PDA

View Full Version : The shoe is on the other foot now

ski_resort_observer
01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Despite all the howling about the bad conditions a month ago and the often heard cry, "this sucks I'm going out west" the season has turned around. The west except for the PNW has not seen alot of snow this season. Even the big storms we saw on the news in Denver was concentrated on the front range and the resorts west into the mountains didn't get the big dump.

The first western resort to fall off the table this season is June Mountain, sister resort to Mamouth Mt. in CA. They are throwing in the towel and closing due to lack of snowfall this season. Heavenly, Squaw and Mammoth long used to huge Sierra dumps are still only 70% open. There are resorts 100% open but the skiing has not been like you see in the brochures. Even Utah has not seen alot of new snow in the last 2/3 weeks.

This is not totally across the board as I heard Alta/Snowbird got some snow last week but not much in the Park City area. If your going out west make sure you check the conditions at the resort your going to cause you might be shocked to find that the conditions here in northern Vermont might be as good or even better.

Treeskier...starting to be a believer....you started the ball rolling here. 8) :lol:

HowieT2
01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Just got back from Alta/snowbird and they have no snow (for them). The conditions are bad and getting worse. There are large areas that are closed. Can't do anything about the weather.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Two things amazed me around here recently...

First - I'm at a store today and overhear two people talking. One says, "are you getting up on the mountain much?". The other replies, "no, with the conditions the way they are I really don't care". And the first one says, "I know, it really stinks this year." SAY WHAAAT?? And these people LIVE here!! Amazing. :shock:

And it is even worse down south...to wit:

In the Boston Globe Monday, Jan. 29th - page D2 in the business section. Mark Baard's "Personal Tech" column...he says "If we do get to enjoy a ski season next year (even the bunny hill near my house is shut)..."

The part that really got me is that he relates the "bunny hill" near his house being closed to be an indicator of the season. Shouldn't it be the other way around? i.e - "even the big areas up north are shut down" IF that was the case?

These people can't be serious about skiing, can they? Or are all the marketing and news reporting efforts in vain?

freeheel_skier
01-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Got an email Today from a buddy of mine visiting family in Summit County.

I quote "I'm on day 6 of my 9 day trip here. We have been to A-basin,Keystone &Copper the snow base avg's45-55" not totally mind blowing conditions but pretty good sunny &cold."

Sounds like we have turned the corner here in VT! :D

win
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes, and the pattern looks very favorable for the next couple of weeks.

greenmtnboy
01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Win,

What weather program does the mountain use for short term and long term forecast. I have a Doppler service at work and it's very accurate as far as radar ad short term is concerned, but it lacks for long term forecasts. There are many weather sites available and Tin's reports come in handy too.

Just curious.

p.s. seems like the arthritis in my hip is right on these days!!

tymoguls
01-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Telluride jost got 14" of fresh. Just need to pick your spots. Hoping for a great WE at ME coming up. The trail report does not show any active snowmaking on ME. Is this fact or a reporting error?

win
01-31-2007, 09:52 PM
We subscribe to a service that gives us forecasts by the hour by elevation for temperatures and winds, and we find it quite accurate for the next 24 hours. It does give us longer range forecasts as well, but it is less realable, so we look at a number of others: Unisys, The Weather Channel, National Weather etc. My personal opinion is that it is all interesting, but I look out the window in the morning and that is the best forecast.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 10:58 PM
My personal opinion is that it is all interesting, but I look out the window in the morning and that is the best forecast.

A true New Englander!! :wink: