PDA

View Full Version : SB trails you haven't skied

random_ski_guy
01-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I have not had the pleasure of skiing all the runs at SB. There are a number that have eluded me over the years (forgot to ski, closed, ski partner not up for it, etc) Who here is in the same boat. Right now I have too many to list. I hope to shorten or eliminate my list all together over the next few days. Who else is in the same boat...who has a trail or two that has eluded them...and it's bothersome? :D

noski
01-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I have not had the pleasure of skiing all the runs at SB. There are a number that have eluded me over the years (forgot to ski, closed, ski partner not up for it, etc) Who here is in the same boat. Right now I have too many to list. I hope to shorten or eliminate my list all together over the next few days. Who else is in the same boat...who has a trail or two that has eluded them...and it's bothersome? :D

Where do I start.... :roll: I have been on Inverness, Walt's Trail, (those two took me one whole day- one run) I used every bit of real estate getting down those, I really got my money's worth. I rode the SBX once to LP and picked my way down. Then I rode back and did the same. One day I made 3 runs down one trail at Mt Ellen before the lifts were configured (sunny D?) and yes, all in the same morning. But random, you were probably looking for real answers here.

random_ski_guy
01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
What is this? Tales of skiing from NoSki? I thought 115 of 115 trails had eluded you. Sounds like; ball parking here, you've managed to bring that down to 105. Well, thats 10 more trails than I thought. A good start. :D

I probably have about 15 trails I haven't skied. For example; Tumbler!!!!

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Tumbler is sweet right now - at least it was on Tuesday. Pick your way down the first run so you can see where the hazards are - then let 'er rip on #2!!

Heck - even Lower FIS is open...a trail that eludes many!

random_ski_guy
01-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Good to hear about Tumbler. I'm pumped. :D

I have skied Lower FIS :shock: ...twice I think. Many moons ago though. Don't have South Bound or Spin Out though...so I'm going to have to ski the long run out two more times. :x

skigal
01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Rumble, Egan's Woods, Lew's line and the newer woods trails at North. Kept saying I'd get over to North and check them out but never got there last year.

BushMogulMaster
01-26-2007, 09:51 PM
If it's at North, I've skied it.... many many times. I've still got about half of South to add to my resume in the coming weeks.

Strat
01-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Quite a bit of the mogulled expert terrain... I know some snowboarders love the bumps but I am not among that crowd...

Let's see... The Mall, Stein's, Paradise and Paradise Extension, Spills, everything on Castlerock except for Middle Earth and pieces of Troll Road, Morning Star, Village Run, Out to Lunch, and the In Road and Out Road, not like those are actual trails... over at North, Black Diamond, FIS, Bravo, Exterm/Lower Exterm, Way Back, Spin Out, Southbound, Encore... oh and I guess much of the woods, even though I'm not sure that counts as "trails"... haven't done Lew's or Egan's, Exterm Woods, Tumbler Woods, "Graduation Woods"... yep that's it.

Now who can say they've done every single one?

ski_it
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I really thought I had skied all of them, but I looked at the Lift/Trail Report and found some I haven't:
* "Castletrock Hi & Lo Road" - it's almost as bad as Zip. Sugarbush's shortest trail?
* "Troll Road"
* "Cat's Meow" - unless you live in South Village/Snow Creek condos?
* "Halfpipe" - I know it doesn't count as one of the 111 trails, but no, I've never dropped in. Maybe if they build one this year? (don't tell my wife)
* "Slide Brook Tour" - Also not on the trailcount but definitely want to do an 'official' tour this year with the Outback Guides once they start running them for skiers. are they running this weekend?

smootharc
01-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Tumbler is sweet right now - at least it was on Tuesday. Pick your way down the first run so you can see where the hazards are - then let 'er rip on #2!!

Heck - even Lower FIS is open...a trail that eludes many!

...all skied suberb Friday. Lots of blown in snow in troughs. Nobody on 'em. Perhaps it was the scary cold that kept sane people away.

skiladi
01-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Quite a bit of the mogulled expert terrain... I know some snowboarders love the bumps but I am not among that crowd...

Let's see... The Mall, Stein's, Paradise and Paradise Extension, Spills, everything on Castlerock except for Middle Earth and pieces of Troll Road, Morning Star, Village Run, Out to Lunch, and the In Road and Out Road, not like those are actual trails... over at North, Black Diamond, FIS, Bravo, Exterm/Lower Exterm, Way Back, Spin Out, Southbound, Encore... oh and I guess much of the woods, even though I'm not sure that counts as "trails"... haven't done Lew's or Egan's, Exterm Woods, Tumbler Woods, "Graduation Woods"... yep that's it.

I could but I keep discovering more. I've done everything on the map and lots of off-piste but I have yet to do Church. :shock: A couple people have offered to go with me but if it requires a cliff drop I think I'll pass. ; } I know a few off-piste I've yet to do but of all the ones I know of I think Church may be the one I never do. ; {

Plowboy
01-27-2007, 12:06 PM

ME 8)

skiladi
01-27-2007, 03:54 PM

ME 8)

All off-piste included :?:

Strat
01-27-2007, 04:02 PM

ME 8)

Well you can never really say "all" off-piste, can you? I mean if you skied down the LT all the way to Mt. Abe and still made it back for last chair you could still say you were on the Sugarbush off-piste...

8)

obsession
01-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I have skiied every trail on both mountains including lots of off-piste..[/quote]

sugarboarder
01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Here's an "extra" - the backside of Mt. Ellen off Extermintor, ending up in Jerusalem. First time was by mistake on a really snowy cloudy dark day - but the run was amazing. I kept thinking, "man, nobody has touched this today" - then I stopped and all I could hear was silence - at which point I realized where I was. :) So I worked right towards Rt. 17 and the little shelter down there, found the logging road, followed that down (more great snow!) then go to sugar lines and followed those to a house. The woman who lived there opens the back door and says "Are you from Sugarbush? You're the first one this year", (it was March 6th - my birthday). She said "are you okay - people are usually half dead and scared to death by the time they get here". I told her I was GREAT!! She gave me coffee, a sandwich and cookies, and then her husband drove me to the Jerusalem store, where I hitched a ride with a COMPLETE PSYCHO about 2/3rd's of the way up the gap - at which point he just about burned off his tires and nearly put the Impala in a ditch...I walked the rest of the way to the top and was picked up by his "friend" who was going to pick up his kidas at Mt. Ellen for them both...had to move the rifles around in the back seat to get the board in, but he took me all the way back and I got two more runs in the Exterm woods!! A day I'll never forget!

The backside is nice if you drop a car, and keep working right as soon as you drop over...if you do it on purpose!! 8)

random_ski_guy
01-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Here's an "extra" - the backside of Mt. Ellen off Extermintor, ending up in Jerusalem. First time was by mistake on a really snowy cloudy dark day - but the run was amazing. I kept thinking, "man, nobody has touched this today" - then I stopped and all I could hear was silence - at which point I realized where I was. :) So I worked right towards Rt. 17 and the little shelter down there, found the logging road, followed that down (more great snow!) then go to sugar lines and followed those to a house. The woman who lived there opens the back door and says "Are you from Sugarbush? You're the first one this year", (it was March 6th - my birthday). She said "are you okay - people are usually half dead and scared to death by the time they get here". I told her I was GREAT!! She gave me coffee, a sandwich and cookies, and then her husband drove me to the Jerusalem store, where I hitched a ride with a COMPLETE PSYCHO about 2/3rd's of the way up the gap - at which point he just about burned off his tires and nearly put the Impala in a ditch...I walked the rest of the way to the top and was picked up by his "friend" who was going to pick up his kidas at Mt. Ellen for them both...had to move the rifles around in the back seat to get the board in, but he took me all the way back and I got two more runs in the Exterm woods!! A day I'll never forget!

The backside is nice if you drop a car, and keep working right as soon as you drop over...if you do it on purpose!! 8)

that is one heck of a great story. got anymore lik'em? what year did this take place? :D

Strat
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM

That double ridgeline up there will fool even the best navigators...

I have a good story... doesn't involve me in the trees exactly... so I was at North doing the cruisers with my sister and my friend, we ran into a few guys I know from school, serious barkeaters, they'd already been out to Hole In The Wall and other North adventures, and it was 10 am...
So a few hours later we're taking Northway over to Inverness, cruising along at a good 5 mph, when suddenly this cracking sound appears from above us and out pop these guys! Right out of the thick stubby pines right there, right onto us! One of the guys actually landed on my sister's board... that was how immaculate the timing was... so it turns out they had the bright idea to hike the LT to Mad River... they made it like 3/4 of a mile and decided to call it quits, and descend down the ridge (through the steep, tight, thick Spruces) and hope they were still on Sugarbush property... turns out they were... and they landed right up on top of us, after their 2+ hour journey... what are the odds...

