PDA

View Full Version : WET snow

BushMogulMaster
12-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I just came off the hill (9:15 AM Tuesday). Went out for a couple of early morning runs. It was pretty rough. There was 4-5" of VERY heavy/wet snow at mid mountain ME with a little glaze over top :evil: . Very hard on the legs, but a good workout if that's what you're looking for. Once it skis in, though, it could be the makings of some great bumps. Also, it will provide a good base for the bare trails and will help to eat away and resurface the icy areas. So... even though it's crappy for skiing right now, I believe it will be very helpful for the snow base overall. I think by noon it will all be skied in enough to be fun.

Now, I'm hoping the NWS forecast of an additional 3-5+ during the day is accurate, and I hope it's a little bit fluffier! With a good, packed, wet base and some powder on top, I think we'll be headed in the right direction for some good skiing and some more trail openings soon. :D :D

bill-now
12-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Well I can confirm what BMM wrote, the snow at LP was wet and heavy but at this point any snow is better than none. My son and I did six runs and, decided to go in for a while and dry our clothes. (Note to myself; when it is raining, it is a good idea to wear waterproof outerwear).

Treeskier
12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I also skied today. It was crusty over4-5 inches of heavy snow. By mid day it had rained snowed hailed and groppled, But the trails skied in nicely. Patrol did boot pack Brovo, hoping that if we get 5 more inches over night it should be able to be open tomorrow. They boot packed Spillsville Saturday. Good job.

win
12-26-2006, 03:51 PM
I was the first down Jester this morning and fortunately John Hammond has come up in a snowmobile earlier so I could ski in those tracks when my legs started to burn. However, a couple of hours later both Jester and Organgrinder were skiing really nicely and snow was falling at the summit when I took the last run around noon. I was told by Hardy that ME was skiing well and he had a great run down Exterminator. Tonight we are going to groom both Jester and Organgrinder and if we get a little natural on top of them they could be sweet in the am. That is where I am planning to be first thing! A few more inches and Spills could open as well as the top of Bravo. The temperatures are once again not great for snowmaking but we are concentrating on Lower Jester and Cruiser, Mainstream and Straight shot. Colder temperatures are coming in tomorrow night, so we are going to move the focus and LP to the Gate House area and try to get a couple of those trail open by the weekend.

While we did not get more than 5" last night it is a good base that we can build on if we continue to get more snow showers over the next few days as is forecasted.

Lostone
12-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I can add my agreement that the skiing was veddy veddy good today. :)

My plan was to wait for the changeover and just ski in the snow. Around 12:30, I realized I was running out of time, and htat no matter when the chaneover came, they were stil going to close the lifts at 4:00.

So I got out and took a few runs.

The bad news was that it did either rain, or mist, the whole time. teh good news is it didn't rain hard, at all. Now, if we can only get that errant changeover snow to show up... :roll:

Strat
12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
North was... rough later....
I was out 2-3:15, didn't actually go to Summit, there was actually a considerable line and there were a few wind gusts coming up GMX so we figured it wasn't really worth it... was pretty miserable though in the rain and disgustingness... the snow quality wasn't terrible, that really wet heavy slow stuff, but the packed down parts were okay... glad I went out I guess, better than sitting at home, but damn soggy...