PDA

View Full Version : Racing program at Sugarbush

sugarboarder
12-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Edit Split out the racing parts from the Torchlight Parade thread, as they seem to be taking a life of their own. - Lostone

I just hope they blow Spring Fling SOOON! We are supposed to have two races there this Satuday 1/6 with 70+ entrants likely. No sign the mountain is preparing for that though. I guess I\'ll take this time to voice one of my few dis-satisfactions with SB. Racing, even though GMVS is here, seems to take a back seat to all else. It\'s not this way at other areas when they can possibly avoid it. Inverness not being blown, even halfway across, for GMVS? No effort to get NASTAR up and running over Xmas? No open training courses, ever, anywhere? No junior race program? No more BIG races? It seems we used to have a racing heritage here, which has disappeared with the exception of GMVS. I know this is a question of priorities, and it\'s not my mountain, but I do know that other areas cater to the racers and potential racers WAY more than here. I like it here, but I love to race and love everything about it, so I am considering a move next year to get more gate time in. GMVS has been nice enough to let me train with them a few times but can\'t do this for everybody, or on a regular basis. At Smugg\'s they have a public SL and a GS course set every possible day on Sterling, with a radio check-in for \"clear\" - it\'s great! Why can\'t we do that?

BushMogulMaster
12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
1) Pretty sure the trail suggested was supposed to be Easy Rider, by the Village Double.

B) As to the racing and snowmaking comments, remember those trails were brown a week ago, not because they didn't want to make snow on them, but because it was warm, and we had rain. It is hard for them to move onto other trails, when the ones they have open are being wiped out by said warm and rain.

Just keep it cold, and they'll get things open as soon as they can. Better yet, get us a couple feet of snow and they can open almost everything. :wink:

Exactly, on all accounts.

Given the horrifying early season conditions, the focus was on keeping the mountain open. What's the point in blowing snow on the widest trail at the resort (which would take just about all the horsepower at ME) and risking losing the rest of the hill? Stay open first, accomodate the extras later. Racing is one of the many small (yet important) portions of what makes up the resort. I guarentee that they will do everything to get things running. Just cut a little slack based on the crappy hand Mother Nature dealt in November and December.

The weather is improving. Looks like (after Monday) the warmups are gone, and Winter will be here to stay. In a couple weeks we'll all forget about these little early season issues. :)

sugarboarder
12-31-2006, 02:42 PM
1) Pretty sure the trail suggested was supposed to be Easy Rider, by the Village Double.

B) As to the racing and snowmaking comments, remember those trails were brown a week ago, not because they didn\'t want to make snow on them, but because it was warm, and we had rain. It is hard for them to move onto other trails, when the ones they have open are being wiped out by said warm and rain.

Just keep it cold, and they'll get things open as soon as they can. Better yet, get us a couple feet of snow and they can open almost everything. :wink:

Exactly, on all accounts.

Given the horrifying early season conditions, the focus was on keeping the mountain open. What's the point in blowing snow on the widest trail at the resort (which would take just about all the horsepower at ME) and risking losing the rest of the hill? Stay open first, accomodate the extras later. Racing is one of the many small (yet important) portions of what makes up the resort. I guarentee that they will do everything to get things running. Just cut a little slack based on the crappy hand Mother Nature dealt in November and December.

The weather is improving. Looks like (after Monday) the warmups are gone, and Winter will be here to stay. In a couple weeks we'll all forget about these little early season issues. :)

I get the above points of course - but if you read my entire post, the point is more that racing is unfortunately not taken as seriously here as at other areas - regardless of this year's conditions. And I said why not blow snow on HALF of Inverness, not the whole trail - which by the way wouldn't be a problem if we had morw "snowmaking horesepower". It's not like GMVS doesn't contribute anything to the mountain. Also, I have friends who chose to go to Killington, even though they like SB more, because they can put their kids in the racing program there. So there are entire families (many) going elsewhere and spending all their money there BECAUSE of the racing programs - and not just Killington. And there is my point - racing is treated as an "extra" and viewed as "small" when it can be a HUGE income producer for the areas that tap into it.

Edited to fix formatting. - Lostone

BushMogulMaster
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
I get the above points of course - but if you read my entire post, the point is more that racing is unfortunately not taken as seriously here as at other areas - regardless of this year\'s conditions. And I said why not blow snow on HALF of Inverness, not the whole trail - which by the way wouldn\'t be a problem if we had morw \"snowmaking horesepower\". It\'s not like GMVS doesn\'t contribute anything to the mountain. Also, I have friends who chose to go to Killington, even though they like SB more, because they can put their kids in the racing program there. So there are entire families (many) going elsewhere and spending all their money there BECAUSE of the racing programs - and not just Killington. And there is my point - racing is treated as an \"extra\" and viewed as \"small\" when it can be a HUGE income producer for the areas that tap into it.

I see. I had interpreted it as though you were basing your thoughts on this year alone.

You make some good points, but I still don't think it's quite as important as you do, but that's just a matter of opinion. It's definitely a revenue maker, especially in F&B.

By the way, sugarboarder, is there a reason that there is always a backslash (\) by your quotation marks? Or am I the only one who sees them??? I only ask because it scews up the BBCode formatting.

sugarboarder
12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
By the way, sugarboarder, is there a reason that there is always a backslash (\\) by your quotation marks? Or am I the only one who sees them??? I only ask because it scews up the BBCode formatting.

Yeah, I think this is happening when I browse through a PHP proxy, which I prefer for security.

BushMogulMaster
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I think this is happening when I browse through a PHP proxy, which I prefer for security.

Yup... that would do it. :wink:

Bubba
01-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a mogul comp on Sat/Sun.
They'll blow some snow and build the bumps by hand.

The race course will get open as soon as they can. I know that Matt O'Brien is chomping at the bit and ski bum races are supposed to start this Thurs.

ski_resort_observer
01-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Good Morning Sugarbush it's 2007! (Editors note: I did think of this at 8AM, I'm just a slow typer. Even tho this post is from geezerland me and the wife partied at First Night Burlington till the wee hours getting back home minutes before the freezing rain hit. Whew!

BTW, local Elizabeth Von Trapp kicked standing room only butt at the Flynn and that was just one of the incredible performances we got to see at 2 bucks a pop at diferent venues all around downtown.

The race course will get open as soon as they can. I know that Matt O'Brien is chomping at the bit and ski bum races are supposed to start this Thurs.

Ya got that right! Those geezers are serious competitors! :wink: :lol: I'm so excited that after all the years working at the Bush I think I have Thursday's off and I can now join the coolest bunch of skiers you could ever want to meet. I was just talking to my most favorite co-worker, I think Bob is about 74, still gets in 40+ ski days. His take on this is that if the weather cooperates the snowmakers will get over there before Thursday to be able to race. We don't really have any solid facts or inside knowledge just our gut feelings. We know the snowmakers want to take care of it and when they can they will.

The racing thing at the Bush is pretty interesting. I had a short(2 seasons) but eye-opening experience as a JH/HS ski coach which had an elite program in Maine. Half of my kids skied on the school team during the week and every weekend they went to the huge top notch racings programs at either SR or the Loaf.

I really don't know the exact numbers in the racing programs at the Bush but having such a close relationship with a prep school with an elite racing program(one of many in NE) is fun to see. Having legends like Doug Lewis and John Egan on board means that the programs will only get better. Egan has really expanded the season long programs just as one small example. Heck, they now even have a 55+ season long program where people of my generation(big cough) can get alittle wild or get better in the bumps with some great coaches to show them the way.

I think the Bush has an awesome and growing racing/skiing program, diferent than SR, the Loaf, Shawnee Peak(check that place out on JH/HS racing night) or Kmart.

sugarboarder
01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
...if the weather cooperates the snowmakers will get over there before Thursday to be able to race. We don't really have any solid facts or inside knowledge just our gut feelings. We know the snowmakers want to take care of it and when they can they will. .