BushMogulMaster
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM

That double ridgeline up there will fool even the best navigators...

I have a good story... doesn't involve me in the trees exactly... so I was at North doing the cruisers with my sister and my friend, we ran into a few guys I know from school, serious barkeaters, they'd already been out to Hole In The Wall and other North adventures, and it was 10 am...
So a few hours later we're taking Northway over to Inverness, cruising along at a good 5 mph, when suddenly this cracking sound appears from above us and out pop these guys! Right out of the thick stubby pines right there, right onto us! One of the guys actually landed on my sister's board... that was how immaculate the timing was... so it turns out they had the bright idea to hike the LT to Mad River... they made it like 3/4 of a mile and decided to call it quits, and descend down the ridge (through the steep, tight, thick Spruces) and hope they were still on Sugarbush property... turns out they were... and they landed right up on top of us, after their 2+ hour journey... what are the odds...

:lol:

Great stories!

sugarboarder
01-27-2007, 11:18 PM
I'll have to expand on the PSYCHO ride from the J-store upwards when I have time Monday...it's pretty darn funny!

RSG - this was March 1999.

random_ski_guy
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Finally made it to the mtn today. Managed to eliminate a few from my list of unskied runs. Got to Tumbler, The Cliffs and Exterminator at north (yes, its true I hadn't skied all of those because I don't get up much). Also skied The Mall, Sunrise and Morning Glory at South. Sunrise and Morning Glory I had partially skied before...but bailed out when snow got too thin. Now I've skied them end to end.

More to eliminate tomorrow. It was a great day out there. Continued fresh snowmaking on Stein's, The Cliffs and Birch made for phenomenal skiing!

Strat
01-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Finally made it to the mtn today. Managed to eliminate a few from my list of unskied runs. Got to Tumbler, The Cliffs and Exterminator at north (yes, its true I hadn't skied all of those because I don't get up much). Also skied The Mall, Sunrise and Morning Glory at South. Sunrise and Morning Glory I had partially skied before...but bailed out when snow got too thin. Now I've skied them end to end.

More to eliminate tomorrow. It was a great day out there. Continued fresh snowmaking on Stein's, The Cliffs and Birch made for phenomenal skiing!
Haha, I like Morning Glory but the trail is indeed Morning Star... did look nice today, minus the grassy gaps between a few of the moguls...

random_ski_guy
01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Oh right its morning star, my bad.

Treeskier
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Skied all the trails at both Sugarbush and Mad River. Have been to Jarusilum twice (leaving a car). West Hill Rd, Mad River to Sugarbush (very very thick). And pretty much all the trees between Mad River and Sugarbush. Is not this valley great! The only thing I have not skied is Octopus Garden at Mad River never been there when the snow was right.

Plowboy
01-28-2007, 09:20 PM

ME 8)

YES :wink:

kcyanks1
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM

I could but I keep discovering more. I've done everything on the map and lots of off-piste but I have yet to do Church. :shock: A couple people have offered to go with me but if it requires a cliff drop I think I'll pass. ; } I know a few off-piste I've yet to do but of all the ones I know of I think Church may be the one I never do. ; {

I don't know if it counts as doing it, but if you go way to skier's left on Church, the drop is quite small. I did it where it was probably 8 feet (the biggest cliff I have been off of), and if I had gone a few feet more to the left it would
ve been considerably shorter (though I think you'd have to jump out a little more). If you go off the side route there is a a second small drop which takes you to the bottom of the big drop.

kcyanks1
01-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Skied all the trails at both Sugarbush and Mad River. Have been to Jarusilum twice (leaving a car). West Hill Rd, Mad River to Sugarbush (very very thick). And pretty much all the trees between Mad River and Sugarbush. Is not this valley great! The only thing I have not skied is Octopus Garden at Mad River never been there when the snow was right.

Do you know how hard is Octopus Garden is compared to Paradise? Also, how big are the cliffs on Three Cliffs? I pretty much know where Octopus Garden is and think I have some vague idea where Three Cliffs is, but have not gone, since I don't want to get into something over my head.

kcyanks1
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
At North, I haven't skied Black Diamond and the relatively newly-added-to-the map woods. I'm sure there are other trails I haven't skied, especially at North, but those would be the ones that I feel like I've missed.

sugarboarder
01-29-2007, 06:10 PM

I don't know if it counts as doing it, but if you go way to skier's left on Church, the drop is quite small. I did it where it was probably 8 feet (the biggest cliff I have been off of), and if I had gone a few feet more to the left it would
ve been considerably shorter (though I think you'd have to jump out a little more). If you go off the side route there is a a second small drop which takes you to the bottom of the big drop.

If you go off Church at extreme skier's left - make sure you go immediately back to your right afterwards, before you continue on down in the trees - esp. if the snow is deep - or you will find yourself struggling in the snow in a very flat area with big closely spaced evergreens!!

BushMogulMaster
01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
or you will find yourself struggling in the snow in a very flat area with big closely spaced evergreens!!

That's always fun :roll:

I've actually never made my way to Church. It's on my to-do list. :D

sugarboarder
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
or you will find yourself struggling in the snow in a very flat area with big closely spaced evergreens!!

...not that I've ever actually done that of course... :roll:

BushMogulMaster
01-29-2007, 09:35 PM

...not that I've ever actually done that of course... :roll:

Oh, no... none of us have ever been in that position....... :wink:

kcyanks1
01-29-2007, 11:01 PM

If you go off Church at extreme skier's left - make sure you go immediately back to your right afterwards, before you continue on down in the trees - esp. if the snow is deep - or you will find yourself struggling in the snow in a very flat area with big closely spaced evergreens!!

I didn't know about the flat area, but the obvious path is to go to the right. There is a small clearing at the bottom of the drop on the extreme left, and then a larger opening toward the right, which is where the second drop I spoke of is, and which then puts you at the bottom of the bigger drop. At that point I maybe traversed some back toward skier's right, and then went down with a strong angle toward skier's right, at times traversing a little ways more toward the right as I headed down. I've been there twice and that plan worked fine both times.

sugarboarder
01-29-2007, 11:37 PM
So...you are saying you went to the right? :roll:

kcyanks1
01-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I was agreeing with you in a very wordy way. (Unless you are making some joke here that I am missing.)

sugarboarder
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I was agreeing with you in a very wordy way. (Unless you are making some joke here that I am missing.)

Yes and no...just being a smart ass about your "wordy" answer!! (I was bored) :P

kcyanks1
01-30-2007, 01:58 PM

Yes and no...just being a smart ass about your "wordy" answer!! (I was bored) :P

Understood :-)

tymoguls
02-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm fairly new to SB and am skiing ME only. So, there's lots of stuff I haven't skied. But with the great cover today, I knocked off a couple of gems. First times on Tumbler and Semi-Tough. They aren't the biggest/badest trails on the mountain, but I'm not the biggest/badest skier on the mountain either. Today, both were thoroughly enjoyable ... Tumbler had big soft waist high bumps and Semi-Tough was about the nicest jaunt through the woods on a marked trail you could find anywhere. Eventually my legs just couldn't take another run. Can't wait for more!

bsideindy
02-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I've been eyeing the trees to skier right of Birch Run. Looks like you could take a line from Birch to the drainage towards castlerock. You can see the line when riding Bravo. Anyone done this? Looks doable though not sure about an exit strategy.

Strat
02-07-2007, 06:57 AM
I've been eyeing the trees to skier right of Birch Run. Looks like you could take a line from Birch to the drainage towards castlerock. You can see the line when riding Bravo. Anyone done this? Looks doable though not sure about an exit strategy.
No, it's a horrible area, full of logs and blow downs and rocks and all kinds of things... just never go there...

:wink:

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 07:01 AM
:shock: Listen to Strat. He knows best...... :D

Tin Woodsman
02-07-2007, 07:33 AM
No, it's a horrible area, full of logs and blow downs and rocks and all kinds of things... just never go there...

A man wise beyond his years.

Strat
02-07-2007, 08:17 AM

A man wise beyond his years.
Interestingly that's not the first time I've heard that... but yes, I try.

noski
02-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Strat, shouldn't there be a comma after "Interestingly"? (Sorry, couldn't help myself. Please return to your regularly scheduled posting.) :wink:

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM

Strat, shouldn't there be a comma after "Interestingly"? (Sorry, couldn't help myself. Please return to your regularly scheduled posting.) :wink:

:lol: :lol: Move it over to the misc. discussion...tavern whatever board :P