PDA

View Full Version : Guns under Gate House Lift on Saturday

ScoobySnack
01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
First of all - Great weekend skiing as most of you know. I was happily surprised that the winds didn't hold us up, and we had a great time (had a lot of friends up this weekend - they loved SB). The mountain team was great (especially the guys down by the ski drop off).

One issue though was that some friends (and my wife) prefer the easier trails under the Gate House lift for the most part, and one of their main questions was why the snow guns were running right under that lift all day on Saturday, thereby making each ride up a bit uncomfortable with the guns blowing up onto the chairs. Did the guns need to stay there all day? Note: I only rode it up once that day, so I'm getting this info secondhand - apologies if I am mistaken about them being on there all day.
Anyway, I figured that I would post their question here.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

On the positive (other than the skiing) I'd like to point out the rave reviews I heard for the ski school people. Friends put their kids on skis for the first time this weekend, and were really happy with how good the instructors were.

BushMogulMaster
01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
One issue though was that some friends (and my wife) prefer the easier trails under the Gate House lift for the most part, and one of their main questions was why the snow guns were running right under that lift all day on Saturday, thereby making each ride up a bit uncomfortable with the guns blowing up onto the chairs. Did the guns need to stay there all day? Note: I only rode it up once that day, so I'm getting this info secondhand - apologies if I am mistaken about them being on there all day.

I wasn't at South Saturday, but if the guns were on all day, I would say YES... they did need to stay on. I know as soon as we get 15" it seems like the slopes don't need any more snow, but the fresh stuff skis of and packs down quickly, and those trails under Gate House are some absolutely crucial (not to mention high-traffic) areas. I do agree that snowmaking in the face isn't always the most pleasant thing, especially when it's cold and windy like it was Saturday. But, I would still say there it was with good reason.

sugarboarder
01-22-2007, 10:14 AM
...one of their main questions was why the snow guns were running right under that lift all day on Saturday, thereby making each ride up a bit uncomfortable with the guns blowing up onto the chairs.

Fact of ski life these days - I'm no fan of it either, but...you'll have that.

Just be glad you weren't on the chair at Loon Saturday with the guns blowing under like I was...in a RACE SUIT!! :shock:

win
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
We would not normally want to runs guns under a lift on the weekend, but given the importance of getting Hot Shot finished and catching up snowmaking after the warm temperatures, we elected to stay on Hot Shot and finish it so we could move to other trails like Sleeper. it takes a lot to start up and shut down. Sorry for the inconvenience!

freeheel_skier
01-22-2007, 09:57 PM
That is an inconvienience I don't mind. No worries! You can't please everybody. If SB wasn't making snow there someone would complain....maybe me :? :lol: