PDA

View Full Version : I did not have any fun!

Lostone
01-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Or... What a way to finish a year! :D

12-31 I actually started over at North, today. I was on my second run up the GMX when I heard the announcement on the ambassador channel that they’d just opened Stein’s, Snowball and Spring Fling. I immediately decided I was on the wrong mountain. :?

I checked my watch and realized that if I shot to the bottom, I’d have to stand around for about 25 minutes for the next lift. I decided on a Northridge loop. On the way over toward Cruiser, I noticed that they’d dropped the rope on Which Way. The last run had been Cruiser. It was much better than the other day, but still had a solid base. I decided to run Which Way. It was cruddy. There were waterbars, rocks and ice. ( Oh yeah... There was powder too. ) Total Natural snow base. I loved it!

On to Northridge, I was just about to the top, when I checked my watch and decided I had to be at the bottom in 10 minutes to catch the bus. Ran Elbow, where I could see there had been new powder, and that, were I to stay there, there would be edge powder to be found. Still, it was edge powder on a manufactured snow base. I continued toward the bottom.

I flew down Elbow. Faced with Cruiser or Which Way… straight to Which Way. This time, on the way down, I stepped on the rear of one my own skis and decided to lie down and think about it for a few seconds. ( Hear my instructor saying that I shouldn't be lifting that ski?) Still, it was a blast. I got thru that, blasted down thru Straight Shot, popped my skis off, walked across to the parking lot and the bus pulled up.

Same driver that had just dropped me off. He was kind of surprised to see me. I told him about the new trails.

Got over to South. Walked up the stairs. Had the choice of walking around the lodge or taking a run off Gatehouse. I don’t walk uphill when I can take a lift. Yesterday, I had gone down Slowpoke on my ski cycle. It had been so good that I really hated to go to my next cycle. I chose that for my Gatehouse run.

It had gone down a little since yesterday, and, as it was still early, some of the snow was still hardened. Still, I found a tight line on the right that was almost all soft powder.

Over to Super Bravo, and across the traverse. I was heading for Snowball, but my skis made the turn onto Stein’s. (Who is in charge of these skis?? :roll: ) Stein’s was powder, crud, rocks and the right side had a lot of breakable crust. Nobody was skiing the right. I didn’t either. I HATE breakable crust! I have no idea what to do, and the idea of not getting my skis to come around on something like Stein’s is not a happy idea.

I stayed on the left. It was starting to bump up, but they were today’s bumps. It was tough skiing. It was great. Next, I went over to Spring Fling. It was pretty much the same, with not nearly as much breakable crust, and not nearly as steep. It was greater.

Then I tried Lower Snowball. It was better yet. Much higher percentage of powder. You know I don’t like getting caught in that powder stuff! I did 3 more, there. Then I was done. My legs and back were cooked. My face hurt from too much smiling.

I popped 2 more on Slowpoke, on my way back to the condo, and skied to the bridge. First time for the season. A successful ski day is when I ski to the covered bridge! By the last time down Slowpoke, I think we were running about 60% grass.

Bummer is that I just couldn't find a way to have any fun out there. :cry:

:D

BushMogulMaster
01-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a terrible day, Lostone. I'm so sorry for you :wink: .

obsession
01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
You aren't going to like me for this but, I got first tracks on Spring Fling, Stein's & Mall. Spring Fling and Stein's were amazing if you stayed off of skiier's right, it was a little crunchy. Mall had a lot less cover but still a fair amount of powder. The yells of joy and excitement i was making on Spring Fling and Steins were a lot different then the yells of aggony after skiing over rocks on snowball at the end of the day.

Lostone
01-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I... I don't like you for that! :evil:

:lol: