PDA

View Full Version : Snowfall measurement (Updated 1/10 4:50 PM)

BushMogulMaster
01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Just MEASURED a little over 5" at the BASE of Mt. Ellen, and still dumping as of 4:30!. Summit accumulation must be 6-8". I haven't been up there, but that would just make sense. Maybe someone who was up there can tell us more?

I couldn't be more excited! It's about time we got some unexpected snow! :D :D :D

ski_resort_observer
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks BMM!

In a consise highly technical and scientific reason why this happened is this. Early this morning Barre got 6" of snow, we barely got a dusting. Ma Nature quickly realized something screwed up and ordered the storm cell to turn around and put down the snow where it was supposed to go....to the MRV. Obviously, a storm in training. :roll:

win
01-09-2007, 05:00 PM
It always happens! I am off campus on business for a couple of days. It always snow when I am away. Just spoke to the mountain and patrol said we had 4" at the top of Lincoln Peak. It did snow earlier in the day at ME so there could be more there. Forecast is looking a bit better for the whole week now too! We are due!

BushMogulMaster
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Here's the proof from base of ME at 5:45:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/snow.jpg

The numbers are readable, but fuzzy; so I put in the 5" & 6" for those of you who can't see!

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Here's the proof from base of ME at 5:45:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/snow.jpg

The numbers are readable, but fuzzy; so I put in the 5" & 6" for those of you who can't see!

I vote for BMM to maintain the official SkiMRV snow stake in order to provide visual proof of new snowfall in the absense of any info from the mountain.

All in agreement say Ay.

BushMogulMaster
01-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I vote for BMM to maintain the official SkiMRV snow stake in order to provide visual proof of new snowfall in the absense of any info from the mountain.

All in agreement say Ay.

I accept the nomination, and will do my utmost to keep everyone in the MRV community up-to-date with latest snowfall amounts. When possible, I will try to get measurements from varying elevations (base, mid, summit, etc.). :D

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2007, 06:24 PM

All in agreement say Ay.

I accept the nomination, and will do my utmost to keep everyone in the MRV community up-to-date with latest snowfall amounts. When possible, I will try to get measurements from varying elevations (base, mid, summit, etc.). :D

I like a man that takes his job seriously. Make no mistake, this is God's work.

ski_resort_observer
01-09-2007, 06:27 PM

All in agreement say Ay.

Ahhhh....but what about the 10 Point Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation Video Sound thingamajig...we know Tin wants to have but is trying to restain himself from asking you. :wink:

BushMogulMaster
01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Ahhhh....but what about the 10 Point Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation Video Sound thingamajig...we know Tin wants to have but is trying to restain himself from asking you. :wink:

To what 10-point presentation video sound thingamajig are you referring?

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Maybe someone who was up there can tell us more?

I was up on ME all afternoon - just DUM-PING up top. I didn't stop to measure, but I was covered every time I got off the chair...probably 8"+ I'm guessing. Verrrry Niiiiice!! Guns were full blast too just about everywhere - not so nice but totally understandable. I love/hate snow guns. I stopped trailside on my last run down and listened to skiers and riders going by making almost no sound - and what a nice sound it was!!

And check this out:

From Accuweather's chief long range forecaster:

The Alberta Clipper today moving through East will create more lake-effect snow to the lee of the Great Lakes and snow in the higher elevations of the central Appalachian Mountains. Cold air following the Clipper will push temperatures in the East down to near seasonable levels. Later in the week, the brief shot of winter will be replaced with more warm weather before a pattern change brings a real taste of winter to much of the nation...

...Unlike recent weather patterns when cold air has been quickly replaced by unseasonable warmth, the upcoming cold shot will remain in place across most of the nation through the latter half of January. According to Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, the weather from mid-January through mid-February could mimic the winters of 1957-58 and 1965-66. Those winters began with warm conditions before finishing with cold and stormy weather...

...Bastardi says in a worst-case scenario, the country will experience a repeat of the winter of 1977-78. After a tepid start, that winter was remarkable for its cold and storms, including three powerful blizzards in the Northeast. "Those who think that winter 2006-2007 is going to remain mild are in for a shock. Winter is likely to come with a vengeance. A week from now, we'll start seeing truly cold air across much of the country, and we expect this change to last."

Bastardi believes that if the change in the weather pattern reaches its full potential, the onset of cold weather could result in "one of the top-five coldest 30-day stretches in the past half century."