If they let us race Thursday then then should let the USASA alpine races go on on Saturday - which they apparently have already cancelled...why cancel if there is still a possibility of racing? :?

I think the Bush has an awesome and growing racing/skiing program...

Really? Growing maybe, but "awesome"...no.

Ya got that right! Those geezers are serious competitors..

Watch the geezer comments - I'm 44 - and there are "others"! :wink: It's actually open to any age...come on down!

Lostone
01-02-2007, 06:27 PM
This one was probably being written as I was splitting the topics. I have moved it here the only way I could. :roll: - Lostone

Watch the geezer comments - I'm 44 - and there are "others"! :wink: It's actually open to any age...come on down!

I realize that kids like you and younger race, they need you guys to smooth the course before the more experienced racers hit the run. :wink: :lol: I also hear the social hour after is fun too.

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
ROFLMAO.....when I finished editing my post I found myself in the wrong thread and all alone.

Lostone
01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Kinda like, you hadn't moved, but the room had changed? :lol:

Sorry! :wink:

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 06:46 PM
At first I was thinking "gee, I haven't had an LSD flashback from the 60's in years....:lol:

sugarboarder
01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
So much for keeping the thread on topic - LOL - how about a "I'm lost on the skimrv forums" thread? :lol:

Anyway - I'll add to this topic tomorrow...I'm just too damn pissed off right now and need to think about how to say what I want , no need, to say in a decent manner.

I'm really starting to hate this place (Sugarbush), which is too bad...I love the people, have loved the mountain for 20 years, but the BS is so deep it's like a powder day with BS face shots sometimes. It's the MRG effect. :(

freeheel_skier
01-04-2007, 08:00 AM
"but the BS is so deep it's like a powder day with BS face shots sometimes. It's the MRG effect." :(

I know your irritated. But, that is one of the funniest lines I have read in a while. I almost spit my coffee all over my monitor! :lol:

sasquatch
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Just use your BS skis - you'll be fine (Bull Slalom). :wink:

What's the "MRG effect"??

sugarboarder
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Mad River Glen effect - the anti-snowboard people around here. It's amazing what I hear on a daily basis...it's like stepping back in time 15 years. I was on the lift at ME last week with a mother and her son, with my alpine board on, and I said "Nice day huh?". To which she replied, "yeah, except for the snowboarders". I s*** you not man. I didn't know what to say - I mean - it's like saying "I hate people who work in restaurants" when the waitress/waiter is at your table. So I asked her what specifically was the problem. Her answer: "We usually ski at Mad River, I just don't like them...the general intelligence level is just missing". Again, I promise you, I am NOT making this up. And her little kid is sitting RIGHT THERE between us! I was going to try to reason with here - and point out the item attached to my feet - but I figured it wasn't worth it and just kept silent the rest of the way up.

I figure maybe she's the woman on the local MRG ad that says "we never go any place else"...which would explain a lot, and I feel sorry for her in that sense with all the great mountains available in the world.

Earlier this year, before MRG opened, I was also at ME when I overheard the following in the liftline. This guy skis up to his wife/girlfriend (she was already in line in front of me) and she says "What happend?" He says "I hit a snowboarder bump and fell". Snowboarder bump??? :lol: They were both weraing MRG jackets so I know they were locals. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So I take this to mean that these folks are unable to stay upright unless everything on the snow surface is perfect and the bumps are shaped by skis and the moon is in the 7th house..."Ski it if you can" indeed!! :lol:

Now I know plenty of supremely talented skiers over at MRG who are also great people, so this isn't representative of everyone there, but I NEVER hear stuff like this ANYWHERE else anymore, and I go to a LOT of different mountains. Heck, one guy and his wife refused to get on the charlift at South with me last year on a very busy day when the lift attendants tried to pair us up (I was in the singles line) - you guessed it...MRG jackets. Amazing. We don't bite. I'm a friendly and grown up intelligent person, who chooses to snowboard. The last ime I heard anything like this anywhere else was 15 years ago on the chair at Beaver Creek. I'm on the Centennial lift with a Mother, Father and their son. He says "Do you like that?" - referring to my snowboard. I'm thinking of answering "No, I'm into torturing myself" or something similar, but I just said "yeah, I love it". He responds "Aren't you a little old for that?" I was 30 at the time. Then he adds - "it's a DAREDEVIL sport". :lol: That's me - overage immature daredevil. What would that make me now? (I know I'm opening myself up here - have at it folks!!)

Anyway - I just find it really sad that at my favorite mountain in the world these attitudes still exist...some sort of a time warp. Hope I don't hit a "skier bump" and fall down this week! :wink:

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Case in point - check out Abe Froman's sig on this thread...

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=612

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.

Abe Froman
01-09-2007, 02:44 PM

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.

It's a quote from Glenn Plake.....I thought it was pretty funny :lol: :lol

BTW I ride a Custom X and sometimes a T6. When I ain't riding I'm skiing on my K2 skinnies!

ski_resort_observer
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
As I think Abe has surmised Plake over the years has said many wacky things and I bet it was toungue in cheek as he supports getting down the hill on whatever means you have at your disposal as long as your having fun. You should have seen the show, Reel Thrills, where he tried those crazy snowbike things, I'm still laughing thinking about it.

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 06:52 PM

It's a quote from Glenn Plake.....I thought it was pretty funny :lol: :lol

BTW I ride a Custom X and sometimes a T6. When I ain't riding I'm skiing on my K2 skinnies!

Good to hear - I hereby retract my use of AF to illustrate the "case in point". How about skiing the way it was before GP came along?!?! :P

sugarboarder
01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
As I think Abe has surmised Plake over the years has said many wacky things and I bet it was toungue in cheek as he supports getting down the hill on whatever means you have at your disposal as long as your having fun. You should have seen the show, Reel Thrills, where he tried those crazy snowbike things, I'm still laughing thinking about it.

Missed the Reel Thrills snowbike episode - I'm sure I'll se it again at some point. I'll be lookin' for ya AF!!

skiladi
01-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Mad River Glen effect - the anti-snowboard people around here. It's amazing what I hear on a daily basis...it's like stepping back in time 15 years. I was on the lift at ME last week with a mother and her son, with my alpine board on, and I said "Nice day huh?". To which she replied, "yeah, except for the snowboarders". I s*** you not man. I didn't know what to say - I mean - it's like saying "I hate people who work in restaurants" when the waitress/waiter is at your table. So I asked her what specifically was the problem. Her answer: "We usually ski at Mad River, I just don't like them...the general intelligence level is just missing". Again, I promise you, I am NOT making this up. And her little kid is sitting RIGHT THERE between us! I was going to try to reason with here - and point out the item attached to my feet - but I figured it wasn't worth it and just kept silent the rest of the way up.

I figure maybe she's the woman on the local MRG ad that says "we never go any place else"...which would explain a lot, and I feel sorry for her in that sense with all the great mountains available in the world.

Earlier this year, before MRG opened, I was also at ME when I overheard the following in the liftline. This guy skis up to his wife/girlfriend (she was already in line in front of me) and she says "What happend?" He says "I hit a snowboarder bump and fell". Snowboarder bump??? :lol: They were both weraing MRG jackets so I know they were locals. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So I take this to mean that these folks are unable to stay upright unless everything on the snow surface is perfect and the bumps are shaped by skis and the moon is in the 7th house..."Ski it if you can" indeed!! :lol:

Now I know plenty of supremely talented skiers over at MRG who are also great people, so this isn't representative of everyone there, but I NEVER hear stuff like this ANYWHERE else anymore, and I go to a LOT of different mountains. Heck, one guy and his wife refused to get on the charlift at South with me last year on a very busy day when the lift attendants tried to pair us up (I was in the singles line) - you guessed it...MRG jackets. Amazing. We don't bite. I'm a friendly and grown up intelligent person, who chooses to snowboard. The last ime I heard anything like this anywhere else was 15 years ago on the chair at Beaver Creek. I'm on the Centennial lift with a Mother, Father and their son. He says "Do you like that?" - referring to my snowboard. I'm thinking of answering "No, I'm into torturing myself" or something similar, but I just said "yeah, I love it". He responds "Aren't you a little old for that?" I was 30 at the time. Then he adds - "it's a DAREDEVIL sport". :lol: That's me - overage immature daredevil. What would that make me now? (I know I'm opening myself up here - have at it folks!!)

