PDA

View Full Version : Bumps

01-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Okay. We have a new thread on tree status. How about one on bumps? Where are the best bump lines setting up? I hope to be there next Friday so I'd like to know where to set my sights!

skiladi
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Haven't been up since the snow of tuesday into wed. but exterminator should be sweet with the new cover 'cause before the snow it was a good firm "base" with nicely shaped bumps
especially mid to lower and now Northstar is open. Why am I telling you this??!! ; }

01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Haven't been up since the snow of tuesday into wed. but exterminator should be sweet with the new cover 'cause before the snow it was a good firm "base" with nicely shaped bumps
especially mid to lower and now Northstar is open. Why am I telling you this??!! ; }
Nice! This is the kind of info I'm looking for. So at this point, is Ellen looking better than South for most bumps?

skiladi
01-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I think north has been consistently better. I was on exterm and fis on monday ( on a snowboard , no less ) but not to worry. They were so rock hard even my feeble bump riding
could do no damage.
I skied on tuesday at south and there were NO bumps. Well , I take that back. There were hard
"rises" on birdland. ; } Unless the snow that I had to leave :cry: for wed. made a difference on grinder I will say there are still no bumps. Come Monday I hope this is all moot. ; }

Hardbooter
01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I had the same plan. No trees to ski, so I might as well look for bumps. I figured that exterm and FIS would be the best bet but I noticed this morning that they made snow on exterminator which usually means that the bumps we firm enough to be unpleasant so they covered them over.

On the bright side... maybe it will snow a foot on top of that... after I finish driving, that is.

BushMogulMaster
01-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Exterminator is definitely the place for bumps right now, IMHO. It had firmed up and was pretty icy in the troughs, but they blew on it last night and today. The snow they made was a little wet due to slightly higher temps (28-30), but this was actually really good because it caused the new man-made snow to fuse with the ice and it has worked out VERY nicely. Troughs are clearing up well, and the whole trail is nice and soft. Today was the first time I could comfortably zipper-line the bumps in a while (ice makes zipper-lining tough). Lots and lots of fun to be had there. Throw on top of the nice man-made surface this snow we're supposed to get Moday, and Exterm will be some of the best skiing in the east!

Bravo will have some nice bumps soon provided a little more snow. Keep your eye on it.

FIS is better than it was a week ago, but is still pretty hard and icy between and on the backs of the bumps. If you don't mind sliding around a little, it's enjoyable. I'd still stick to Exterm, though.

01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Exterminator is definitely the place for bumps right now, IMHO. It had firmed up and was pretty icy in the troughs, but they blew on it last night and today. The snow they made was a little wet due to slightly higher temps (28-30), but this was actually really good because it caused the new man-made snow to fuse with the ice and it has worked out VERY nicely. Troughs are clearing up well, and the whole trail is nice and soft. Today was the first time I could comfortably zipper-line the bumps in a while (ice makes zipper-lining tough). Lots and lots of fun to be had there. Throw on top of the nice man-made surface this snow we're supposed to get Moday, and Exterm will be some of the best skiing in the east!

Bravo will have some nice bumps soon provided a little more snow. Keep your eye on it.

FIS is better than it was a week ago, but is still pretty hard and icy between and on the backs of the bumps. If you don't mind sliding around a little, it's enjoyable. I'd still stick to Exterm, though.
Nice! Please keep me posted throughout the week. North or South will likely be a last minute decision...

BushMogulMaster
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Exterm hardened up again after the cool down. The headwall is very hard and very icy, but they're still blowing on it. The rest is definitely harder than yesterday, but still good skiing and lots of fun (guns still there too).

Bravo is still a blast too, if you don't mind a few rocks!

freeheel_skier
01-13-2007, 04:33 PM
All things considered......I thought ME skied great today! Tons of snowmaking going on. Today's visibility was interesting again! Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow :D

BushMogulMaster
01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
BUMPS UPDATE:

LP

Ripcord is developing some bumps. Not quite perfect yet.
Paradise is nice, with medium sized (though somewhat awkwardly spaced) bumps.
Middle Earth has fantastic sized, shaped, and spaced bumps. Lots of fun there.
Castlerock Run has good bumps.

ME

Exterminator is the place for big bumps. They're not perfectly shaped, but they're skiing pretty well. Still an ice patch or two, so beware. Aside from the little bit of ice, it's probably still some of the best bump skiing in the East.
Bravo has a few really nice lines on the upper section, just watch out for rocks. The headwall is pretty slick, but basically edgable. There are few bumps below it, then they disappear.
Top 1/3 of FIS is awesome, the rest is pretty rough. But some big bumps.
Not quite enough snow on Black Diamond to make for good bumps yet. Soon......
Tumbler is developing some nice bumps, and should be great soon.
Hammerhead was perfect the other day, had a bit of a slump, and is now coming back.
Encore bumps are small but in the makings.
Not much for bumps on Cliffs, but they are definitely on the way.
Also, keep your eye on Lower FIS over the next weeks or so. Could see some great bump skiing there if some people will actually ski it! It was great on Sunday, although there were no bumps yet. Don't worry... they groomed the runout with a powder bar, so it's actually not bad!

sugarboarder
01-23-2007, 10:00 PM
All lies - no bump skiing to be had at all - everyone stay away...don't bother. :P

freeheel_skier
01-24-2007, 03:08 AM
Bravo! Exterminator! Nuff said! 8) IMHO

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Bravo! Exterminator! Nuff said! 8) IMHO

Yes, they're quite good. However, I do have one complaint (primarily with Bravo): many of the bumps are so spaced out that they were obviously formed by skiers making slalom turns. Personally, I want to zipperline and bump the crap out that kind of a trail, but you get stuck in some lines where your turns have to be pretty wide, and it almost forces you to turn your shoulders, and that's the last thing you want to do in a bump field (bump skiing rule -- always keep shoulders square with the falline). No... I'm not asking for seeded bump fields (IMO, they're fun but get boring quickly). I just like well formed and spaced bumps.

I think a lot of people are afraid to make a lot of quick turns on steep trails, or they're carvers/slalom/GS skiers or beginner snowboarders that have found themselves on a bump trail. This is when bumps get messed up, end up the size of VW Bugs, and are 20 feet away from each other. No offense to the types of skiers/riders I mentioned... you're allowed to have fun and learn too. But it would be nice to be able to preserve some true bump lines. :roll:

ahm
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
BMM: those lines are just fine, just air top to top and you'll be fine. Let the boards run a bit and straightline more and you'll be all set. SL turns tend to be short radius, so I think the skidder is more the problem, but as I said, just straightline, take some air and bravo becomes the best bumper on the hill. Try a long turning radius ski, like say a 26 m. :wink: As for lower FIS, big GS turns on that one, hit the triple bumps, take enough air on number 2 that you skip number three and then tuck the run out.......................

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
BMM: those lines are just fine, just air top to top and you'll be fine. Let the boards run a bit and straightline more and you'll be all set. SL turns tend to be short radius, so I think the skidder is more the problem, but as I said, just straightline, take some air and bravo becomes the best bumper on the hill. Try a long turning radius ski, like say a 26 m. :wink: As for lower FIS, big GS turns on that one, hit the triple bumps, take enough air on number 2 that you skip number three and then tuck the run out.......................

Yeah... I do that too, and it's fun. But I really prefer zipperlining (you know, like Jeremy Bloom and Travis Cabral...... except that I'm better :wink: ).

Of course, this is all irrelevant with 8"+ of powder. Then a completely different set of rules applies!

01-25-2007, 11:06 AM
many of the bumps are so spaced out that they were obviously formed by skiers making slalom turns. Personally, I want to zipperline and bump the crap out that kind of a trail, but you get stuck in some lines where your turns have to be pretty wide, and it almost forces you to turn your shoulders, and that's the last thing you want to do in a bump field (bump skiing rule -- always keep shoulders square with the falline).
Banana bumps...