PDA

View Full Version : Weekend weather........

ahm
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
PROLONGED LIGHT SNOWFALL EVENT ON TAP FROM LATER TONIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY NIGHT. LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND NORTHWEST WINDS WILL PRODUCE
HIGHER AMOUNTS IN TERRAIN FAVORED AREAS. NO ONE PERIOD WILL SEE
HEAVY SNOWFALL...BUT BY END OF THE 36 HR PERIOD SATURDAY NIGHT
TOTAL SNOWFALL SHOULD BE 6 TO 8 INCHES OVER THE HIGHER
TERRAIN...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES IN THE VALLEYS. NO HEADLINES WITH
THIS EVENT AS TIME DURATION TOO LONG...EACH 12 HR PERIOD WILL
ONLY RECEIVE 1 TO 3 INCHES DEPENDING ON ELEVATION.

WINDS WILL STRENGTHEN FROM FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AS
SURFACE LOW BOMBS AS IT MOVES UP THE MAIN COAST. EXPECT SURFACE
WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH POSSIBLE. AT THIS TIME
WIND EVENT BEYOND ADVISORY TIME PERIOD CRITERIA...BUT BEARS
WATCHING IN COMING SHIFTS.

BushMogulMaster
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Very cool 8)

Hardbooter
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Very cool

Very cool except for the wind part.

I guess we need to set up a base though and if the snow blows off the trails, I know where it goes.

freeheel_skier
01-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Worried about the wind. Didn't get out yesterday. Checked the website @ 10am yesterday and everything was on wind hold :shock:

ahm
01-19-2007, 06:48 AM
AS THE DEEPENING LOW MOVES THRU MARITIMES TONIGHT...NW FLOW WILL
INCREASE...AND GUSTY WNDS WILL CONTINUE RIGHT THRU SAT NIGHT.
WINDS WILL BE CLOSE TO ADVISORY CRITERIA LATER TONIGHT INTO SAT
NIGHT WITH SUSTAINED WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH AND GUSTS 40-45 MPH PSBL.
THE COMBINATION OF FAVORABLE CYCLONIC FLOW...CAA AND LLVL
MSTR...ALONG WITH SHRTWVS ROTATING AROUND CLOSED LOW IN ERN
CANADA...WILL RESULT IN PROLONGED PERIOD OF UPSLOPE SNOWS. SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS MAY EXCEED 6 INCHES OVER WRN SLOPES OF NRN GREEN MTNS AND IN
PARTS OF ADRNDKS...BUT NO HEADLINES ATTM DUE LONG DURATION OF
EVENT...AND NO HEAVY AMOUNTS EXPECTED IN ANY 12 HR PERIOD.
ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION TONIGHT THRU SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE
VALLEY LOCATIONS WILL BE LIGHT...WITH A DUSTING TO A COUPLE OF
INCHES. MAX TEMPS SATURDAY WILL NOT BE RISING MUCH FROM MORNING LOWS
DUE CLOUD COVER...WINDS AND CONTD CAA. EXPECT HIGHS MAINLY IN
TEENS. COMBINATION OF WIND AND TEMPS FALLING TO AROUND ZERO SAT
NIGHT WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILLS APRCHG ADVISORY CRITERIA.

Bring the skins for Sat morning, or maybe the area will kick off the "snocat" season...............

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
MRG cam has looked good all day. More importantly,

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage/LoadPage.aspx?loc=kbgm&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none

It's comin' right at us!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9803/11/lloyd.bridges.obit/link.airplane.jpg

freeheel_skier
01-19-2007, 03:07 PM
"Surely you can't be serious" :lol:

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
"Surely you can't be serious" :lol:

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

To wit:

http://www.madriverglen.com/?Page=cams.html

random_ski_guy
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
sweet...its dropping the hammer down. love that wrap-around moisture...'tis the best kind. :D

Hardbooter
01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe we need to dress for hiking tomorrow...

Yahoo weather:

Tomorrow: Windy with occasional snow showers. High 14F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

noski
01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
the Valley Cam shows a nice squall coming through. Tomorrow check out the wind using the Fire Dept flag (you can make it out when it is earlier in the day, sort of hard to see right now, it's snowing so hard :) ) Or look at Norm's cam windsock.

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Maybe we need to dress for hiking tomorrow...

Yahoo weather:

Tomorrow: Windy with occasional snow showers. High 14F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

No doubt.

Just wondering for those in the know - is there any particular run in the C-Rock pod that tends to do better with NW winds?

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Per the 2:45 update, 4" total since last night and Inverness, Waterfall, and Lower Grinder (whole thing) now open. That's huge for traffic dispersal. Domino has been added since this morning - also a plus.

I'm thinking that the mid-mountain expert pod at North is skiing pretty nice right about now despite, or perhaps especially b/c of, its reserved status.

