causes the man made stuff to be like that in such cold conditions?

Too much water, generally. Also... high humidity can be a killer.

castlerock
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Ripcord, under the chair, was sweet all weekend! Did hear skier's left was not much fun.

Spring Fling was my pick of the day yesterday though...much warmer with great snowmaking.

Yes, I did several laps on skiers right, up against the trees on Saturday, it was excellent. On Sunday, under the guns was the ticket, except for the lottery factor, one or two of the guns, had created some big frozen chunks, and you had to be careful

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
What causes the man made stuff to be like that in such cold conditions?

Too much water, generally. Also... high humidity can be a killer.

Humidity Sunday was around 60%, in the AM anyway - even though it was cold...the gun probably needed a little more air mixed in.