PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed Music

obsession
01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
The music played in the Gate House lodge and outside has little variety. I am up at Sugarbush nearly every weekend and was also there over Christmas week and this season I have heard only three different artists being played; Jack Johnson, Nora Jones and the Rolling Stones. Although I do like these artists, they are being overplayed. Hanging around the lodge would be much more enjoyable if the resort could get more music variety.

Lostone
01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it is a satellite station. And I know I heard two Doors songs and at least one by The Animals, on Sunday.

But by-in-large, I tune the music out.

Tin Woodsman
01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
The music played in the Gate House lodge and outside has little variety. I am up at Sugarbush nearly every weekend and was also there over Christmas week and this season I have heard only three different artists being played; Jack Johnson, Nora Jones and the Rolling Stones. Although I do like these artists, they are being overplayed. Hanging around the lodge would be much more enjoyable if the resort could get more music variety.

I hear ya on the Jack Johnson front, though I've noticed a lot of the Dead and some occasional Phish in the repertoire as well.

Mtnlady
01-02-2007, 07:23 AM
One of the things I run is the music, so beat me up over the 10 CD's I've had to work with so far...

We are scheduled to be hooked up to something besides CD's - punch-list items in the new lodge being
addressed on-going. So far, all we have for options are CD's, most donated by me, other GS staff, and
the person who installed the awesome system to deliver it all.

We will have satelite connection to music soon.

Meanwhile, anyone have good quality CD's to lend? Charlie Daniels, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, B-52's, other energetic-and-socially-acceptible stuff, never rap, and at least one Reggae for Hardy who observes it soothes the restless...

Can you guess I am a bit older, but truly open to all tastes in music within limits of 'family rated' and
'non-sleep inducing'.

And in my world, the PA system is the raison d'etre of the whole thing - letting the fans know what is up and what is not - and how to be prepared for the reality at the summit.

Sorry for any lame hours so far. One truth about music: someone will always love what someone else hates. It's a difficult task at times to select for the current crowd, weather, season, and time of day.
I look forward to having all systems ready and running.

Bubba
01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
I've also heard some Stevie Ray Vaughn and some Albert King.
I think the music selection has been AWESOME! I've even caught Charly dancing.

If the music is getting to you, it must be that you are spending way too much time in the lodge. I'm there almost every day and I'm still diggin' it.

In my oh so humble opinion. :wink:

notorious
01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Happy to provide my history of reggae mix ska/rocksteady/roots/dancehall. Will drop off saturday at LP desk. I did notice a lot of Nora Jones. No problem with it though.

AngryJohnny
01-02-2007, 11:51 AM
KARIOKE!

smootharc
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Happy to provide my history of reggae mix ska/rocksteady/roots/dancehall.

...and probably would expose some folks to a neighborhood of tunes they don't visit very often.

I'd be happy to throw down with a mix of upbeat chill/electronica that you can play 24/7 and never notice you've heard something before. Sort of like hip elevator Muzak, if such a thing could be thought of to exist.

Mtnlady
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I promise to care for your contributions while awaiting connection to satelite!

obsession
01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
If the music is getting to you, it must be that you are spending way too much time in the lodge. I don't spend much time in the lodge it must just be whenever I am in there i hear the same music. Whenever I get a break from picking 4 year olds up over on the sunkid I am out on the slopes. :)

Strat
01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Just curious, what are the Grateful Dead CD's that have played so far?

WWF-VT
01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Just curious, what are the Grateful Dead CD's that have played so far?

Sounded like "Live Dead" to me.

shadyjay
01-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey, it could be worse. When I worked for a ski area in CT for a few years, the music constantly played was the Beach Boys and NSYNC (or some band of that nature). I was a liftee and it drove me crazy. Thank god I had a portable CD / radio which I used to crank up my own tunes - more of that which would get you pumped for the slopes.

Now I really don't care what music is played because I have my IPOD. I know the Summit Quad was playing terrestrial radio over the weekend, though I did hear satellite radio at a mtn in southern VT.

-Jay

skiladi
01-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Someone out there must have a burner. Which satelite station? If you get XM will you play deep tracks #40 or bluesville #74 for me on Mondays? ; }

smootharc
01-04-2007, 04:49 PM
"Smoothie's Sugarmix"

Rolling Stone Magazine had this to say: "Smoothie's Sugarmix is a feelgood, upvibe, chill-tronica masterwork that makes ski lodges happy places to inhabit. Smoothie may have an ulterior motive, though, because with everyone in the lodge listening to these great tunes, Smoothie has the slopes and the fresh pow-pow to himself." :D

1. Dice / Finley Quaye & William Orbit / 4:15
2. Remind Me / Röyksopp / 3:39
3. Still Lost / West Indian Girl / 4:41
4. Voulez-Vous? / Arling & Cameron / 4:20
5. Lucky Man / The Verve / 4:53
6. Hollywood / West Indian Girl / 4:56
7. Days Gone Bye / Dirty Vegas / 3:34
8. Mon Amour, Ma Cherie / Amadou & Mariam / 5:20
9. Summertime Thing / Chuck Prophet / 5:11
10. Lost / Vast / 4:01
11. Two Fat Feet / The Fiery Furnaces / 4:06
12. Limbe / S-Tone Inc. / 4:41
13. I Like Birds / Eels / 2:35
14. Galaxies / Laura Veirs / 3:35
15. Sftg & Colein / Lean On Me / 6:41
16. Flying Low / Willard Grant Conspiracy / 5:37
17. Soulshine / Michael Franti / 3:58

Anyways, staff can check it out behind closed doors and see if it might be worth throwing into the mix.

Mtnlady
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Smootharc - is that Smoothie's Sugarmix made by you, or what?
Are you truly famous with RSMag?
Can you tell I am a very literal and - well, gullible - person ... :roll:

I look forward to your offering - I see you as an ally - no time to proof-listen.

Skiladi, we'll try your suggestions once we have access to the much anticipated satellite
connection ...

Today, we got clocks in the Gate House and I can retire my miniscule Staples $9 special!!
And, I took my first turns of the season - forced into a meeting in Allyn's late day - and it was great
on the groomers I rode! I heard the same great reviews of ME groomed terrain today.

See everyone soon...

smootharc
01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Smootharc - is that Smoothie's Sugarmix made by you, or what?
Are you truly famous with RSMag?
Can you tell I am a very literal and - well, gullible - person ... :roll:

Smoothie is, unfortunately, only truly famous inside smoothie's head....but I keep trying. It is indeed my mix, though, culled from my embarrasingly large CD collection (began c. 1987). One of the (few) friends I have calls me her sonic curator....and eagerly waits by her mailbox for my latest offerings. My college roommate tries to outspin me....but he was always playing for 2nd place when I was in the room (at least that's how I think I remember it.....but mental fuzzies abound in my gray matter). :lol:

Literal and gullible is good....and just FYI I'm seeking investors for a heli-ski operation in Nebraska. Stone cold lock on 100% returns !

Lostone
01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd love to get in on that heli skiing deal. Nebraska is wide open for ski business opportunities! Not sure we should be discussing it here, as the Sugarbush army is liable to come after us to prevent the competition. :wink:

freeheel_skier
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
In the summer you can use the Heilos to crop dust :lol: Maybe even charter them further west to fight forest fires :?

smootharc
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
....partners it is, then ! Please wire 10 mil each to my Swiss account. My friend Ursul oversees all monetary aspects of Smoothie, Inc.

P.S.

Does anybody know how to fly a 1941 Sikorski S-2 ?

freeheel_skier
01-05-2007, 01:15 PM
http://upload5.postimage.org/124924/sik_s_2.jpg (http://upload5.postimage.org/124924/photo_hosting.html)

S-2 circa 1910...I think it I can get it cheep :?