PDA

View Full Version : The Forthcoming Guest Services Lodge

random_ski_guy
01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
This off-season.

Really? So quickly? I thought they would wait until Claybrook is 95% sold first....so they have the cash to invest in the next phase.

Tin Woodsman
01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
This off-season.

Really? So quickly? I thought they would wait until Claybrook is 95% sold first....so they have the cash to invest in the next phase.

One would hope that they wouldn't demolish their weekend/holiday overflow back-up prior to constructing the long-term solution to GH Lodge overcrowding, wouldn't one. But Win has been pretty clear that VH goes this summer.

random_ski_guy
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
This off-season.

One would hope that they wouldn't demolish their weekend/holiday overflow back-up prior to constructing the long-term solution to GH Lodge overcrowding, wouldn't one. But Win has been pretty clear that VH goes this summer.

Exactly, I would think this winter has proven they need the overflow capacity the old lodge provides

EXskier
01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Is their another lodge with lunch/Apre capacity in the works after the demolition or is the new lodge and Timbers all there will be? I would assume there would be another structure built for more options if the goal is to increase skier visits. Right now it can hardly handle a slow weekend..

Tin Woodsman
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Is their another lodge with lunch/Apre capacity in the works after the demolition or is the new lodge and Timbers all there will be? I would assume there would be another structure built for more options if the goal is to increase skier visits. Right now it can hardly handle a slow weekend..

I think the idea is that the forthcoming Guest Services Lodge would in effect act as the overflow lodge ala VH this year. The theory goes that because you'll have all of the ski school, kids programs, day care, and other skier services over there, those kids and possibly their parents would be using that facility as their base of operations, thereby freeing up large amounts of space in GH. I guess the key is ensuring that the new building is of sufficient size and has the appropriate design components to deliver on that notion.

Yard Sale
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM

I think the idea is that the forthcoming Guest Services Lodge would in effect act as the overflow lodge ala VH this year. The theory goes that because you'll have all of the ski school, kids programs, day care, and other skier services over there, those kids and possibly their parents would be using that facility as their base of operations, thereby freeing up large amounts of space in GH. I guess the key is ensuring that the new building is of sufficient size and has the appropriate design components to deliver on that notion.

The Guest Services Lodge: while it sounds like it will alleviate some of the crush in GH, it doesn't sound like it will have much impact on the apre component. Is that a fare statement? And secondly, what is the time frame for the Guest Services Lodge construction and coming online. Will it be necessary to relocate the interim village, or will the construction period be confined to one off season?

Tin Woodsman
01-31-2007, 11:44 AM

The Guest Services Lodge: while it sounds like it will alleviate some of the crush in GH, it doesn't sound like it will have much impact on the apre component. Is that a fare statement? And secondly, what is the time frame for the Guest Services Lodge construction and coming online. Will it be necessary to relocate the interim village, or will the construction period be confined to one off season?
I'm not Win, nor do I play him on TV, but here's what I know, or think I know.

1) I think you're right w/r/t apres. I haven't heard any plans in the works to include a bar type venue in the new GSL. Quite frankly, that probably wouldn't mix well with the stated goal of that facility, given all the kids around and such. this issue will have to be addressed via other means. I think the easiest way to do this would be to create some sort of semi-permanent enclosure around either the south or east facing outdoor areas of the current CR pub. They are under-utilized as it is and that area would be much more useful if it could be an extension of the currently overcrowded venue. Truth be told, I think the ultimate solution, albeit an expensive one, is to expand the GH lodge southward, entirely enclusing the area behind the fence on both floors, so you'd have increased seating capacity both upstairs and downstairs.

2) Win has been somewhat more elusive on timing for the GSL. I think it's fair to say that it depends on how this season goes and, probably more importantly, how well sales go in Clay Brook. I think if they were to do it, you'd be looking at a single off-season of construction, beginning the second the lifts stop turning at South and probably running right up to the second they turn on. Realistically, this would give them seven full months to get it done. That could be a little tight, but I'll defer to others more knowledgable about the intricacies of constructing a 40,000 s.f. building at 1600 ft in VT.

Edit: BTW, I split out the last few posts on the subject into its own thread. This is obviously an issue of interest and importance, especially in light of some of the "issues" we've noted with the current set-up. Have at it..

Yard Sale
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Thank you Win Toodsman. . . Er, I mean Tin Woodsman. You may not be Win, but you certainly do seem to be in the know about all things SB from site logistics to weather. It's appreciated.

BTW anything in your weather station suggesting that something meaningful might be to come from, say the Gulf coast via the Ohio Valley this Friday?

Tin Woodsman
01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you Win Toodsman. . . Er, I mean Tin Woodsman. You may not be Win, but you certainly do seem to be in the know about all things SB from site logistics to weather. It's appreciated.

BTW anything in your weather station suggesting that something meaningful might be to come from, say the Gulf coast via the Ohio Valley this Friday?

Hay man, I only regurgitate what I've seen in the public domain. So aside from being a Mod here, feel free to refer to me a Regurgitator in Chief.

