PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Favorite Powder Day Trail Combination

Biff, Paris-France
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Here's one of mine at LP; Paradise to Paradise Glade out to Lower Rip Cord jump on the chair back up then do Upper Grinder over to Spills over to Lower Paradise grab a chair back to the top, Grinder all the way down, taking a left at Domino headwall to Domino Dogleg on down thru Domino Glade and over to CR Chair for a run down CastleRock Run.

HowieT2
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I usually just stick to the Paradise glade part....

Strat
02-01-2007, 07:31 AM
First trail I get on :D

Treeskier
02-01-2007, 08:19 AM
The most difficult that is less traveled.

freeheel_skier
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Bumps: Bravo, Exterm
OR
Paradise Glade

I also agree with Strat

:D

BushMogulMaster
02-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Bravo or Exterm... whichever has ZERO tracks!

freeheel_skier
02-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I'll make a deal with ya....you can hit Exterm. & I'll take Bravo! :lol: :lol:

BushMogulMaster
02-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I'll make a deal with ya....you can hit Exterm. & I'll take Bravo! :lol: :lol:

Deal! :wink:

kcyanks1
02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Normally Paradise glades and then something off Castlerock. I generally don't go straight to Castlerock because once you do that, it's harder to get back to Heaven's Gate and the top of South...Though I guess there is Bailout. So maybe it would make more sense to do the Castlerock trails first and then head over to the Paradise glades. Who knows .. it's a powder day so it's all good, right? :-)

Tin Woodsman
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Depends on the wind and amounts. On a big day, I'll hit Mall/Twist/Moonshine when Bravo opens early. Then it's up to HG for a Paradise or Spillsville run at the stroke of 9:00. Then rundown to CR for a Liftline before it gets skied off, followed by various other routes in the CR pod.

castlerock
02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Depends on the wind and amounts. On a big day, I'll hit Mall/Twist/Moonshine when Bravo opens early. Then it's up to HG for a Paradise or Spillsville run at the stroke of 9:00. Then rundown to CR for a Liftline before it gets skied off, followed by various other routes in the CR pod.

Tinny, you pretty much have my typical exactly, except I try to get an 8:00 Domino in first, (I'm assuming this is a weekend) as it is almost as direct of a way down as Birdland, and therefore back up for the next run (or two) off the south ridge (Mall/Twist/Moonshine), then onto the HG, Liftline, etc,.

Tin Woodsman
02-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Tinny, you pretty much have my typical exactly, except I try to get an 8:00 Domino in first, (I'm assuming this is a weekend) as it is almost as direct of a way down as Birdland, and therefore back up for the next run (or two) off the south ridge (Mall/Twist/Moonshine), then onto the HG, Liftline, etc,.

That's funny. I almost made a mention of the quick jaunt to Domino first thing. Nothing quite like powering down Domino Chute in 18" of blower and then charging over the lip w/o slowing down into bottomless pleasure on Domino.

castlerock
02-01-2007, 05:33 PM
That's funny. I almost made a mention of the quick jaunt to Domino first thing. Nothing quite like powering down Domino Chute in 18" of blower and then charging over the lip w/o slowing down into bottomless pleasure on Domino.

Keep an eye out for me next weekend powder day.....

sugarboarder
02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Hah! Nice try! I ain't tellin'! :P

random_ski_guy
02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
these are all good ideas. use the biff circulation for higher elevation snowfalls or 9am starts and the tinny circulation for 8am bravo starts.

MntMan4Bush
02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree that any where you can get first tracks. Assuming your making the first spin on any chair:

South - Right to Middle Earth. Is there a more classic New England\Vermont trail? Then over to Ripcord into Spillsville. Granted some time is lost gettig back up, but ME on a powder day is tops.

North - Top 100 feet of Bravo, cut over to Exterminator cross over to Tumbler. A nice set of vertical leg burning bumps in powder.

As an adendum to South slipping into Slidebook is always sweat, but you don't have to be the first in. There's always plenty of untracked terrain on a powder day.

Biff, Paris-France
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Mt Man ... you got the right idea, I like the way you think. One has to really work the system, lifts and trails, to get the right combination, it's more of an art than a science, you've got to give a little to get a lot. Actually, on a good pow day, I could spend some quality time on VH lift while everyone else beats themselves silly trying to grap some freshies on HG and CR. Meanwhile I'll be quietly going about getting soft stuff down Steins, Mall, Twist and Moonshine. I've said it once but it deserves repeating, VH has some of the sweetest skiing SB has to offer .. when /if it's running ... Don't tell anyone.

BushMogulMaster
02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Ooooohhh... I forgot... Lower FIS. If there's at least 1 foot, then walking the runout is WELL worth the secluded freshies where practically everyone else is afraid to go alone :twisted: ! And, if you get lucky, they decided to run the powder bar across the runout right before opening, and it's smooth sailing!

sugarboarder
02-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Ummm...why does anyone else need to know all this stuff...oh, what's that? It's a bullet in my foot. :?

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 10:12 AM
This weekend was unreal and I got to test my own post out again. I've tweaked it a bit and maybe now see the logic in Biff's statement. In all the years I've skied the bush I probably haven't been over to Twist in 6 years. That changed Saturday when I was trying to meet up with wifey for a few runs together. Twist was tied for best run of the day with ME below the waterfall. (By this I mean the three unbelievable zipper bump lines right below the ice wall/death corner). If there were a chair that dropped me right below that I would have skied those three lines all day long. Soft buttery powder bumps. As a single run overall though I would give it to Twist into lower Moonshine on Saturday. Best bump run as a whole all day.

By the way when the snow started up again at about 2:30 after a ridiculous day of powder sking and I was heading up CR you could just feel the perma-grin energy in the air. There wasn't a soul who wasn't smiling and having a great time. I even saw a skier compliment a boarder on a bump run and a boarder hand a skier a dropped pole. Talk about putting differences aside and coming together :)

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I even saw a skier compliment a boarder on a bump run and a boarder hand a skier a dropped pole. Talk about putting differences aside and coming together :)

Been happening in other places for YEARS...this place is just finally moving into the nineties. But yeah...not bad for the MRG influenced valley! :)

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I have the good fortune of having a friend who has been boarding for 15 years or so and is IMHO the best boarder I've ever seen whether on steeps, trees or in the bumps. Plus he doesn't hang out in the park or pipe so he's more of our mentality. It's definitely helped us all cross the gap. We bust each others chops though quite a bit. If we see someone going down the side on one edge scraping up all the snow or doing a quick switch and wiping out we let him know that that person's on his team and he does the same to us when he sees someone shaking and snowplowing down ME or people on those ski skates or big feet what ever you call them. Regardless I'll still lend him my pole on long flatter run outs.

In the spirit of this thread though I would like to say that last weekend we stuck to all trails on Saturday and as I've mentioned above had great bumps on ME and Twist. On Sunday when things got colder and firmer we dipped into Slidebrook and had a great time. It's not fully there yet and there are still a few snow snakes hidden, but it's on it's way and had solid coverage all the way down. Last weekend no doubt made the base/foundation. Now we just need the gravy on top. There were a couple of bumps I was tempted to pump off of, but I remembered that something had to be under it to create it and it wasn't quite convinced they were ready yet.

bsideindy
02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Perfect timing on this post for me. After saturday morning's rush to get the untracked without a plan. I've been thinking tactics. Those first 5 or so runs on a pow day are oh so important. Thanks for all your input, you've been very helpful. :wink: