PDA

View Full Version : Bush Pilots... anyone know about it?

ManyTurns
01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know how the new bush pilots program is going? How many people are signed up? What are the runs like?

I know it's probably too early to tell, but I thought people might have impressions. I thought the description of it sounded intriguing, although it's pretty much what I already do with my friends. Still, it never hurts to meet more tree/bump/powder/extreme skiiers.

Lostone
01-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Check Smootharc's Trip report. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know how the new bush pilots program is going? How many people are signed up? What are the runs like?

I know it's probably too early to tell, but I thought people might have impressions. I thought the description of it sounded intriguing, although it's pretty much what I already do with my friends. Still, it never hurts to meet more tree/bump/powder/extreme skiiers.

It sounds like if your already a regular double black skier who knows he/she can get even more skilled then the Bush Pilots program sounds like the program to be in. As I mentioned in another post the Bush is offering more and more unique season long programs. This one is another example.

Unfortunately I don't have any firsthand info but one semi-regular poster could answer the general questions you have, John Atkinson, so you can wait for him to post or you can PM or email him. He's problaby still recovering from the past weekend. :wink:

Oh.and ..welcome to the forum :D

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Check Smootharc's Trip report. :wink:

Dang...I wish there was a Bush season long program on typing faster. What a great TR and what perfect timing to answer MT's questions.

smootharc
01-03-2007, 09:19 AM
....and I'll append or add new info / insights as the year wears on.

With regard to the people aspect, it seems like a friendly, focused bunch of long time skiers. I personally was interested in the exploration / slidebrook / off-piste aspect and potential of the group activities...and as a person who's ski buddies are mostly in Central NY (and old and less active and who it's hard to motivate to drive 5 hours to ski), I thought it would be a good way to meet like minded folks with a connection to the valley. I mostly ski solo at the 'bush and glen. We just bought our place late last Spring, so this is our first season of full immersion in the MRV during ski season.

I did touch upon how I feel a bit "rutted" skiing alone....sort of pushing myself, but safely, and with my inherent caution firmly in place, in the places I know well, when I ski. (Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound like much pushing at all). So the Pilots held out the potential to get outside my ruts and comfort zones. Looks like that will be part of it, for me at least. Can hardly wait to huck a 30 footer off the Church.....uh, yeah....sure.

I also wanted to, for any SB/hiking/BC stuff, have a group/buddy system in place....as them mountains aren't fool around alone places. Sure, you can find a few folks to tag along with, but are they really keeping an eye out for a tag along ? Maybe. Maybe not. I've mostly felt maybe not, when I've tagged along (mostly out West). Anyways, I figured the BP would have group safety in mind (which was in evidence Saturday especially on a particular run), and couple that with insider knowledge of terrain....what to hit and as importantly when to hit it....well, I could stumble around for years and still not accumulate the knowledge I hope to attain (and be careful to keep guarded).

Toss in some potential to ski with a few ski hero's from my formative era....heck, it was a no brainer.

So...so far so good. Of course, I have all of one day of observations, but I'm glad I'm in the Pilots and I look forward to what the season has in store.

01-03-2007, 12:23 PM

The Bush Pilots I have met have been a great group of people, very modest and humble, and are generally having an awesome time together while learning various expert ski techniques from some of the best trained coaches on the planet.
I also undertand the Pilots are extremely discreet and mysterious about where their adventures take them and what they do, although quite a few have been sighted at the CR Pub at about 3:00 on Saturdays if you want to attempt to "pry" a [confidential] first hand report out of them.

You'll also know them by sight when you see them skiing together, as they almost always have this huge (cat got the canary) grin on their face...

Hmmmmmmmm.

Cudos to John E. for developing a very practical program for SBush!!!

gone.skiing
01-03-2007, 12:25 PM
> Does anyone know how the new bush pilots program is going?
I think it is going pretty well. Although, I missed a couple of days last Saturday was definitely a highlight. I am sure guest appearance by John Egan was even more than entertaining.

> How many people are signed up?
Last I heard is 18 folks with three coaches.

> What are the runs like?
Whereever the best conditions are. First couple of weekends were almost exclusively on Organgrinder. Last Sat was all over off Super Bravo until Heaven's Gate opened and then Paradise, Ripcord and some other stuff.

Runs are mostly top to bottom, fast flowing, nonstop experet level skiing (whatever expert means).

The biggest benefit is watching and following guys from Vt North ski team (coaches), great company (I am new to the mountain so it is a great way to meet others), relying on their vast knowledge of the terrain etc. I find that I can't push skiing by myself the same way I am pushing for 4 hours with these guys.

As was stated before John Atkison is the guy who runs it. Post if you have any more specific questions.

Eugene

Plowboy
01-03-2007, 12:43 PM
VT North Pro Team :arrow: Great people and 1 of our sponsers.

Photos by Charlie Brown

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/VTnorth1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/VTnorth2.jpg

atkinson
01-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all the positive replies everyone. Bush Pilots is full for this year, but we anticipate some growth in the team for next year. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, here is Bush Pilot Bob Bell, 3/5/2006. Enjoy.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/bobbell3506sm.jpg
How's the snow Bob? Nice turn!

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/bobbell4pow3506sm.jpg
Let go of the mountain.

Some future Bush Pilots. Adventure Camp, last week.
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/LPeak1SBAdCamp06sm.jpg

John