Anyway - I just find it really sad that at my favorite mountain in the world these attitudes still exist...some sort of a time warp. Hope I don't hit a "skier bump" and fall down this week! :wink:

Do what all the other riders do , including myself. Stick your earbuds in and listen to some good tunage. ; }
But seriously , I've been riding for ten years and I hear a few comments even from my friends that raise the hackles but not as blatant as what you've described here. Chock it up to " poor snow year grumpiness". But your story made me laugh just picturing what these people were
like and your reaction.
I have a story...I was riding at Loon here in NH and I jumped in to the gondi with a skiing couple and she was a real snooty-looking gal and he looked whipped. The gondi had a real
"aromatic" smell about it and she says , " This smells like Marijuana!" Her nose was all up in the air and waving her hands around. Her hubby looked like she goes on like this even if it was
roses she detected. So I say, ( while holding on to my ride)" Those damn snowboarders. " I
thought the guy was gonna stroke! He was suppressing a laugh so hard he turned purple. The rest of the ride was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quiet. ; }

sugarboarder
01-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Do what all the other riders do , including myself. Stick your earbuds in and listen to some good tunage. ; }
But seriously , I've been riding for ten years and I hear a few comments even from my friends that raise the hackles but not as blatant as what you've described here. Chock it up to " poor snow year grumpiness". But your story made me laugh just picturing what these people were
like and your reaction.
I have a story...I was riding at Loon here in NH and I jumped in to the gondi with a skiing couple and she was a real snooty-looking gal and he looked whipped. The gondi had a real
"aromatic" smell about it and she says , " This smells like Marijuana!" Her nose was all up in the air and waving her hands around. Her hubby looked like she goes on like this even if it was
roses she detected. So I say, ( while holding on to my ride)" Those damn snowboarders. " I
thought the guy was gonna stroke! He was suppressing a laugh so hard he turned purple. The rest of the ride was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quiet. ; }

Trouble maker!! :wink: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/images/smilies/1luvu.gif

ski_resort_observer
01-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I heard your kinda tall..... :D

sugarboarder
01-14-2007, 12:07 AM

???????????????

skiladi
01-14-2007, 06:50 AM

???????????????

The only thing I can surmise is that SRO is commenting to Sasquatch :?:

sugarboarder
01-14-2007, 08:50 AM

???????????????

The only thing I can surmise is that SRO is commenting to Sasquatch :?:

:lol: :lol: Nope, it was me (6' 3" above sea level mon)...he's tying to redirect the thread! :lol:

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok - new thing to work on regarding this. We (Sugarbush Racing Club) were told that there would be gates set on Spring Fling to train in today, without timing. Cool. I wasn't going to go the the mountain today, but when I heard that, I moved some things around and made the effort to go up. But when I get there - no gates. I could have been getting work done so this was maddening. Word was (second hand - so not necessarily true) that there wasn't enough snow to set gates. But I doubt that was the case, as gates were set last weekend and we haven't lost any snow (in fact, we gained) since then.

So - things happen, and Mr. Murphy is always around. But there has to be better communication somehow. I really made an effort to get up there today, at the sacrifice of other things, and it was all for not. The SRC put out the word just last night that we could train today, and less than 24 hours later, with no visible problems, we couldn't. So there is a breakdown in communication somewhere - with SRC and mountain ops. How can we do better? Any ideas anybody??

Lostone
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't know who told who what, but there were gates on Spring Fling today. Some people from GMVS were training there, this morning.

