PDA

View Full Version : Snow Totals?

beelze
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Sugarbush page says 6" and 19" in the past week, yet I still see Cliffs, Springfling, Inverness (along with many
others) still closed. Given those totals, this seems hard to believe - or was it 19" at top and 0 at base? Would like
to hear what the real extent of coverage is (and if possible from those who are not overtly biased to all things SB) before
making the trek up north. TIA.

jwt
01-15-2007, 12:30 PM
They did get 10-15' since last Monday, but Friday and Friday night poured at 50+ degrees, with fog eating the snow like hot water. My ski house buds and I were chatting with Win in Glen House Sat afternoon. The snow they got was light and dry, and it was not going to last against fog and 50 degree temps. Anything that was open had, fpr the most part, snowmaking base under it.
Those who have not followed the weather closely since Nov have no idea how mich base was put down and evaporated. I have skied here since '82 and I haven't seen this much warm air in all that time.
We are all getting icthy over that lack of terrain as well, but we gotta remember the devasitation of the weather the last few months. It looks like a turn now. My guess is 50-70 % open by next weekend if we stay cold. many other areas have less than we have, and all this snow from yesterday did not get to some other resorts. . . . . . .

the trees need another foot or two, but 6 " and people will rip them anyway. Just don't expect any base.

BTW, a lesson in listening to Win. He told us at noon that skiers right Elbow was great. I stick to the left, where there is generally some bumps at trails edge. We finally took his advice for the last run. . . ... . . . . . . .and made three more because it was so good. . . . . . . . . when guys who make snow tell you something, you gotta listen. . .thanks Win, lesson learned.

beelze
01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the followup - I didn't know about the Friday damages :( Almost as bad as lack of snow will be the adjustment
to cold temps (if that ever happens).

Hardbooter
01-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I was on the slopes on Saturday so I witnessed the loss of snow from Friday night. We were basically skiing on the snowmaking base. Now I'm curious about what's happening today, Monday. I'm reading conflicting reports about the severity of the storm. If its really good, I might be foolish enough to drive up from Boston in the storm.

Of course, I'd have to take a day off of work. Gee, I don't feel so good. Maybe I'm coming down with a 24 hour powder flu...

If any of the regular posters were out today, any updates?

ski_resort_observer
01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the followup - I didn't know about the Friday damages :( Almost as bad as lack of snow will be the adjustment
to cold temps (if that ever happens).

The cold temps will actually be very helpful in regards to making snow. The amount of snow you can make when it's 30F vs 0F is very diferent, in both quality and quanity. If your a snowmaker, the colder the better. Bring it on. :D

Strat
01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I was on the slopes on Saturday so I witnessed the loss of snow from Friday night. We were basically skiing on the snowmaking base. Now I'm curious about what's happening today, Monday. I'm reading conflicting reports about the severity of the storm. If its really good, I might be foolish enough to drive up from Boston in the storm.

Of course, I'd have to take a day off of work. Gee, I don't feel so good. Maybe I'm coming down with a 24 hour powder flu...

If any of the regular posters were out today, any updates?
So far, pretty bust... it snowed a bit early this morning, but it's been a mix of dry and wet sleet since then, not really accumulating, just being kinda crystally... a nice surface to be sure, but definitely not the 6-10 promised by the NWS or even the 2-4 that the Weather Channel predicted...

That said, conditions were pretty damn good... scratchy in spots underneath, but generally pretty darn good... not pow to be sure, but generally better than decent...

random_ski_guy
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Like you said Strat, when the NWS pulls out the Winter Storm Warning in advance of the storm....

shadyjay
01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I just got back from Mt Ellen myself and I thought conditions were really good - a big change from Fri & Sat (espec Sat). A little scratchy up top in some windblown. They were racing on half of Lower RIm Run. Saw a lot of folks tackle Black Diamond (including the little tikes). Lookin' Good was nice - the holes that were there on Sat have filled in nicely. Likewise, the 1/4-open Straight Shot at the base area is now basically 100% open now, giving everyone more room. Visibility was pretty good today despite the "storm" - you could see the summit from Lookin' Good heading up. A little breezy but nothing too bad. Lift getoffs are still icy. Saw a few people dive into the woods and they came out ok. Sound crazy to me, given this winter thus far. Tomorrow is forecasted to be very windy. And cold temps for the remainder of the week. At least the guns'll be blasting. They were today on Elbow (again!) - why does that trail need more snow? I'd be moving over to another trail if I were in charge.... but I'm not. That's why I have to go to work tomorrow.

-Jay

BushMogulMaster
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
They were today on Elbow (again!) - why does that trail need more snow? I'd be moving over to another trail if I were in charge.... but I'm not.

-Jay

They were supposed to be done with Elbow and Exterm and head over to Which Way last night, but there must have been a problem (maybe another broken line???) because they fired up Elbow and Exterm again this morning. Hopefully we'll see some snowmaking elsewhere tomorrow and Wednesday.

beelze
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
hmmm.. by the sounds of what people are saying about today maybe its better to wait another day or two before coming up
and let the guns cover up the snice. I'm certainly eager to get out (only got 2 days in in Dec) but with the predicted plummet
in temps that surface is gonna get rock hard with so much moisture in it now.

Ski_Resort - yes cold is good for the guns but my body has been stuck in a nasty 25/60 temp range for two months.. much
if it closer to 60 than 25! Those February runs when its -10 are gonna feel a lot colder this year than last.

skiladi
01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
hmmm.. by the sounds of what people are saying about today maybe its better to wait another day or two before coming up
and let the guns cover up the snice. I'm certainly eager to get out (only got 2 days in in Dec) but with the predicted plummet
in temps that surface is gonna get rock hard with so much moisture in it now.

Ski_Resort - yes cold is good for the guns but my body has been stuck in a nasty 25/60 temp range for two months.. much
if it closer to 60 than 25! Those February runs when its -10 are gonna feel a lot colder this year than last.

It was cold today and surfaces were hard. Nice if you like to cruise real fast! I skied at North and exterm was fun with " moon " snow under the guns. Not cratery , just untouched sno-cone
kinda stuff. If you want to ski, ski! It is what it is. ; }

HowieT2
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
They were blowing tons of snow on exterminator. We hit it after lunch and it was great.