PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks??

CapeSkiGuy
01-01-2007, 11:22 PM
OK, so we go to the Castlerock Pub at about 6:30...and there is a sign outside the door to the Gatehouse that the fireworks start at 7PM. Fine. We go inside and have a cocktail. About 6:55 we headed outside and up the stairs to watch the fireworks. Us, and a couple hundred other folks and kids, and such. And we wait. And we wait. And we freeze. And soon, a trickle of folks began leaving. A rumor spread through the crowd that there was a wind hold on the fireworks. Well, a couple of chairlifts were on wind hold Sunday, and it seemed credible. We left, then stayed in the parking lot for a bit longer. At long last, we said that no fireworks were worth freezing our butts off over, and headed back to the condo. Naturally, as we parked at the condo, the flashes and booms started over the mountain. Just my luck.

So was it really a wind hold? We stayed as long as we could, because it was freakin' cold. And the bar closed, too. I lose on two counts! :? :?

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Fireworks are serious pyro ordinance. That combined with the general idea of reducing the chance that a late exploder could land on a condo or even Claybrook and then burn to the ground might be one of the reasons that wind could be a problem. How many beers did you say you had at the Castlerock Pub? :roll:

Lostone
01-02-2007, 09:06 AM
When I was heading out for the fireworks, I was wondering how to dress. It was 6:45, so I first thought I'll be out for less than a hlaf hour, and it was 20°. But then I thought about how often things happen at the exact time they are planned. (Are your lives done so much better, and is it just me? :cry: )

So I dressed for winter. The only thing that was cold on me were my fingers, as I had my camera (There's a shocker! :roll: ) and had taken off my mittens, leaving only my warming gloves.

There were quite a few that left. Most I saw that did were teens. Those that stayed were treated to a pretty good fireworks show. 8)

CapeSkiGuy
01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Fireworks are serious pyro ordinance. That combined with the general idea of reducing the chance that a late exploder could land on a condo or even Claybrook and then burn to the ground might be one of the reasons that wind could be a problem. How many beers did you say you had at the Castlerock Pub? :roll:

No need for condescension, thanks. I actually had one drink at Castlerock (as if that question is either germaine or warranted). I am well aware of the safety issue involving fireworks, as well. Thank you for educating me with your obviously advanced fire inspection experience. My only observation, which rises only to the level of comment and not complaint, is that nobody outside knew why there was a delay, and rumors circulated. Therefore, some folks left who may have stayed had they known.

Sorry if I irritated you with my observations and comments. I thought this was a message board for observations and comments! Silly me. Next time I will expect derision and insult. Thanks for straightening me out.

win
01-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Actually, there should have been better communication, and I need to fix this for the next fireworks. I was in Timbers without my radio which was a mistake on my part. When I found someone with it and got in touch with the pyro guys they were ready to light. While some did leave, a good crowd was on hand and it was a good fireworks!

Lostone
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Moderator note: To all:

Please try to refrain with personal attacks.

I'd really like to keep these discussions on a civil (and even friendly) basis. I would like to do nothing, as a moderator. :wink:

Please try to argue the issue; not the person.

Thanx for your support. 8)

CapeSkiGuy
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Moderator note: To all:

Please try to refrain with personal attacks.

I'd really like to keep these discussions on a civil (and even friendly) basis. I would like to do nothing, as a moderator. :wink:

Please try to argue the issue; not the person.

Thanx for your support. 8)

Thanks for the reminder.

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM

No need for condescension, thanks. I actually had one drink at Castlerock (as if that question is either germaine or warranted). I am well aware of the safety issue involving fireworks, as well. Thank you for educating me with your obviously advanced fire inspection experience. My only observation, which rises only to the level of comment and not complaint, is that nobody outside knew why there was a delay, and rumors circulated. Therefore, some folks left who may have stayed had they known.

Sorry if I irritated you with my observations and comments. I thought this was a message board for observations and comments! Silly me. Next time I will expect derision and insult. Thanks for straightening me out.

Cape...my post was totally tongue in cheek....I wasn't irritated and apologize for appearing condescending. As you can see by many of my posts I guess I thought since I use the :wink: so much maybe the scarcasm :roll: would be ok and indicate I was kidding.

I have two personal goals on this board. #1, if someone is looking for info and I know the answer I want provide the info ASAP. For 5 years I answered the 1-800-53-SUGAR line so my job was not only to know everything Sugarbush but most importantly that the info I gave out was 1000% accurate.

#2, I like to interject as much humor as possible here. I'm not Readers Digest but I strongly believe that "Laughfter is the Best Medicine". On a forum like this coming across as humor can sometimes get lost. Obviously, this is what happened with my post. Sorry about that. :D

CapeSkiGuy
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for saying so. I retract my own sarcastic reply. I will make nice from now on.

skiladi
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for saying so. I retract my own sarcastic reply. I will make nice from now on.

Aw...time for a group hug. ; }

Fireworks were great. I had a perfect view from inside Timbers right behind Win... 8) who was outside.
Scarlett O'Hara has nothing on me. ; }

Yard Sale
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I had a great time at the fire works. In fact, the kids enjoyed the extra playtime in the snow. It being New years Eve and all, I packed a couple of adult road sodas for the event. My only suggestion would be to have the sno guns at the base off during such an event. While typically that ripping sound of air and crystallizing H2O warms the cockles of my heart, standing close to them for an extended period of time is a bit harsh on the old ear drums. This might also allow for communication to occur over the P.A. system. It is unusual to have them on at the base this time of year, so maybe their impact was not fully considered, or maybe the sno making over ruled. I wouldn't know, but I do have faith that those at SB Mountain Ops do. It was a beautiful winter night to be outside.

BTW, Win you will find that a walkie talkie may ruin the lines of your tux. Unless of course, your taylor has also served some time in Her Majesties Secret Service. I think all would agree that you've earned the right to take one night off and enjoy SB just like everyone else.