PDA

View Full Version : Returning to slopes after an ACL/MCL reconstruction ...

TimKeogh
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Are there any good, useful sites about this?

My dear wife blew her knee out on Murphy's Glade 1/8/04 and just got back on skis yesterday.

She was very anxious and hesitant... :roll:

sugarboarder
01-22-2007, 07:45 PM

My dear wife blew her knee out on Murphy's Glade 1/8/04 and just got back on skis yesterday.

Maybe not "sites" but good specific injury/surgery-recovery PT should have been part of her recovery and would/should get her to the point of feeling strong and confident. Knee braces can help with the confidence too, even if they can't prevent injury - I've worn them on both knees when on the hill, for 10+ years now...the neoprene ones with the hinged supports on the sides.

Lostone
01-24-2007, 08:41 AM
I would be surprised if there weren't sites... because there are sites for... everything! :shock: :wink:

I'd ask whoever she was seeing for her PT. They likely know of a few good ones.

And take it slow and easy, starting. On the good side, there are a lot of reconstructed knees out there on the slopes. 8)

Yard Sale
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I tore both MCLs and worked hard to rehab and develop both legs. Have since been skiing for many years without braces and without incident (Knock on wood). Regrdless of what level skier she may be, I recomend a series of ski lessons to recapture and improve form, which besides physical rehab and training is the best preventative measure. It will certainly boost the confidence.

Good luck.

Tin Woodsman
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Lots of good advice, input, and stories available on the Gimp Central sub-forum of the Teton Gravity forums. Probably a similar area over at EpicSki as well.

01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Try AZ too. Lots of folks there on new knees...

djspookman
02-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Since you're in S. Burlington, go to the Rehab Gym in Williston (Maple Tree Place) they helped me get back on skiis after my knee injury in 2003 w/ an aggressive althetic training program. HIGHLY recommended!

dave