Plowboy
01-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like the parts were put back in the Inverness chair today. As Tom said "It's going round and round again". 8)

BushMogulMaster
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Looks like the parts were put back in the Inverness chair today. As Tom said "It's going round and round again". 8)

Yup... saw it spinning, and saw 6 maintenance guys in the drive terminal at one time! Looked like a party! Should be open soon. That'll certainly make GMVS happy! And since the snowmaking is done on Inverness, it should be pushed and groomed soon. Cool 8) . Then the racers will have their favorite spot again, and I can take the rest of the mountain back for myself :wink: .

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't know who told who what, but there were gates on Spring Fling today. Some people from GMVS were training there, this morning.

Correct - that's why I doubt the second-hand info I got about there not being enough snow to set the NASTAR gates.

Lostone
01-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Of course, the gates today, (and yesterday) were on the left side of the trail.

sugarboarder
01-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Of course, the gates today, (and yesterday) were on the left side of the trail.

Sorry, but I'm missing your point...really. :?

win
01-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Sugarboarder, you are not going to like this. As much as we blew on Spring Fling, we are still thin and need to get back there to make more snow. Matt told me today that this is the case. We are going up to Birch first because we need to get that pod open to handle to traffic that I think we will see this weekend and then we are going to Lower Snowball and Racer's Edge (so we can have a second Nastar) and then we hopefully can get back on Spring Fling by the end of the weekend and set it up finally for the season. ASRA is here Fri, Sat and Sun. Spring Fling will be closed Friday and Sunday for them, and on Saturday they will be using the Nastar course for their Slalom event so Nastar will not be open to the Public this weekend. Had we Racer's Edge, we would set Nastar there but alas we do not. Sorry, I am bummed too!

sugarboarder
01-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Sugarboarder, you are not going to like this. As much as we blew on Spring Fling, we are still thin and need to get back there to make more snow. Matt told me today that this is the case. We are going up to Birch first because we need to get that pod open to handle to traffic that I think we will see this weekend and then we are going to Lower Snowball and Racer's Edge (so we can have a second Nastar) and then we hopefully can get back on Spring Fling by the end of the weekend and set it up finally for the season. ASRA is here Fri, Sat and Sun. Spring Fling will be closed Friday and Sunday for them, and on Saturday they will be using the Nastar course for their Slalom event so Nastar will not be open to the Public this weekend. Had we Racer's Edge, we would set Nastar there but alas we do not. Sorry, I am bummed too!

You're right , I don't like it. :cry: And I'm not griping - just trying to understand how we were told we could run training Tues. night, then Wed, AM we couldn't - after NASTAR was open last weekend. I REALLY was hoping to finally train there on Friday for my weekend races at Ascutney and Shawnee Peak.

It seems we really need NASTAR to be separate from Spring Fling completely and permanently. There are just too many races shutting it down all the time - GMVS, Other Ski Club races, ASRA, you name it. I know it's not MY mountain - it's just frustrating when I see other areas I go to not having these problems.

Is there any chance of doing what NASTAR does elsewhere - daily NASTAR??

If you see this reply this AM - are we running the SRC race there today??

win
01-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Matt sent out an explanation this am about yesterday to SRC list and also confirmed Ski Bum is on today. See you there.

sugarboarder
01-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Matt sent out an explanation this am about yesterday to SRC list and also confirmed Ski Bum is on today. See you there.

Thanks Win - I'd like to offer you something. Since I am so vocal about this subject and tend to do a lot of whining about it, I figured the least I can do is give back something to the thing that I take so much pleasure from.

It seems like Matt could use a hand setting up on Thursdays for the SRC races. So...I'd be happy to help Matt set up on Thursdays, no charge. Just tell me what time to be there and where to meet him. :)

