PDA

View Full Version : NWS forecast for Friday night 12/29

castlerock
12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Are we looking at little surprise here?

..SHARPENING OF
UPPER TROUGH WILL INCREASE THE DYNAMIC SUPPORT OVER THE AREA AND
FEEL ACCUMULATING SNOWS WILL OCCUR OVER MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA
BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY DURING THE MORNING HOURS.
GIVEN THE WEST TO NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT...MOVEMENT OF THE
PRECIPITATION WILL FAVOR THE HIGHEST TOTALS OVER NORTHERN NEW YORK
AND SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OVER THE NORTHEAST
KINGDOM. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATER IN
THE DAY AND BE CONFINED TO THE MOUNTAINS THROUGH MIDNIGHT SATURDAY
NIGHT. PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WILL GENERALLY BE A TENTH TO A QUARTER
INCH AND THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A GENERAL 1-3 INCHES OF SNOW OVER
NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VERMONT AND THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY OF NEW
YORK. LOOKING AT 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW OVER THE NORTHERN
ADIRONDACKS AND PARTS OF SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT.

from the discussion.......

ski_resort_observer
12-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the post, last I heard we might get some flurries. Even the 1-3" would be sweet. Amazing how localized the forecast is. Glad the wife decided to drive up from Maine tonight instead of tomorrow.

tymoguls
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Radar seems to show some light flurries that should be showing up in the next hour or so. Can anybody confirm?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=CXX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

BushMogulMaster
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Are we looking at little surprise here?

..SHARPENING OF
UPPER TROUGH WILL INCREASE THE DYNAMIC SUPPORT OVER THE AREA AND
FEEL ACCUMULATING SNOWS WILL OCCUR OVER MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA
BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY DURING THE MORNING HOURS.
GIVEN THE WEST TO NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT...MOVEMENT OF THE
PRECIPITATION WILL FAVOR THE HIGHEST TOTALS OVER NORTHERN NEW YORK
AND SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OVER THE NORTHEAST
KINGDOM. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATER IN
THE DAY AND BE CONFINED TO THE MOUNTAINS THROUGH MIDNIGHT SATURDAY
NIGHT. PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WILL GENERALLY BE A TENTH TO A QUARTER
INCH AND THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A GENERAL 1-3 INCHES OF SNOW OVER
NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VERMONT AND THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY OF NEW
YORK. LOOKING AT 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW OVER THE NORTHERN
ADIRONDACKS AND PARTS OF SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT.

from the discussion.......

I love surprises! :lol:

Not snowing yet at base of ME, but looks like it's on the way.

freeheel_skier
12-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Looks like the precip may favor the daks instead of us....but you never know :?

Mike451
12-30-2006, 03:50 AM
from the looks of the radar, it is doing something across New England.......

ski_resort_observer
12-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Looks like the forecast hit it right on the button. Have an 1" at my place in the valley which could equate to 2"-4" on the hill. :D

noski
12-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I just got in from 90 minutes of shoveling. All I had done was covered again. Total at 1800' 6" and still snowing.

atkinson
12-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Word from those that were there ... knee deep on Spillsville, Ripcord and Paradise. Go get it!

John

castlerock
12-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Word from those that were there ... knee deep on Spillsville, Ripcord and Paradise. Go get it!

John

got it.......
Give that forecaster a raise.

Strat
12-30-2006, 05:10 PM

John
Well, by this point it's more like choppy moguls with scrubby grass in between them with some little pow shots here and there (at least the parts viewable from the lift), but I'd assume it's still pretty darn nice.

BushMogulMaster
12-30-2006, 05:13 PM
It was great today! Finally a real powder day :D .

Total accumulation at base of ME 5-6", total accumulation at summit 8-10+". There were some pockets on Exterminator where powder had drifted and it was literaly knee deep and then some.

The powder bumps on Cruiser were INCREDIBLE! Definitely a good day, aside from the boiler-plate surface under the powder on Exterm and FIS. Bravo was fun!

Looks like Black Diamond for tomorrow, and hopefully the rest of Bravo and Upper Lookin Good. Maybe something else on lower mountain... Encore and Which Way??? We'll have to wait and see. Guns are a blastin' on Northstar, so ropes should be pulled there within a day or two. Probably not tomorrow since they won't be able to groom the fresh man-made snow and it's a "Green Circle" trail. But one just never knows!

The Bush trail count could be 50+ for tomorrow. Look out, Killington, here we come!!! :wink:

freeheel_skier
12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
FIS & Looking Good were AWESOME today! I love it when it snows :D

shadyjay
12-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Truly was a great day out there - best runs I thought were Rim Run (from Summit o'pass, down) and Lookin' Good (best runs I went on at least, I don't do the double blacks). Rider's right on both trails had the best pow. Was also very surprised that it wasn't a mob-scene and there was hardly any wait for the Summit. The NR must've taken some of the pressure off. Thought about going tomorrow but I expect a definite mobscene. Worst part of the day was the clusterf*#@ (aka Mainstream) and the fact that my goggles were fogging up so i went naked eyelids most of the day, but south on Straight Shot was smooth sailing. What a freakin' awesome day. It's about time!!!

-Jay

BushMogulMaster
12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
but south on Straight Shot was smooth sailing.

Actually, if you want to get picky, Straight Shot faces North East :lol: . Just pickin on ya :wink:

You're right... Rim Run and Lookin' Good were nice and soft under the feet, and lift lines were practically non existent, despite the fact that there were nearly 2000 people there! They all decided to hang out on Cruiser :x . I'm not sure that tomorrow will be any worse than today. Probably about the same; I'm not certain, though.