I'm hoping for the "worst case" scenario! :D

smootharc
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
:D

random_ski_guy
01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
10 day forecast model shows the potential for a nor easter on Friday Jan 19th. Lots of cold air projected to be in place and the storm track finally moving to the coast rather than over ohio, western ny and ontario. :D

http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/loop/gfsx_1000_loop.html

figures this would come into view when i'm about to pull the trigger on high tailing to the west myself.

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 07:06 PM
:D

I know...nice name huh!?!?

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Re: Bastardi

He's pretty good, but don't get carried away. This guy has forecasted more blizzards than VT has cow pies. Remember that Accuweather is a private weather forecasting company that only makes money when people tune in to listen to what they say. Much easier to hype every 10% chance ala Roemer than to rely on building a long term reputation for accuracy.

Throwing winters like 77-78 like that, a winter that was historically cold and snowy in the east, is just plain irresponsible, b/c that's all people will remember.

Still the pattern looks cold and juicy for the next couple of weeks, so expectations are raised, but just not to ludicrous speed.

BushMogulMaster
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM

He's pretty good, but don't get carried away. This guy has forecasted more blizzards than VT has cow pies. Remember that Accuweather is a private weather forecasting company that only makes money when people tune in to listen to what they say. Much easier to hype every 10% chance ala Roemer than to rely on building a long term reputation for accuracy.

Throwing winters like 77-78 like that, a winter that was historically cold and snowy in the east, is just plain irresponsible, b/c that's all people will remember.

Still the pattern looks cold and juicy for the next couple of weeks, so expectations are raised, but just not to ludicrous speed.

I'm hoping he's right and we can all laugh at you, Tin! :wink: Just kidding..... you're right, he's getting a bit excited. We need to see the next couple of weeks through. Then we'll have a better idea of what the rest of the winter might bring.

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM

He's pretty good, but don't get carried away.

But I WANT to get carried away...sooooo badly!!! :wink:

shadyjay
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
A Nor'Easter on the 19th? Oh just great. I have to work that Fri & Sat flying balloons down in Southern VT (precip/wx regardless). Was going to stay in SoVT for a couple days but not if its gonna dump.

Wait, we're getting ahead of ourselves. Wx people don't know what the weather's going to do tomorrow, let alone 1.5wks away. But a change in the pattern is overdue and will be welcome, along with all the snow we can get.

-JH

BushMogulMaster
01-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Another inch fell overnight at the base of ME, making 6" exactly. I'll try to grab a picture of the official measurement later today. More to fall throughout the day! :D :D :D

BushMogulMaster
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Latest snowfall update:

7" at the base:

http://sugarbushhistory.com/images/snow3.JPG

8 3/4" at mid:

http://sugarbushhistory.com/images/snow1.JPG

11" at top of Northridge:

http://sugarbushhistory.com/images/snow2.JPG

Couldn't find a decent spot to take a measurement at the summit... everything was either groomed, drifted, pushed, etc. I would guess, though, that there was was just about a foot on the summit, give or take 1/2"

freeheel_skier
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
That is sweet! :D

boze
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Prayers finally getting a positive answer. Need this fluff badly, to start filling in the trees. May it keep dumping!

Tin Woodsman
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I give that post 5 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: out of five :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh the pants, they are happy once again!

Tin Woodsman
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I give that post 5 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: out of five :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh the pants, they are happy once again!

Lostone
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
He was so happy he said it twice. :lol:

Me...? I'm just sore. :wink:

tymoguls
01-10-2007, 06:47 PM
BushMogulMaster,

Just so I understand. From when are you reporting new snow? You post was this afternoon. Is all of that new snow since this am? Or, are you including yesterday's and last night's in yuor totals?

All of the warm weather has made me rather dense. Perhaps I'll sharpen up a bit after a few good rips down the slopes.

BushMogulMaster
01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
BushMogulMaster,

Just so I understand. From when are you reporting new snow? You post was this afternoon. Is all of that new snow since this am? Or, are you including yesterday's and last night's in yuor totals?

All of the warm weather has made me rather dense. Perhaps I'll sharpen up a bit after a few good rips down the slopes.

This was a total from yesterday and today. Sorry for the confusion...

noski
01-11-2007, 07:54 AM
BushMogulMaster- I have a yardstick at home I can bring in for you. You aren't going to need that wimpy little ruler much longer.....

BushMogulMaster
01-11-2007, 08:12 AM
BushMogulMaster- I have a yardstick at home I can bring in for you. You aren't going to need that wimpy little ruler much longer.....

Yeah, I have a yardstick too... but I didn't exactly want to ski with a yardstick in my coat :lol:

I'll take a 15' measuring TAPE from now on!

HowieT2
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
put inch markers on your skis.