It's been said recently by some imnvolved that "I just can't get enough" - and this is true. But I want to just clarify why I am so intense about this subject. If I were just wnating to run gates for fun, I could see how people might think I'm being WAY too concerned about all this. But, I am not doing it solely for fun - I am trying to win a USASA National Championship, or at least get on the podium. I have an excellent shot at it and finished fourth last year just a few tenths out of two bronze medals in SL and Alpine Overall. At age 44 I don't have a coach, trainer, and limited to no sponsorship - it's totally a labor of love. I am ALWAYS deadly serious about competition - or I wouldn't do it - and I usually can be successful by leaving no stone unturned in my quest for whatever it is I am chasing. I have had the same unwavering focus in marathon kayaking the last three years and after a "just off the podium" 4th place at the USCA Nationals in 2005, I got a Silver medal at the 2006 Nationals - and I KNOW I can do it in this sport too. There are people that think I am semi-nuts to be going after these things at my age, but there were limitations in my life earlier on which prevented me from doing so, even though I made a promise to myself at age 6 that I would win a National Championship in some sport...I just didn't have any clue it would be at this stage of my life! So that is why I am so wrapped up in this. I will overcome any obstacle put in my way, no matter what, but I may be a PITA here and there along the way, to achieve those goals. I'll try to keep it to a dull roar!!

Win - lastly - thank you for even giving two hoots about anything I say - it means you care about it, I know that, and I appreciate it. I don't mean to offend. Most mountain owners would probably just ignore me.

Yard Sale
01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Sugarboarder, Good Luck!

Tin Woodsman
01-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks Win - I'd like to offer you something. Since I am so vocal about this subject and tend to do a lot of whining about it, I figured the least I can do is give back something to the thing that I take so much pleasure from.

It seems like Matt could use a hand setting up on Thursdays for the SRC races. So...I'd be happy to help Matt set up on Thursdays, no charge. Just tell me what time to be there and where to meet him. :)

It's been said recently by some imnvolved that "I just can't get enough" - and this is true. But I want to just clarify why I am so intense about this subject. If I were just wnating to run gates for fun, I could see how people might think I'm being WAY too concerned about all this. But, I am not doing it solely for fun - I am trying to win a USASA National Championship, or at least get on the podium. I have an excellent shot at it and finished fourth last year just a few tenths out of two bronze medals in SL and Alpine Overall. At age 44 I don't have a coach, trainer, and limited to no sponsorship - it's totally a labor of love. I am ALWAYS deadly serious about competition - or I wouldn't do it - and I usually can be successful by leaving no stone unturned in my quest for whatever it is I am chasing. I have had the same unwavering focus in marathon kayaking the last three years and after a "just off the podium" 4th place at the USCA Nationals in 2005, I got a Silver medal at the 2006 Nationals - and I KNOW I can do it in this sport too. There are people that think I am semi-nuts to be going after these things at my age, but there were limitations in my life earlier on which prevented me from doing so, even though I made a promise to myself at age 6 that I would win a National Championship in some sport...I just didn't have any clue it would be at this stage of my life! So that is why I am so wrapped up in this. I will overcome any obstacle put in my way, no matter what, but I may be a PITA here and there along the way, to achieve those goals. I'll try to keep it to a dull roar!!

Win - lastly - thank you for even giving two hoots about anything I say - it means you care about it, I know that, and I appreciate it. I don't mean to offend. Most mountain owners would probably just ignore me.

It seems like your passion for these competitions is matched only by your passion for Sugarbush.

Good show!

BushMogulMaster
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM

It's nice to see someone willing to do something instead of just sit around and complain. Props to you, sugarboarder! :D

sugarboarder
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks everybody - I wasn't looking for compliments but I truly I appreciate it. 8)

BTW - my avatar is from a Sugarbush Racing Club race on Racer's Edge back in 1995...been lovin' racing on that hill a long time! Note the retro padded sweater - sweeeet!!

win
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Thank you Sugarboarder! I will speak to Matt tomorrow about this. It is a very nice offer. Thank you also for putting up your starting gates. We will have to get more racing boarders to Thursday's ski bum race. As I stood in line behind you today, I said to someone who knows you and reads the blogs, "He may be a PITA sometime, but he sure can race." You looked really smooth! Good luck this weekend!

noski
01-26-2007, 07:59 AM
At age 44 I don't have a coach, trainer, and limited to no sponsorship - it's totally a labor of love.

hmmmmm. I'll pledge $20 to start the SkiMRV Sugarboarder sponsorship. Get the logo in high res from Greg, stick it on the bottom of your board and we will all watch you on the podium as you present your sponsor logo to the TV camera. ;)

Strat
01-26-2007, 08:17 AM
At age 44 I don't have a coach, trainer, and limited to no sponsorship - it's totally a labor of love.

hmmmmm. I'll pledge $20 to start the SkiMRV Sugarboarder sponsorship. Get the logo in high res from Greg, stick it on the bottom of your board and we will all watch you on the podium as you present your sponsor logo to the TV camera. ;)
Sticking it on the bottom of his board may not be conducive to speed...

:wink:

noski
01-26-2007, 08:21 AM

You're right, he needs to be sure to put it horizontally, not vertically. Or he can use my $20 to have it screened on.

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 09:42 AM

You're right, he needs to be sure to put it horizontally, not vertically. Or he can use my $20 to have it screened on.

Lessee...I get $20, then I get to PAY to have the SkiMRV logo screened onto the BOTTOM of my board over the nice race structure and expensive wax...hmmm...and SkiMRV is partly a MRG supporter...OK, you got a deal...but only if I can ride at MRG! How 'bout it?? :? :lol: 8)

BushMogulMaster
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
OK, you got a deal...but only if I can ride at MRG! How 'bout it?? :? :lol: 8)

Riiiiiight...... :wink:

Ain't nevva gonna happen! :D

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you Sugarboarder! I will speak to Matt tomorrow about this. It is a very nice offer. Thank you also for putting up your starting gates. We will have to get more racing boarders to Thursday's ski bum race. As I stood in line behind you today, I said to someone who knows you and reads the blogs, "He may be a PITA sometime, but he sure can race." You looked really smooth! Good luck this weekend!

Thank you for the compliment Win! Happy to help if I can.

The starting gates are a huge improvement for us riders. I have been thinking though (uh oh) that I should contact NASTAR. If snowboard handicaps are to be fair among boarders in NASTAR, than they should standardize the start method at every course - especially on the flatter courses where lack of start pulls is deadly to a snowboarder's times. Many NASTAR courses I've been at have a start house where you can pull on the side of the building, or there are grips attached to the start door sides, so they are all set there - but my poles would be necessary elsewhere. I can even shoot NASTAR the "design" such as it is - and it's cheap! I got two ten foot aluminum pipes at Kenyons for $20 and cut them in half - the crutch tip covers were $3 at Bisbee's!

I'd love to get some of our local riders to race, especially the kids, but they are in school Thursdays. I see plenty of kids who are fast enough to race on a board, especially if they had real alpine equipment - some can even carve a turn ( :shock: ) - but getting them out of the baggy clothes and into a race suit and hard boots may be a trick...might have better luck with young ski racers! :)

If anyone knows a kid, or adult, who might like to try alpine racing then let me know - I'd be glad to give pointers and equipment recommendations.

noski
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Lessee...I get $20, then I get to PAY to have the SkiMRV logo screened onto the BOTTOM of my board over the nice race structure and expensive wax...hmmm...and SkiMRV is partly a MRG supporter...OK, you got a deal...but only if I can ride at MRG! How 'bout it?? :? :lol: 8)

How about you just take the $20 and buy beer after the race, and TOAST the sponsor, don't ROAST her!

win
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Spoke to Matt and he really appreciates you offer and will get in touch directly!

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Spoke to Matt and he really appreciates you offer and will get in touch directly!

Thank you sir - I will plan to be up there earlier than usual on Thursdays.

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 05:42 PM
OK, you got a deal...but only if I can ride at MRG! How 'bout it?? :? :lol: 8)

Riiiiiight...... :wink:

Ain't nevva gonna happen! :D

Truth is - it already has...but not OFFICIALLY. :wink:

sugarboarder
01-26-2007, 05:44 PM

How about you just take the $20 and buy beer after the race, and TOAST the sponsor, don't ROAST her!

Nope - that wasn't the deal...but we'll still TOAST you anyway. 8)