PDA

View Full Version : North or South Friday?

01-16-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm skiing Friday. I just noticed Spills, Ripcord and Paradise are now open again. I was hoping for Mall, Twist and Moonshine, and maybe Stein's. I prefer moguls and/or natural snow terrain. Based on that, what would you plan to ski this Friday? LP or Ellen?

freeheel_skier
01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
I've only been skiing ME this season. I really can't speak first hand about LP. :? However, I did ride some chairs with people who skied LP over the weekend (sat.,sun., mon.) and most commented on how much more snow ME had. :D

On the other hand, it's going to be very cold this week. Ideal for snowmaking. So LP might be a different story by Friday. I don't know if that helps. Check in again on Thurs. to see how things are shaping up. :)

Lostone
01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
North has much better manufactured snow. Bumps on Exterminator and FIS get good reviews.

Paradise and Spills are natural, tho thin, at the moment. Ripcord is under snowmaking, which Tin said was god, and I said was very sticky. (It was very sticky. As to whether or not that is good... :wink: ) Temps have dropped a lot, so those guns might be putting out a nice powder, by now. 8)

It is only Tuesday. Who knows what will be up by Friday? :roll: :lol:

BushMogulMaster
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Just to reiterate Lostone's and freeheel_skier's points, definitely ask again Thursday.

If you were coming out today, I would say Mt. Ellen unquestionably. But one just never knows what the rest of the week will bring :wink:

SKIQUATTRO
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
why not ski both??

01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
why not ski both??
That's gonna be the plan, I think. Ellen in the am and then over to LP for the afternoon.

noski
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
why not ski both??
That's gonna be the plan, I think. Ellen in the am and then over to LP for the afternoon.

If you have time, stop by the Visitor Center. I am not here on weekends, but it is still open every day.

win
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Definitely ask late Thursday and see if we are getting any natural stuff. We will have very good snowmaking temperatures this week. Our focus is to get Slowpoke and Hot Shot in good shape and then possibly work on Sleeper over the weekend if it is still cold enough at the base level. We were on Ripcord all day today and are coming off this afternoon and putting that capacity onto Snowball and Spring fling where were have been running all day as well. We might be able to open tomorrow sometime as we keep blowing. NASTAR by the weekend but we may do this week's ski bum race on Slow Poke as Spring fling probably shouldn't be groomed out until Friday. We also have some other areas like the lower portion of Upper Birland and Lower Organgrinder that need work. I would like to get on Stein's soon as well - possibly next week. At ME we were on Exterminator and are coming off that and moving over to Inverness so GMVS can get their needed training and racing space. That is 20 acres and takes several days using most of our capacity even in cold temperatures. Any excess will be used on Lower Crackerjack so we have some more beginner terrain. We blew a hole in the pipe on Which Way, so we need to get an excavator up there to fix it this week. Had we not blown the pipe we would have made snow there first and then gone to Inverness. ME is skiing really well, but with just 6-8" on natural snow, many more trails at LP could be ready with the hard base we now have. Exterminator is the pick of the day tomorrow. Bundle up!

shadyjay
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Crazy question perhaps....
does the Slide Brook Express plan to run on wknds now, with a little bit of snow in them their hills? Last time I saw it a couple weeks ago, there were some chairs still off.

Personally since I stay at North most of the time it doesn't concern me, but I have friends and fam coming up later this month and its nice to give them the whole tour of the mtns.

-Jay

Treeskier
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I would love to see North Lynx open soon. Wonder where in the snowmaking schedule it lies? They did blow lots of snow today and it was good. The snow event over the weekend did put a good base down every where. Now if we could just get a 2 feet of natural!!!!

Talked to people who skied Stowe Yesturday and contrary to their snow report they said they also got sleet and r--- at the end of the event. I also heard that Kmart got all r----

random_ski_guy
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Treeskier, something tells me you're more inclided to ski the backside rather than the front of north lynx (avitar perhaps). C'mon, are you really jonesing for sunrise and birches? Fine runs indeed, but I'm not buying that its your true motivation to ride the Lynx chair.

BushMogulMaster
01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Took my first LP runs of the season today. YIKES! Ripcord was the only place to find much skiable snow, and the snowmaking on it was really great... light and fluffy. Most of the mountain was hard as a rock, and the groomers were fast and a bit icy. Visibility was awful on the summit... couldn't differentiate between fog/snowmaking/snow surface. Hopefully we'll get some snow over the next week to soften things up a bit over there. They are making quite a bit of snow at LP, but mostly over on Spring Fling, et. al. Ripcord will probably be the only decent expert terrain until some more snow falls. Organgrinder is scary scary scary. As much as I hate having steep trails groomed, it needs winched badly. As of right now, Mt. Ellen is skiing MUCH better, IMHO, and if we don't get any more snow, you might want to spend your whole day at ME. But I'm sure we'll all keep you posted over the next couple of days as the week plays out.

HowieT2
01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I skied LP Monday and it was fine until after lunch. Birdland was a was silky smooth first run and then there was nice snow on L. Paradise, Paradise extension and Ripcord.

ME today was good except I tried elbow on the first run and it was a bit hard to say the least. I actually saw some guys pop out of the woods by Exterminator and they said it was "crunchy'.

01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the updates folks! How Black Diamond holding up?

win
01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
North Lynx will be last priority for snowmaking at LP. Maybe late next week if we keep the temperatures. Snowball and Spring Fling will be sweet when they open - maybe later today. We do plan to groom out Exterminator and Organgrinder but want to do that when there will be some snow falling afterwards so it sets up well.

01-17-2007, 09:11 AM
We do plan to groom out Exterminator and Organgrinder....

Acck!!!! :shock: Please leave me some bumps for Friday! :cry:

BushMogulMaster
01-17-2007, 09:14 AM
North Lynx will be last priority for snowmaking at LP. Maybe late next week if we keep the temperatures. Snowball and Spring Fling will be sweet when they open - maybe later today. We do plan to groom out Exterminator and Organgrinder but want to do that when there will be some snow falling afterwards so it sets up well.

Do you plan to winch all of Exterm? IMHO, the headwall is the only part that really needs work. The rest is ok. I just hate to see good bumps wiched away......... Last year, Exterm was groomed mid-season, and it was never quite the same again (and that wasn't a good thing). As soon as you run a cat over it, it will blow off or ski off right down to frozen, icy cat tracks. That doesn't make for a nice bump run, and sometimes only makes the ice problems worse. Of course, I trust your judgement, and will be happy with whatever you decide to do. Just my .02.

Now Organgrinder is another story entirely. Skied it yesterday, and as I pointed out earlier... it was nasty! Definitely groom that one!

win
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
We'll see what needs to be done on Exterm to put it into shape. Slidebrook roads still need more snow to get evacuation equipment in. Tram authority dictates this, and we would follow the same standard anyways. The lift will run as soon as that happens on weekends and Holidays.

2knees
01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
do you plan to mow exterminator this week?

thanks for any info win.

BushMogulMaster
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
We'll see what needs to be done on Exterm to put it into shape. Slidebrook roads still need more snow to get evacuation equipment in. Tram authority dictates this, and we would follow the same standard anyways. The lift will run as soon as that happens on weekends and Holidays.

Sounds good.

Hopefully we'll get some more snow so the SBX can run. I'd probably spend a lot more time at South if SBX was running........ of course, Mt. Ellen is my personal favorite (and ALWAYS will be, even though I ski over 75 days there each year), but I'd at least hit South once a week :wink: .

freeheel_skier
01-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm sure there is a method to the grooming madness....what is it? Does it help base building? I don't ever recall FIS being rolled/groomed? Is FIS too steep to be winched? SO many questions???/ :?

I do like exterm the way it is...but, I do enjoy the 1-2 times a year I get to ski it with my father when it's groomed. He's a 2 turn kind of skier :lol:

Plowboy
01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
FIS has been Groomed many times. Winch ,yes.

Years ago there was a guy from Moretown that would groom it without a winch. A sight to see!!!!! He would do 2 shooters of JD in the bar and head up @ noon. He drove up FIS, turned around on the face and came down with the tracks in reverse. People would line the top of the trail watching. 8) 8)

Lostone
01-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Hopefully we'll get some more snow so the SBX can run.

Screw SBX!!! :shock: Hopefully we'll get somemore snow so Losty can make some powder turns! :D

Oh... Am I sounding a bit too self centered? :roll: I'm a GUY, Dammit! :lol:

That aughta wake them up! :lol:

Abe Froman
01-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Hopefully we'll get some more snow so the SBX can run.

Screw SBX!!! :shock: Hopefully we'll get somemore snow so Losty can make some powder turns! :D

Oh... Am I sounding a bit too self centered? :roll: I'm a GUY, Dammit! :lol:

That aughta wake them up! :lol:

I am with ya on that one!!!!!!

01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I see Paradise re-opened completely today! South will definitely get a visit...

ski_it
01-18-2007, 09:37 AM
looks like Organgrinder was flattened today according to the Bush trail report: http://www.sugarbush.com/snowandtrails/liftsandtrails.asp

BushMogulMaster
01-18-2007, 10:20 AM
looks like Organgrinder was flattened today according to the Bush trail report: http://www.sugarbush.com/snowandtrails/liftsandtrails.asp

It needed it badly. But Exterm is perfect... I skied it yesterday (I was the only person on the trail all afternoon), and it is better than it's been all year....... soft, and entirely edgable.... no more blue ice! Hopefully it will stay that way even after people ski it in.

01-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Twist and Moonshine for tomorrow!!

Ya-effin-hoo! http://forums.alpinezone.com/images/smilies/icon_spread.gif

Come on, gimme the Mall. Pleeeeeeease.........? ;)

Tin Woodsman
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Not bloody likely unless they get a legit 4-5" by day's end - just too steep. Twist and Moonshine should be a treat if you get there early enough, but the bottom of Mooonshine will be a bony mess pretty quickly, especially if Lower Twist isn't open.

01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Not bloody likely unless they get a legit 4-5" by day's end - just too steep. Twist and Moonshine should be a treat if you get there early enough, but the bottom of Mooonshine will be a bony mess pretty quickly, especially if Lower Twist isn't open.
No worries. I've skied Moonshine in some pretty poor conditions:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/517/medium/DSC06741.JPG

It's all good...

Tin Woodsman
01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Yikes! You are a hardy soul indeed.

I'd pretty much expect that if we don't get much snow tomorrow. Saturday could be a different story if the forecast pans out.

Strat
01-18-2007, 03:19 PM

They're not open already? They're already marked...

01-18-2007, 03:44 PM

They're not open already? They're already marked...
They were marked during the pm update so assume they are currently open.

Plowboy
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Moonshine was not much of a treat today. 2" crust on top of a little bit of powder. Should be good after it gets broken up. The Fling was skiing good today.