PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Peak Parking Lot Issues

Strat
12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
This needed its own thread. The parking lot scene at South is really horrendous. I'm talking about the main parking area just east of Clay Brook. The fact that this is paved now is excellent, but the signage in this area is completely inadequate. When all of the rows are near full, the opening between the rows is at maximum one car-width wide. Because there are no one-way signs through these rows, many drivers, upon backing out of a spot or finding that there are no spots, are trying to exit the rows by driving back towards the entrance road, instead of out towards the exit road. Obviously this isn't going to be a problem for much of the season, but as of right now, this is really an issue. Not to be prejudiced towards the visitors to our area, but I am sick of having to back out of a row, back into the heavily-traveled entrance road, when a giant SUV from Rhode Island is coming at me head on. One-way signage must be implemented.

slaw
01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
My giant SUV has NY plates and I use the valet! :D

sugarboarder
01-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Some people (more all the time) drive the same way they ski and the same way they walk around the lodge...they're going to crash into you, or something, at some point. :evil:

smootharc
01-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Some people (more all the time) drive the same way they ski and the same way they walk around the lodge...they're going to crash into you, or something, at some point. :evil:

....don't even get me going on people who gesticulate wildly with ski poles in their hands, pointy tips flying every which way. We had DRILLED into us way back when that you keep your pole tips DOWN at all times. And that was just pole tips. The Skier Responsibility Code.....well, they had written and on slope testing for that. Most kids today think the SRC is probably keeping extra i-Pod batteries in your jacket.

Damn, I'm getting old and crusty..... :lol:

Strat
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM

....don't even get me going on people who gesticulate wildly with ski poles in their hands, pointy tips flying every which way. We had DRILLED into us way back when that you keep your pole tips DOWN at all times. And that was just pole tips. The Skier Responsibility Code.....well, they had written and on slope testing for that. Most kids today think the SRC is probably keeping extra i-Pod batteries in your jacket.

Not to be an insolent kid, but iPods run on a rechargeable, unremovable internal battery...

Just sayin' :lol:

8)

smootharc
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Not to be an insolent kid, but iPods run on a rechargeable, unremovable internal battery...

Just sayin' :lol:

8)

Well, that didn't take long....now did it ? Scratch one for insolent kids ! Well done. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I helped out in the parking lot on Friday morning. Yes, the signage definately needs some rethinking, no doubt about it.

My take on this problem is this. With the new base developement the parking lot thing is a whole new bag this year. When we finally got busy alot of bugs showed their ugly faces. Now that they are known I am confident that changes will be made. The intersection of the drop-off parking line, the Claybrook/Valet driveway and the people coming out of the kids program drop off area was at times, a mess. I do know that when the Family Services Building gets built some of that will go away but for this season better signage would help alot.

Tin Woodsman
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion - anyone notice that about 1/3 of the spaces in the upper lot are now gone? The entire area to the north of the in-road is dirt and mostly blocked off by large boulders, as opposed to the spiffy paved area to the south. I know this is intended to be the location of future real estate/base area development, but why not let people park there until those structures arrive in 3-5 years time?

win
01-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Tin, you are wrong about this. This is called the helicopter lot and it was open. We fill the paved lot first and then open it. (It is not paved and environmentally can only be used when ground is frozen) Fact: There is more parking now at Lincoln Peak than in the past. I also do not agree with the first comment. The parking lot is actually flowing very well from all accounts and the signage is now up.

Tin Woodsman
01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Tin, you are wrong about this. This is called the helicopter lot and it was open. We fill the paved lot first and then open it. (It is not paved and environmentally can only be used when ground is frozen) Fact: There is more parking now at Lincoln Peak than in the past. I also do not agree with the first comment. The parking lot is actually flowing very well from all accounts and the signage is now up.

Glad to be wrong on this. I hadn't seen any cars in it when I bothered to look, but that was in less busy times.

Count me guilty as one of the parking lot offenders. I went the wrong way (IIRC, the main in-road was two ways in years past, no?) and my wife, as usual, pointed out my folly.

Mtnlady
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I see myself waving drivers back the right way on the one-way 'In' Road, a caricature for sure,
but at least I was not waving ski poles.. 8)

The heli lot was full each day after it was plowed and opened for use. We use that lot before we
move below Village Drive to lots D & E.

You should also know that the Jitney will take you to the top of Gate House Lane - even picking
up at the usual drop-off area of the Interim Village to spare those who wish, the trek up the
stairs. Jitneys run on weekends and holidays.

Just to paint the picture, all cars come into the lot at the 'In' Rd off Village Dr, either going directly to park (catch the Jitney when running) or to the 10-min Unload Zone or to the Children's Program
Drop Off area or to Valet Park America stationed at Clay Brook for anyone to use. All cars travel one-way up the In Rd, through the top of the lot or one of its tiers moving South, to the Out Rd one way down to the 4-corners of Access Rd/Village Dr/Inferno Rd.

The only vehicles up Gate House Lane - formerly the Ambulance Rd - are the ambulance, facilities' truck for trash pick-up, deliveries going to Clay Brook, and residents going to underground parking.
This maintains turn-around space at the top by the Gate House Plaze for the Jitney to reverse its loop.

We know there are missing signs. They are on the punch list...

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
In case anyone doesn't know.....the Jitney is the Vermont version of a parking lot shuttle. A pick-up with a trailer that's like a wagon with bench seats. I used it both days from 22-acre to Gatehouse and back. If your in either D or E lots definately worth using.

Strat
01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I see myself waving drivers back the right way on the one-way 'In' Road, a caricature for sure,
but at least I was not waving ski poles.. 8)

The heli lot was full each day after it was plowed and opened for use. We use that lot before we
move below Village Drive to lots D & E.

You should also know that the Jitney will take you to the top of Gate House Lane - even picking
up at the usual drop-off area of the Interim Village to spare those who wish, the trek up the
stairs. Jitneys run on weekends and holidays.

Just to paint the picture, all cars come into the lot at the 'In' Rd off Village Dr, either going directly to park (catch the Jitney when running) or to the 10-min Unload Zone or to the Children's Program
Drop Off area or to Valet Park America stationed at Clay Brook for anyone to use. All cars travel one-way up the In Rd, through the top of the lot or one of its tiers moving South, to the Out Rd one way down to the 4-corners of Access Rd/Village Dr/Inferno Rd.

The only vehicles up Gate House Lane - formerly the Ambulance Rd - are the ambulance, facilities' truck for trash pick-up, deliveries going to Clay Brook, and residents going to underground parking.
This maintains turn-around space at the top by the Gate House Plaze for the Jitney to reverse its loop.

We know there are missing signs. They are on the punch list...
Maybe I should re-explain in these terms... maybe horrendous was too strong a word as well, but I was rather disgruntled at the time.
What happened to me, and many others I'm sure, is that as I turned left from the In Road into the lower tiers of the lot, I encountered traffic coming at me head-on. It just seems to me that traffic in this direction should not be allowed (again, that's through the tiers back to the In Road, not to the Out Road), because these tiers simply aren't wide enough, at least when completely parked up. This is only the lower tiers though, the top tier (the row in which cars are parked facing into the 10-minute row) is easily wide enough for two lanes of traffic to pass. Am I completely wrong and just was scared by the sight of a giant SUV coming at me head-on? Are the rows in fact wide enough for two cars to pass? Even if they are, does it make sense for cars to exit the tiers back into the In Road? It seems that if they'd like to re-enter the In Road, they could just as easily pull onto the Out Road, make a left at the stop sign, and re-enter the lot.

Lostone
01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Nobody is supposed to pull back onto the In Road.

Unfortunately, people in cars are sometimes not good people.

I got dirty looks from a woman in an SUV from New Jersey, because, when she wouldn't stop, while I was standing there, holding my hand up, so I jumped in front of her and yelled for her to stop.

Not sure if she was as embarassed as she should have been as the ambulance for which I was stopping her, pulled past.

I feel that people and rules are just distractions to people who are driving. :roll:

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Obviously from the posts above, it appears that only people driving SUV's are doing all these bad things. Thank god I drive a Subie Outback or a full size pick-up. :wink: :lol:

Plowboy
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been thru with the plow truck. Gota love that big yellow bumper on the front. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?

SRO your truck is bigger than fullsize.

ski_resort_observer
01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I've been thru with the plow truck. Gota love that big yellow bumper on the front. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?

SRO your truck is bigger than fullsize.

Hey Plow, was thinking about you.....hopefully you finally got everyone buffed out. Was that you plowing Mad Mountain Tavern last Sat about 12:30ish?

Plowboy
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
That was me. 8) They were all buffed out until yesterday morning. :lol: Toasted the sander 50 ft into the first account. :roll:

ski_resort_observer
01-03-2007, 01:26 AM
That was me. 8) They were all buffed out until yesterday morning. :lol: Toasted the sander 50 ft into the first account. :roll:

Dang...that sucks...my brother-in-law back in Maine has barely seen a flake so far this season, he has 6 trucks all lined up pretty in his yard, 3 with sanders, maybe he could lend you one... :wink: Nothing slicks up a driveway or parking lot like alittle rain on top of some hardpack.

I thought about stopping to say hello but you looked kinda busy.

skiladi
01-03-2007, 08:47 AM
In case anyone doesn't know.....the Jitney is the Vermont version of a parking lot shuttle. A pick-up with a trailer that's like a wagon with bench seats. I used it both days from 22-acre to Gatehouse and back. If your in either D or E lots definately worth using.

The first time I heard the term Jitney I was in Mexico (and not Mexico,Maine). ; }

Yard Sale
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Sorry, that was me in the SUV from RI. It's a big banana yellow Hummer with Hello Kitty stickers all over it. Personalized Plate reads " Me 1ST" Anyway, sure I was going the wrong way, but I was Backing up the whole time. I thought that was cool. Besides, I was too busy sipping on my latte to be considerate. Just a crazy flat lander form beyond the valley. It won't happen again.

smootharc
01-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry, that was me in the SUV from RI. It's a big banana yellow Hummer with Hello Kitty stickers all over it. Personalized Plate reads " Me 1ST" Anyway, sure I was going the wrong way, but I was Backing up the whole time. I thought that was cool. Besides, I was too busy sipping on my latte to be considerate. Just a crazy flat lander form beyond the valley. It won't happen again.

...on yakking your cell phone ? If not, you should have been..... :lol:

greenmtnboy
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I think the parking works very well. I heard the lower lots worked exceptionally well also. But I also arrive early enough to get great parking spots. The only really issue with the asphalt is water shed and icing. I noticed leaving one day, that melt sheeting down the lot was beginning to freeze. Fortunetly, nobody in my group fell.

noski
01-03-2007, 11:31 AM

...on yakking your cell phone ? If not, you should have been..... :lol:

Would this guy also be wearing his ski boots while he was driving?

freeheel_skier
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
You mean ya can't drive in Tele-Boots? :P

sasquatch
01-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Somebody ran over my foot...like it was sticking out or something.