PDA

View Full Version : Current Conditions or ' Just off the Mountain'

jwt
12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Happy New Year all, Just thinking it would be great to see a regular post (string) of those who came off the mountian and had some real time experiences to share. It happens regularly, I know, but generally hidden in other subject lines. Then you have the subjective experiences and folks who skied only one part of the mountain, etc.
So while it may be nothing more than a difference of opinion, many of us come here for just that.
We appreciate Win's input and his attentiveness to mtn ops ( nice to see some hands-on presidendial influence). Most here who post anyway have enough experience to take the posts for what they are. . . . . . subjective reporting, but after a while, like moive critics, you find one or two you agree with and take that to the bank so to speak.
From my perspective yesterday, skiing only at North, it was pretty much epic! Few scratchy spots buy the guys I ski with generally only hit the very sides of the trails, which yesterday, kept filling in with wind-blown powder all day. Sure we had hard MM snow pack and ice up top of Ext/FIS, but once you got beyond the top 100 feet all that wind-dblown powder was deep in mid-trail and filling in all day. We certainly considered it a powder day ( our own house policy is 6"+). Could n't be bothered with getting to South with little to no traffic at North and I am sure more snow ( just always seesm that way) and far less people ( I am assuming, after seeing buses crawl up the Access road at 9 AM) I saw tons of kids in the trees! yesterday with no base ( thought process:" Dad bought this board for me, and the snow LOOKS great in there")

Current Conditions or JOTM could be a very popular thread, no? Just time date it, let us know where you skied, and maybe ability? Just thinking out loud. . . . . .thanks for all your input. . . . . . . .

12-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Uhhmmmmm....

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewforum.php?f=2

:idea:

ski_resort_observer
12-31-2006, 01:24 PM
When I saw several people had posted comments about the conditions yesterday I almost suggested it would be great if they would do a trip report, even if it's just for a day.

I didn't ski today but I talked to several who had and everyone commented it was better than even yesterday as the warmer temps softened some of the hard spots and we have opened alot of terrain up due to the gift from mother nature yesterday.

Mike451
12-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Looks like they have opened up a fair ammount of terrain after this latest snow event, thinks can't be to far from a dump or two from opening up completly 8) Lets just hope that this mild weather in the forcast up through the middle quarter of January doesn't get the best of things.....

Lostone
01-01-2007, 09:56 AM
1) Most of the terrain they opened was natural snow with limited cover. It had to do with the recent snow and the little recent snows we've had in the last week or so. Most had Thin Cover & Experts Only signs. The traverse had a rope gate, so you had to be very aware they were warning you.

B) To the original post, I have a lot of trouble getting off the mountain and straight onto my computer. First, I'll break, if I don't do a considerable amount of stretching. :shock: Second, I just can't spend all my time, splitting it on the mountain and the computer. :roll: ( I think the last is more to me, than to you. :wink: )

Still, it is a good thing, tho as Greg pointed out, probably better in the Trip Reports section.
( I'd be happy to move this thread there, if you wish. )

III) My "Off The Mountain Yesterday report :roll: :lol: can be found here. (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?p=5618#5618)

8)