PDA

View Full Version : Pass/ticket scanners

sugarboarder
01-12-2007, 05:46 PM
As if it hasn't become enough of a PITA for employees AND guests to use these things (lord, how did we EVER get by without them before), now I find that all of a sudden this year it won't read my pass through the clear plastic pass holder on my jacket - which it did ALL last year with no problem on the SAME jacket. I have to take my gloves off and pull the thing out, and the scanner STILL takes about three tries to read it correctly, while people wait behind me. The pass is NEW this year and the jacket pocket is CLEAR plastic with no scuffs or snow or anything else on it which would impede reading. :?

Has something changed this year with the scanners...do we REALLY need these things?? :x

win
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Sugarboarder,

I asked you to contact me personally. You are beginning to be a PITA!

smootharc
01-13-2007, 07:29 AM
...and the scanner guy mentioned they track patterns, lift & trail pod uses, and the like to serve more efficiently someone....namely you and me. Haven't got a problem with it.

Plowboy
01-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Sugarboarder,

:shock:

bill-now
01-13-2007, 08:44 AM
...and the scanner guy mentioned they track patterns, lift & trail pod uses, and the like to serve more efficiently someone....namely you and me. Haven't got a problem with it.

I have no problem with the scanners either; at most they cause a a one chair delay when the lift are empty. What I don't understand is how you can track patterns if you are only scanning the base lifts.

skiladi
01-13-2007, 10:37 AM

I have no problem with the scanners either; at most they cause a a one chair delay when the lift are empty. What I don't understand is how you can track patterns if you are only scanning the base lifts.

I was scanned at Heaven's Gate. I guess this is why.

sugarboarder
01-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Sugarboarder,

Win, will do - PM sent.

Mike451
01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Scanners are not to bad, afterall I hear alot of people faked seasons passes before they got them, which is probably the main reason.

random_ski_guy
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm with Mike451 on this one for the same reasons. Its just a bummer you happen to lose your pass in the process of a nice act by SB personnel.

Lostone
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Sure would be good to switch to an RFID type pass. It would have all the same capabilities, but would be able to be scanned regardless of plastic, fog, snow, ... :wink:

kcyanks1
01-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Sure would be good to switch to an RFID type pass. It would have all the same capabilities, but would be able to be scanned regardless of plastic, fog, snow, ... :wink:

What's "snow"? :-( I'm generally not a big fan of RFIDs in IDs for people. Better a Sugarbush pass than a passport, but I'd just as rather them scan on the base lifts and do nothing up higher. They aren't going to stick RFIDs in day passes most likely, so those people will still be scanned anyways. I haven't been to SB this season yet unfortunately, but I didn't think the scanning really was a bottleneck from visits in prior years.

sugarboarder
01-13-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm with Mike451 on this one for the same reasons. Its just a bummer you happen to lose your pass in the process of a nice act by SB personnel.

Not a big deal - got a new one today.

castlerock
01-13-2007, 06:47 PM

Immediate secure replacement.....

sugarboarder
01-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Gotta agree!

BushMogulMaster
01-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Gotta agree!

Glad you got it taken care of. I really have no problem with the ticket scanners. It's not that big of a deal. Besides, it keeps track of my day-count for me!

sugarboarder
01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Still hate 'em - don't care about my day count and never have! 8)

greenmtnboy
01-14-2007, 12:03 AM
The scanners tend to be sensitive whether they scan through plastic or directly from the pass. I have found that if the attendants hold the scanner on a slight (45 degree angle) to the pass, it will scan quickly.
It does provide valuable info to the mountain and does detect fake passes. I found that when the attendants have problems, they have pushed us through (thank you Win for allowing them to do that).

sugarboarder
01-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I have found that if the attendants hold the scanner on a slight (45 degree angle) to the pass, it will scan quickly.

Ahhhhhh...yes!

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
The scanners tend to be sensitive whether they scan through plastic or directly from the pass. I have found that if the attendants hold the scanner on a slight (45 degree angle) to the pass, it will scan quickly.
It does provide valuable info to the mountain and does detect fake passes. I found that when the attendants have problems, they have pushed us through (thank you Win for allowing them to do that).

It also helps if they shake the scanner a little, sometimes.

But I have found out something else about my pass. Even when I take it OUT of the plastic pocket, the scanner takes forever to read it, and sometimes won't at all. No wonder it won't read it through plastic. I found out from one of the ticket checker/scanner folks that they have noticed this problem with ONLY the new passes from this year - the old ones work fine, which would explain why it scanned through the SAME plastic pocket last year with no problem.

Anyone else experiencing this with new or replacement passes issued this year? Any cure for it?

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Anyone else experiencing this with new or replacement passes issued this year? Any cure for it?

Yes. No.

Although, I had trouble with my old pass too. But then again, it was WELL beat up!

sugarboarder
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Yes. No.

Although, I had trouble with my old pass too. But then again, it was WELL beat up!

Mine is brand new...they test scanned it indoors today and it worked instantly - but with the scanner at Bravo it was balky. Maybe the outdoor scanners need to be cleaned? Who knows. I generally only am on mountain during the week so the only person it is slowing down is me...but that might be a GOOD thing!! :wink:

BushMogulMaster
01-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Yes. No.

Mine is brand new...they test scanned it indoors today and it worked instantly - but with the scanner at Bravo it was balky. Maybe the outdoor scanners need to be cleaned? Who knows.

Interesting.....

I didn't have problems last year until April when my pass was so beat up you could barely even tell that it had a barcode on it! This year, I've had intermittent problems since I got my new pass. Hasn't really slowed me down, just takes an extra few seconds and a little bit of fiddling around. I'm not complaining, though. As long as it works!

ikkin
01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
As if it hasn't become enough of a PITA for employees AND guests to use these things (lord, how did we EVER get by without them before), now I find that all of a sudden this year it won't read my pass through the clear plastic pass holder on my jacket - which it did ALL last year with no problem on the SAME jacket. I have to take my gloves off and pull the thing out, and the scanner STILL takes about three tries to read it correctly, while people wait behind me. The pass is NEW this year and the jacket pocket is CLEAR plastic with no scuffs or snow or anything else on it which would impede reading.

Has something changed this year with the scanners...do we REALLY need these things??

maybe this isn't contructive or helpful, but...

WAAHHHHHHHH

:roll:

all the great changes and effort and new snow and...sheesh. why is this a huge deal?

that said, glad it worked out for you.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
As if it hasn't become enough of a PITA for employees AND guests to use these things (lord, how did we EVER get by without them before), now I find that all of a sudden this year it won't read my pass through the clear plastic pass holder on my jacket - which it did ALL last year with no problem on the SAME jacket. I have to take my gloves off and pull the thing out, and the scanner STILL takes about three tries to read it correctly, while people wait behind me. The pass is NEW this year and the jacket pocket is CLEAR plastic with no scuffs or snow or anything else on it which would impede reading.

Has something changed this year with the scanners...do we REALLY need these things??

maybe this isn't contructive or helpful, but...

WAAHHHHHHHH

:roll:

all the great changes and effort and new snow and...sheesh. why is this a huge deal?

that said, glad it worked out for you.

This is a discussion forum numbnuts - we can talk about whatever we like...now go play somewhere else.

Lostone
01-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Moderator note: Argue the subject. Not the person.

Thanx for your support.

skiladi
01-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanx for your support.

U tell 'em! I kinda like it when the cute little boys have to get up close and personal to scan my pass. ; } And hubby likes the girls. Us old folks need a thrill once and a while.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanx for your support.

I couldn't agree more - this guy revived a three week old post and called me out on it...it was long out of mind.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanx for your support.

U tell 'em! I kinda like it when the cute little boys have to get up close and personal to scan my pass. ; } And hubby likes the girls. Us old folks need a thrill once and a while.

Wow...a PAIR of Cougars!!

Lostone
01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree the post was old, but they never go away, unless deleted.

What I would say is
maybe this isn't contructive or helpful, but..

Correct... Please make an attempt to be constructive and / or helpful.

We like consructive and helpful. :wink:

No flame wars allowed.

Again... Thanx for your support.

sugarboarder
01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
I DID ask that this thread be deleted - but was denied...and I'll say it again (4th time? 5th time?)...other forums I post on all allow the original topic poster to delete the entire thread whenever they want...this ain't Wikipedia.