PDA

View Full Version : Surface Lifts re:Windhold

BushMogulMaster
01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
In light of recent wind issues, I think a couple of surface lifts at ME would make sense (I know I brought this up in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own with all the windholds lately). A couple of Pomas/T-bars would be a minimal monetary investment and would practically solve the windhold problems at Mt Ellen. Tuck them near the trees and they are basically unaffected by anything... you can run them in darn near any conditions.

I don't have any ingenious ideas for placement, but I've thought a little bit about it. How about at least two... one running between GMX and Sunny D terminating near the drive terminal of SBX (easy access to beginner terrain, SBX, and NRX). Another starting between the bottom of Cliffs and Tumbler terminating near the Glen House (easy access to all of the mid-mt trails, easy access to Summit). Like I said, I don't know if these ideas are feasible/great or not. But, they would definitely solve the windhold problems. ME could be open when the rest of the state is shut down (well, that may be a bit of an over statement, but hey....).

What do you think?

Win..... any thoughts on the feasibility of this?

sugarboarder
01-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Me like-um Poma lift...miss old days.

BushMogulMaster
01-20-2007, 07:34 PM

The old Poma F-12s are the best. Nothing like being lifted five feet off the ground by a detachable pomalift!

Win... let's have a few F-12s!!! What say ye? :wink:

freeheel_skier
01-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I like skins...used them after lunch!

BushMogulMaster
01-20-2007, 07:43 PM
one running between GMX and Sunny D terminating near the drive terminal of SBX (easy access to beginner terrain, SBX, and NRX). Another starting between the bottom of Cliffs and Tumbler terminating near the Glen House

I know, I know... I'm quoting myself now. Just wanted to back up and nix my own idea, because I forgot that this lift would have to cross the Crackerjack/Straight Shot intersection, and you really can't ski under/across a surface lift. So scratch that idea. But maybe a surface lift on the Inverness side somewhere?

win
01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Too profound a question for a Saturday night after a couple of glasses of wine! I'll reflect on this tomorrow am on Morningstar!

BushMogulMaster
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Too profound a question for a Saturday night after a couple of glasses of wine! I'll reflect on this tomorrow am on Morningstar!

Sounds good! I'll be thinking about it while getting first tracks on Walt's Trail... quite possibly the most exciting green-circle in Vermont :)

skiladi
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM

What wine would that be? Inquiring minds want to know. ; }

sugarboarder
01-20-2007, 10:59 PM

The old Poma F-12s are the best. Nothing like being lifted five feet off the ground by a detachable pomalift!

Win... let's have a few F-12s!!! What say ye? :wink:

When I was a kid at Burke, they used to have a slight downslope right after the loading spot on the Dipper poma. The ops used to let us pull the poma way back, then they'd pull the trigger and just LAUNCH us about 15-20 feet acroos the "gap"...cool!! 8)

freeheel_skier
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Ball Cru$her! :oops:

sugarboarder
01-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Nah...I was in third grade or so, not enough weight to crush anything...but you're right, might be a different story now!! :shock:

skiladi
01-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Nah...I was in third grade or so, not enough weight to crush anything...but you're right, might be a different story now!! :shock:

The only thing I have to crush is my inner thigh and I rode one on my board at Fernie(only option from a certain area) and I was crying when I reached the top! :cry:

sugarboarder
01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
There's no crying in snowboarding!! :cry:

Hardbooter
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
A few comments about surface lifts: (I also commented in the other thread earlier.)

If you think that surface lifts can't cross skier traffic, you need to get on some of those good european long distance surface lifts. You don't need coffee in the morning when you're on a surface lift and you see beginners flying at you at 40 mph, out-of-control, with a deer in the headlights look as you cross a groomed run. Even though I'd love to see a few more surface lifts, I don't recommend crossing skier traffic for the bush.

Also, someone mentioned wanting a surface lift in the inverness area. There is one. The GMVS poma is still there and each year they go out and try and get it running. Nice powder stash along that line too. Unfortunately it only covers the racing part of inverness and not the whole length of the chairlift.

Also, surface lifts would take away some trail area unless we want to cut a whole new lift line somewhere and there aren't a lot of options for that if we're looking to duplicate the areas covered by the existing chairs.

Strat
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Also, someone mentioned wanting a surface lift in the inverness area. There is one. The GMVS poma is still there and each year they go out and try and get it running. Nice powder stash along that line too. Unfortunately it only covers the racing part of inverness and not the whole length of the chairlift.

It's not like they're actively trying to get it going, it didn't pass state inspection a few years back and now it's just not worth taking down...

BushMogulMaster
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM

It's not like they're actively trying to get it going, it didn't pass state inspection a few years back and now it's just not worth taking down...

Yes, and when it does open, it's generally not open to public. The lift technically belongs to GMVS, IIRC. You may notice that it's not on the map, and isn't one of Sugarbush's 16 lifts. Therefore, that doesn't count!

BushMogulMaster
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
A few comments about surface lifts: (I also commented in the other thread earlier.)

If you think that surface lifts can't cross skier traffic, you need to get on some of those good european long distance surface lifts. You don't need coffee in the morning when you're on a surface lift and you see beginners flying at you at 40 mph, out-of-control, with a deer in the headlights look as you cross a groomed run. Even though I'd love to see a few more surface lifts, I don't recommend crossing skier traffic for the bush.

Also, surface lifts would take away some trail area unless we want to cut a whole new lift line somewhere and there aren't a lot of options for that if we're looking to duplicate the areas covered by the existing chairs.

As for crossing traffic... that's why I retracted my first suggestion about crossing Crackerjack.

Regarding the GMVS poma also... since it only covers the area you mention and thus does not go to the base, it is absolutely worthless in windhold conditions because you can't get to it without another lift.

I disagree, though, with your last comment. You're worried about taking some trail area, but what good is that trail area when the lifts can't run for you to ski it? I don't think there's any particular win-win solution to this problem, but a couple of surface lifts would improve things on windy days by 300%, IMHO. Also, there actually is room, for example, between Tumbler and Cliffs for a surface lift line (plenty of room, in fact). In this situation, I just think that the pros of surface lifts FAR outweigh the cons.

Strat
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Yes, and when it does open, it's generally not open to public. The lift technically belongs to GMVS, IIRC. You may notice that it's not on the map, and isn't one of Sugarbush's 16 lifts. Therefore, that doesn't count!
Oh, I didn't know they even run it at all anymore... gotcha...

So, Sugarbushhistory.com update plans in the works?

BushMogulMaster
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM

Yup... I'll be working on it all week. I'll let you know when everything's up and running. I'll email about some other website stuff, as well.

Strat
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Yup... I'll be working on it all week. I'll let you know when everything's up and running. I'll email about some other website stuff, as well.
Tres bien... continue on...

8)

BushMogulMaster
01-22-2007, 05:54 PM

8)

Okay, thread hijacker! Weren't we talking about surface lifts? :wink:

Strat
01-22-2007, 06:04 PM

8)

Okay, thread hijacker! Weren't we talking about surface lifts? :wink:
I don't understand why threads aren't allowed to deviate from the original title topic...
But anyway...
I took a run last year on the Welcome Mat on a boring day when the Super Bravo lines were still massive at 2 PM... it was awesome!