As for the weather, things are looking promising, but not from any coastal lows. I don't think we get those in VT anymore. Looks like we'll have to rely on our old friend upslope/lake effect/lake enhancement. She's like that cute chick who was hot for you in school, but you dogged her for the total hottie with the tight sweater, short skirt and the come hither look. Inevitably, you get too close to the sun and she runs off with the QB of the football team, and there you are with only that cute but overlooked chick you've been ignoring for lo these many months and years. But she understands. She'll still stand by you and will be the most real and dependable person in your life. That's upslope/lake effect/lake enhancement snow in a nutshell.

The AFD from BTV this morning continued to sound promising. Lots of talk of lake effect and various fronts swinging through. The winds will bring lake effect into our area, though it will be hit or miss. The saving grace is that this has the effect of "pooling" moisture to the East of the lakes, up into the ST. Lawrence valley and south of the Dacks. Then a front swings through and wrings all that moisture out over the spine of the Greens. Don't quote me or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see well over a foot of snow between now and Tuesday. Timing and exact amounts are uncertain, but it will be one of those periods where you see 2-4" per day for a few days.

freeheel_skier
01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
As for the weather, things are looking promising, but not from any coastal lows. I don't think we get those in VT anymore. Looks like we'll have to rely on our old friend upslope/lake effect/lake enhancement. She's like that cute chick who was hot for you in school, but you dogged her for the total hottie with the tight sweater, short skirt and the come hither look. Inevitably, you get too close to the sun and she runs off with the QB of the football team, and there you are with only that cute but overlooked chick you've been ignoring for lo these many months and years. But she understands. She'll still stand by you and will be the most real and dependable person in your life. That's upslope/lake effect/lake enhancement snow in a nutshell.

Wow! :shock: Sounds like this has happend before.....The weather I mean! :lol:

Tin Woodsman
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM

Wow! :shock: Sounds like this has happend before.....The weather I mean! :lol:
That was all a hypothetical situation of course.

Hardbooter
02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
She's like that cute chick who was hot for you in school, but you dogged her for the total hottie with the tight sweater, short skirt and the come hither look. Inevitably, you get too close to the sun and she runs off with the QB of the football team, and there you are with only that cute but overlooked chick you've been ignoring for lo these many months and years. But she understands. She'll still stand by you and will be the most real and dependable person in your life.
I hope you realize that we're going to have to charge you $120 for this little session on our (public) couch.

Back to the lodge... Here is what I'd like to see above and beyond the already discussed ski school/family center (and cafe) etc. I'd like to see some more retail space that might reconnect to the existing village. A restaurant or bar and a ski shop or two would be appropriate. That area is perfectly located for easy access from the parking area it would provide more dining and retail options. How about getting American flatbread to open another restaurant in there? They have two hour wait times at the current restaurant.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for that cross-country ski center that Bob Ackland and Ole's ski center were planning a few years ago.

smootharc
02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh, and I'm still waiting for that cross-country ski center that Bob Ackland and Ole's ski center were planning a few years ago.

Haven't tried Ole's or Blueberry this year. Anyone got the goods ?

Tin Woodsman
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Back to the lodge... Here is what I'd like to see above and beyond the already discussed ski school/family center (and cafe) etc. I'd like to see some more retail space that might reconnect to the existing village. A restaurant or bar and a ski shop or two would be appropriate. That area is perfectly located for easy access from the parking area it would provide more dining and retail options. How about getting American flatbread to open another restaurant in there? They have two hour wait times at the current restaurant.

Hard to reconnect to the existing village when there will still be a few hundred yards of scrub and parking lt in between it and the new bldg, no? Would a ski shop make sense given that Sure Foot is already in Clay Brook? I'm thinking a cafe/deli, apart from the needed cafeteris for the users of the GSL, would be appropriate. Paradise wouldn't be too happy, but a rising tide lifts all boats I suppose. Besides, they've made mad bank off of the contractors and construction guys over the last 18 months. Love the Flatbread idea - the quintessential Valley experience. Me thinks it would have to be a little differentt though to really work, and open 7 days instead of just 2-3. Regardless, the CR pub and Timbers is a good, not great, start to forming more of a core of activity at the LP base. Next step is clearly to broaded the offering there and extend the activity to the north, in the direction of the Village. I think ideally, SB would eventually develop the land between the Village parking lot and the GSL, providing a physical link between the two entities, whereby the sum would be greater than the constituent parts. It would be nice to start out apres at the (expanded, ahem) CR Pub, walk over to the retail in the GSL to grab a new Dermatone, stop into some other restaurant/bar type thing inthe subsequent buildings on the north end of the parking lot, and then roll into the Phoenix/Chez Henri area for deep into the night. Finally, there would be a "there" there.

ski_resort_observer
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Big article in the VR about the GSC, unfortunately the website is still on last week so I will just mention that groundbreaking will be in early summer and open December of 2007. Here is the link, today's issue should be online tomorrow. www.valleyreporter.com

BushMogulMaster
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Big article in the VR about the GSC, unfortunately the website is still on last week so I will just mention that groundbreaking will be in early summer and open December of 2007. Here is the link, today's issue should be online tomorrow. www.valleyreporter.com

Read the article this afternoon. Very enlightening....

Tin Woodsman
02-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Here's the link:

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=38

Here's the story:

Sugarbush gearing up for Phase II at Lincoln Peak

By Erin Post

Sugarbush officials are gearing up for the second phase of construction in the Lincoln Peak base area.

Although plans are still preliminary at this point, the Warren Development Review Board (DRB) met with Sugarbush representatives January 17 to begin discussions about a scaled-down proposal for a new guest services building in the base area as well as additional residential units.

The guest services center is to be located on the site of the current 'interim village,' situated between the recently-completed Clay Brook Lodge and beginner terrain served by the Village Double lift, said Jason Lisai, vice-president of planning and development.

The resort plans to break ground for the guest services building early this summer, in the hopes of opening it to the public by December of 2007. The residential units should be ready for occupancy by the start of the 2008-09 ski season, with construction beginning late this summer.

The guest services building is slated to house the ski school as well as ski rental and repair services. Additional residential units in the base area, up to a maximum of 39, are included in preliminary plans. The layout of these units, as well as the ownership structure, has yet to be determined, said JJ Toland, Sugarbush communications manager.

The project had received approval from the town through the permitting process for the recently completed Clay Brook Lodge. However, some modifications to the plan, including a reduced footprint for the guest services building, prompted Sugarbush officials to start a dialogue with the DRB regarding those changes.

Sugarbush representatives said they expect to go through a minor amendment process with Act 250 as well.

More detailed plans regarding the project should be coming together over the next 30 to 60 days, Lisai said this week. The cost of the new buildings has yet to be determined.

Moving into phase II of construction should allow the resort to finish up the restoration of Hotel Brook, Lisai said. The project, required by the state, is about halfway done. Sugarbush has been working with a consulting firm and Friends of the Mad River to remove culverts and restore a more "natural bottom" to the brook, creating a better habitat for aquatic and plant life.

The project also requires Sugarbush to relocate the Village lift and regrade some land near the top terminal.

The plans presented to the DRB included possible locations for additional residential buildings the resort may pursue in the future. Market feasibility studies will likely determine the size and configuration of the buildings, Lisai said, but added that Sugarbush wants the town to be aware of the possibility for additional building projects.

The goal for the resort is to help "restore the bed base to The Valley" that has been lost over the last decade or so, Toland said, as well as stay competitive with other ski resorts in the region.

Any future additional residential buildings would go through a permitting process with the town and the state.

At the January 17 meeting, some members of the DRB voiced approval for phase II preliminary plans, noting that the new layout encourages traffic to flow between the planned guest services building and the existing lodge.

"I think it's a good plan," said DRB member David Markolf. "I like the consolidation of the buildings."

Lisai spoke to the Warren DRB January 17 along with Bob Ackland, president and part owner of Sugarbush.

Sugarbush representatives plan to return to the DRB for additional meetings with more detailed plans.

My key takeaways:

1) The GSC is going in this summer and will hopefully be ready in December. Prepare for some early growing pains like we saw this year. Regardless, this is obvioiusly good news.

2) It will have a reduced footprint from previous plans. IOW, it's being scaled down. No word on the size, or reason for, the reduction. One can certainly speculate....

3) Additional residential of up to 39 units has been proposed or approved. The article is unclear as to whether this would be included in the GSB or a separate structure. Regardless, the residential component, wherever it is, is slated to come online for the 2008/2009 season. This would seem to be an indication that the pace of sales at Clay Brook is satisfactory. this is also good news, IMHO.

Discuss...

random_ski_guy
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, we certainly could speculate on what scaled down means, but I'm not up for it. It could mean they are reducing the covered parking (if there was any in the original plan, dunno), could me less admin space, could mean less retail or ski school space, could mean anything. Its a bit of a surprise to take space off the table when it seems its a challenge to get said space approved. But Win has done a marvelous job thus far, so you have to figure it all fits into a sound plan that is under constant adjustment.

By my measure I see Claybrook as being about 78% sold. Announcing a timeline to build the GCS this summer certainly should aid in the sale of the remaining shares.

Tin Woodsman
02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
By my measure I see Claybrook as being about 78% sold. Announcing a timeline to build the GCS this summer certainly should aid in the sale of the remaining shares.

Is that figure based on the % of 1/4 shares sold, or whole units with at least some level of sold %? If you were to consider each 1/4 share as the "units" for sale, the last time I checked it looked like they were well short of hitting 78%. More like 60-65%.

random_ski_guy
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I took a quick count of the unsold 1/4 shares per a posting I saw in the new lodge. My quick count has 58 of 244 quarter share units still available including seven units with no shares sold. Presumably these have been purposefully set aside for those interested in whole ownership. There is no discount for whole ownership by the way.

Of course, I could be wrong...I may have been too hasty in my count of the unsold units.

Time is running out!