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
sweet...its dropping the hammer down. love that wrap-around moisture...'tis the best kind. :D
Continuing the conversation with myself, this isn't even the wrp-around yet, which is a good thing. This is moisture from a small impulse coming in from the west. As you can see on Canadian radar, there is quite a bit more to come from this one out to our NW. Moreover, the storm in the Maritimes has just now begun to stall and wind up, so the moisture hasn't been thrown back over us yet - that comes tonight into tomorrow with the higher winds. In short, with 4" on the ground already and another 36 hours to go with this event, I'm starting to get extremely happy in the pants.

Boing!

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=QUE

Hardbooter
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Personally, I'm not planning on heading to anything in-bounds and I'm not sure that it's kosher to mention it on this chat room if I was planning such an excursion. Actually, I don't really know the rules for that in this chat room.

But if I were to speculate about a CR trail that might hold snow under windy conditions it would be rumble. I'm not sure there is enough base to cover those rocks. I know that the very top part of those trails can be deceiving. So you can't tell which run is worth taking by inspecting the first 10 turns. Often you don't know which one has the pow until you hear about the run you skipped from someone in the Castlerock pub.

random_ski_guy
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Continuing the conversation with myself, this isn't even the wrp-around yet, which is a good thing. This is moisture from a small impulse coming in from the west. As you can see on Canadian radar, there is quite a bit more to come from this one out to our NW. Moreover, the storm in the Maritimes has just now begun to stall and wind up, so the moisture hasn't been thrown back over us yet - that comes tonight into tomorrow with the higher winds. In short, with 4" on the ground already and another 36 hours to go with this event, I'm starting to get extremely happy in the pants.

Boing!

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=QUE

Ok you got me with a snow source technicality, but whether is lake feed or Quebec-maritime born flakes, its all good...and both typically flow after a storm explodes off the Canadian coast.

By the way, Canadians have radar? Boy Tin, you are the go to person on all websites related to weather.

Looking good indeed. Schwing! :)

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Personally, I'm not planning on heading to anything in-bounds and I'm not sure that it's kosher to mention it on this chat room if I was planning such an excursion. Actually, I don't really know the rules for that in this chat room.

But if I were to speculate about a CR trail that might hold snow under windy conditions it would be rumble. I'm not sure there is enough base to cover those rocks. I know that the very top part of those trails can be deceiving. So you can't tell which run is worth taking by inspecting the first 10 turns. Often you don't know which one has the pow until you hear about the run you skipped from someone in the Castlerock pub.

Not hitting anything in-bounds? Will you be in the lodge then? :lol: :lol:

I'm quite certain the Internet police won't pull me over for stating in no uncertain terms that I plan to hike to terrain that is inaccessible should windhold show it's face tomorrow. As for Rumble, me thinks that's going to require another storm cycle or two before I'd tread in those waters. In general, C-Rock run and Middle Earth are considered the best options due to lack of rocks/cliffs below. Not sure which one would be the pick of the litter though.

Hardbooter
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I have heard of the patrol waiting at the bottom of the castlerock runout and pulling tickets for poaching. That would be a sucky way to lose a season pass.

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I have heard of the patrol waiting at the bottom of the castlerock runout and pulling tickets for poaching. That would be a sucky way to lose a season pass.

Yes, it would be. Thankfully I don't have a season pass.

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Ok you got me with a snow source technicality, but whether is lake feed or Quebec-maritime born flakes, its all good...and both typically flow after a storm explodes off the Canadian coast.

By the way, Canadians have radar? Boy Tin, you are the go to person on all websites related to weather.

Looking good indeed. Schwing! :)

Dude, I've got weather sites all up in that byatch. My office is like a weather NORAD in the winte,r and I'm at DEFCON 2 for significant upslope/clipper conditions.

Here's a picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6d/WOPR.jpg

freeheel_skier
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
If the all the lifts are on wind hold what is the big deal! Just leave the pass "at home" :?

Yard Sale
01-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Poaching? I've heard that term regarding Slide Brook, but wouldn't excusions "in bounds" not on open terrain fall under The Off Trail Policy You're on your own without retribution? I apologize if this is a foolish question.

P.S. I'll NEVER be taken alive!

skiladi
01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Poaching? I've heard that term regarding Slide Brook, but wouldn't excusions "in bounds" not on open terrain fall under The Off Trail Policy You're on your own without retribution? I apologize if this is a foolish question.

P.S. I'll NEVER be taken alive!

I only know two things for sure. When the CR lift was down ( before replacement ) hiking to the Rock was encouraged.
When the Mt. was on windhold a patroller told me on my way up " No hiking". He said , " I told you , that's my job." :wink: so kinda ambiguous but if you are not a complete jerk you can farm some fresh w/o consequence.

ski_resort_observer
01-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Sking any closed trail is poaching, whether it has a rope or not, across it. Sking OB from a resort can be a more serious thing. I remember when JH banned Doug Combs(RIP) from the resort for doing that numerous times. It ironic that a few years later they changed the policy and have allowed it for a few years now. That's the law in Vermont. Like most laws, enforcement at times might be alittle gray. It can be a major hassle for the ski patrol plus other bad side effects if anyone gets lost or injured.

4 guys poached a closed trail at kmart a few years ago and ended up getting lost. Thousands were spent, many volunteers searched to find them. If memory serves they each ended up paying a bunch of money, part of the cost and hassle they caused ducking the rope. Vermont does have a law which allows law enforcement/judicial system to levy a fine to defer the expenses they cause.

With all due respect, IMHO discussing it here regarding where you might be poaching is not a real bright thing to do. To be honest I think most of us take risks from time to time even in our daily lives. Everyone has to decide for themselves. I realize alot of folks feel diferently about skiing closed trails, that's cool, diferent strokes for diferent folks. :D

shadyjay
01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
In most cases I've seen on the trail report, Sugarbush lists trails as "open" even though the lift is "windhold" or "closed". The X still appears in the Open? column. So my guess would be its ok. I don't plan to do it mainly since its not my thing. I can wait the extra day for the wind to die down.

-Jay
(mobile version)

--southern vermont for work & riding - will return northside wednesday--

ski_it
01-20-2007, 01:02 AM
When we got a big dump the first weekend of March last year, and strong winds putting everything but C-rock and Bravo on windhold, with long lift lines at the base, Hardy was telling everyone in the line who would listen to him that they could take the C-rock chair up and hike the LT over to the LP summit. Those that did had very big smiles.

I would assume that this was sanctioned activity since Hardy himself was encouraging it. He was even giving people unfamiliar with the area directions on exactly where to go. Despite Heaven's Gate being on windhold, all of the trails were still listed as open, so no ropes were ducked.

Lostone
01-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Check today's snow report.

Why are you reading this???

Why am I writing it???

Outahere!! :D

ski_resort_observer
01-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I would assume that this was sanctioned activity since Hardy himself was encouraging it. He was even giving people unfamiliar with the area directions on exactly where to go. Despite Heaven's Gate being on windhold, all of the trails were still listed as open, so no ropes were ducked.

Absolutely.....I assume What Lostone was alluding to is that it was announced on the website that hiking up trails serviced by a lift that goes on windhold today is a-ok too.

Lostone
01-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually, what I was alluding to was on today's snow report it sad that you could hike any trails where the lifts were on windhold.

What Ski_it was saying was also true. That day Hardy was suggesting that day was to traverse the Long Trail and ski the Heaven's Gate lift trails.

That is not always the case. They generally do not allow hiking up trails where they haven't got patrol at the upper station. You would appreciate that were you to be injured and have to wait to have a patroller brought above you to pick up a sled and ski down to you.

What I was also saying was that I should certainly not be playing on the computer, on a powder day. :roll: :lol:

Tin Woodsman
01-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Speaking of weather, the mountain is reporting 2" new as of 11:00 or so. MRG reports 3-4". Since that report was hoisted, two big blobs of moisture have moved over the SB/MRG region. Must be nice up there right now. Hmmm....

More forecast into the weekend as well. I liiiiike.

castlerock
01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
there are some rumblings about a coastal cyclogenesis event for the weekend of Feb 3/4........

Tin Woodsman
01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
there are some rumblings about a coastal cyclogenesis event for the weekend of Feb 3/4........Talk to me a week from now.

random_ski_guy
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
there are some rumblings about a coastal cyclogenesis event for the weekend of Feb 3/4........Talk to me a week from now.

Yeah, because about a week ago the models supported a coastal storm for this friday that has long since disappeared from the forecast.

That being said, a potential storm is better than none.

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
there are some rumblings about a coastal cyclogenesis event for the weekend of Feb 3/4........

Mmmmm...cyclogenesis...I went out with a girl named Cyclogenesis once. I called her "Stormy" for short. She left last spring - but promised to return with a vengeance!!

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Mmmmm...cyclogenesis...I went out with a girl named Cyclogenesis once. I called her "Stormy" for short. She left last spring - but promised to return with a vengeance!!

Was she hot? :wink:

I think there's a chance for some snow Saturday night into Sunday, but nothing substantial. I'm still waiting for a 3 foot dump!

smootharc
01-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Now if you can just get her to say "I do !", as opposed to becoming a runaway bride..... :wink:

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Nope, she was cold and nasty. :lol:

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Nope, she was cold and nasty. :lol:

Just my type :lol: