PDA

View Full Version : valley nordic/walking/VAST trail system pic

ski_resort_observer
01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Sometimes after a hectic weekend at the Bush it's just nice to get away and enjoy some of the many other recreation activities this incredible valley has to offer. Since the wife is a former PSIA nordic instructor/racing coach she often drags me out to cruise the trails either on the valley pathway or up at Ole's. Ole's has got to be one of my fav nordic centers, the views, the people...don't get me started.... :lol:

Anyways, this pic is from yesterday, late afternoon, on a section of the valley pathway system shared by snowmobiles and skiers/walkers/snowshoers. Although my pic doen't show it the nordic skiers were actually skating along at a pretty smooth clip. I just snapped a shot on my cheapo point and shoot dig camera as we were just about to leave.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/MRV-pics/MRV_nordic_trails.jpg

Strat
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/MRVpics/MRV_nordic_trails.jpg

Fixed the link for you, not sure why the original didn't work...

ski_resort_observer
01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Strat! I always or I should say almost always check and make sure the link works. Probably has to do with my Firefox browser problem I had this morning. Everytime I tried to name the album title, which I have done many times before but as you probably know is done in a very strange way in Firefox, it crashed the browser. Since I didn't really need to name the album to post the pic I gave up on that and posted it....I thought the link was good as the pic was up on my puter. :D

ski_it
02-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for posting that photo-- that's a good one!

Would it be possible for anyone post a route description of where the Catamount Trail runs in the vicinity of German Flats Rd.? I know it intersects the driveway of the Sugar Run condo complex and have hiked it North from there, but I'm particularly interested in where it goes South from there. Any detail would be appreciated, i.e. other points of intersection with roads between there and the Access Rd.

noski
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Would it be possible for anyone post a route description of where the Catamount Trail runs in the vicinity of German Flats Rd.? I know it intersects the driveway of the Sugar Run condo complex and have hiked it North from there, but I'm particularly interested in where it goes South from there. Any detail would be appreciated, i.e. other points of intersection with roads between there and the Access Rd.

If you don't already have the MRV Hiking and Trails map, I can say the Catamount Trail is on it. If you need one, they are only $5 and available at Clearwater or the Chamber among other places. Others here can give you landmark info.

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM
It's about an 1/8 mile on the left (from rte.17) side of German flats.....I believe you go by 2 driveways. People park at the bottom of hidden wood & cross the street. If you want to go north the trail continues across the street on the right. :D

ski_resort_observer
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Be aware that when you come to the first unmarked intersection you want to go left to go south and end up near Tucker Hill Inn, if you go right it takes you back to Sugar Run and eventually the Sugarbush Inn, pretty logical but unmarked intersections are confusing. The Tucker Hill Inn is the parking area and it's on Marble Hill Rd not Tucker Hill Rd...go figure. If you notice the intersection is not on the map thats why I wanted to give you a heads up.

http://www.madriverpath.com/assets/Mill%20Brook%20Trail.jpg

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Is this a new map? Just looking @ the Parking on German Flats???

ski_it
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks all for the info and for posting the map. Also thanks for the tip on the MRV Hiking and Trails map-- I actually picked one up last summer so just need to unearth it.

ski_resort_observer
02-08-2007, 12:28 PM

The official parking spot is across the road from the Fayson School next to the electrical substation but I park were you park. It is on private land and they seem to tolorate it as long as we are respectful and park on the right side so as to not restrict their road.

freeheel_skier
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM

The official parking spot is across the road from the Fayson School next to the electrical substation but I park were you park. It is on private land and they seem to tolorate it as long as we are respectful and park on the right side so as to not restrict their road.

Good point about the paking. Will there ever be a bridge build in the "official" parking lot? I see a timber was dropped along with some other wood.

noski
02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I think that timber is to replace a bad bridge on the Millbrook Trail.