PDA

View Full Version : Accumulation...

BushMogulMaster
12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
FYI: as of 7:30PM Tuesday, accumulation at the base of Mount Ellen is about 4-5" and summit accumulation is 8-10". Guns are still blastin away, and tonight will be great for blowing snow. We should see some more terrain opening in the next couple of days.

I offer a toast to the first decent snowfall of the ski season! :D

*Edited to specify Mt Ellen

CapeSkiGuy
12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Thank heavens...
It's about time!
See y'all Friday.

Tin Woodsman
12-19-2006, 10:50 PM
FYI: as of 7:30PM Tuesday, accumulation at the base of Mount Ellen is about 4-5" and summit accumulation is 8-10". Guns are still blastin away, and tonight will be great for blowing snow. We should see some more terrain opening in the next couple of days.

I offer a toast to the first decent snowfall of the ski season! :D

*Edited to specify Mt Ellen

That's GREAT news. As usual, you'd be hard pressed to find this out just by looking at the website. Last update was 12:45 PM with 1" reported and no indication of what was going on at the mountain. At least there was a time stamp, which is a good step. That said, the main competitors to the North both updated at 4:00 and provided context that it was still snowing with more accumulation expected. Long way to go here.

Treeskier
12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
http://images.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/Radar/bml.gif

See the Blue spot on top of the Valley....Lets hope it stays there till May

Doing my snow dance....But just stay COLD!

BushMogulMaster
12-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Oh look, everyone..... they updated the snow report on the website. Now it says 2". :evil: :x :evil: :x

I have just about had it with the lack of accurate information on the website. Don't they realize that many customers base their decisions on the conditions that they see reported on the website? I'm not saying to exaggerate like our friends to the north and south, but rather to simply tell the ACCURATE truth. There was at LEAST a solid 7-8" at Mt. Ellen summit. I don't know what fell at Lincoln Peak. But regardless, there is NO excuse for this. There have been countless threads and posts on this board alone about the short-comings of the website, and we only represent a very small portion of the market. Imagine how many possible customers are fed this misinformation every time it snows (not to mention all of the other problems on the website); and unlike some of us, most of them aren't here to check for themselves... they base their entire decision upon the reports they see online. If you wonder why people aren't coming to ski... it's because of that. I'm all for conservative reports to keep from being like the Killingtons and Strattons of the world, which often give reports of several inches more than they really got. But for heaven's sake... our report says we got 6 sinches LESS than what we got. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And by the way (I think this has been mentioned before), it's not the IT or web staff's fault. They can only post the information that they are given. Therefore, the problem lies somewhere beyond the tech department, and whoever is responsible for giving them their information needs to step it up a little bit, or hire some extra help to get accurate information to where it needs to go.

Okay, I'm finished ranting. But I won't be satisfied until it's fixed, and I'm not sure if that will happen. :x

Back to happy thoughts, like SNOW!!! :D Can't wait to make some turns this afternoon!

Lostone
12-20-2006, 08:15 AM
There was at LEAST a solid 7-8"

Where did this info come from?

The reason I ask, is I was asked how much was there, and I said I doubted 2". I left the mountain around 2:30, and it was snowing very hard by the time I got out of the lodge, but I'm not sure there was much on my car.

There was a lot on the top of Black Diamond, but I didn't find that much more on any of the trails. No complaints with what was there, but I wanted more. I'm SURE I'd have noticed 6", and would have only left when they closed the chair.

Strat
12-20-2006, 08:18 AM
http://www.sugarbush.com/snowandtrails/snowreport.asp

Five, six!

BushMogulMaster
12-20-2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.sugarbush.com/snowandtrails/snowreport.asp

Five, six!

Okay... that's better. I'm not so ticked anymore! :)

It came from someone who was there around 5:00.

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
There was at LEAST a solid 7-8"

The reason I ask, is I was asked how much was there, and I said I doubted 2". I left the mountain around 2:30, and it was snowing very hard by the time I got out of the lodge, but I'm not sure there was much on my car.

There was a lot on the top of Black Diamond, but I didn't find that much more on any of the trails. No complaints with what was there, but I wanted more. I'm SURE I'd have noticed 6", and would have only left when they closed the chair.

With all due respect, Lostone, there were some rpetty heavy squalls that rolled through in the late afternoon/early evening according to radar, so the higher totals are absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Glad to see the website was updated from this morning's 2-3" estimate.

Lostone
12-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Remember that nobody will complain about coming up for a report of 3" and finding 6", but a report of 6" with only 3" will tell the few that believe mountain snow reports that this is another that lies. :roll: I think conservative reports make better sense, for the long term.

Also remember that if they way there is 3" when there is 6", you still get to ski in what ever is there. They won't take 3" because it wasn't on their report. :wink:

I know what I saw when I was on the trails, but I'll be happy if I see that much. 8)

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2006, 09:05 AM
The problem is that for people who haven't found this site, the website is one of the only avenues they have to find out what's going on at the hill. I think you're just as likely to have people not come up at all as you are to positively surprise them. The goal is not about expectation mgmt per se, it's about accuracy.

BushMogulMaster
12-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Remember that nobody will complain about coming up for a report of 3" and finding 6", but a report of 6" with only 3" will tell the few that believe mountain snow reports that this is another that lies. :roll: I think conservative reports make better sense, for the long term.

This is true... but:

The problem is that for people who haven't found this site, the website is one of the only avenues they have to find out what's going on at the hill. I think you're just as likely to have people not come up at all as you are to positively surprise them. The goal is not about expectation mgmt per se, it's about accuracy.

this is true too.

I don't want lies at all. I don't want the site to say we got 12" when we only got 9", for example. But it should be accurate... not too high, not too low. Just accurate. 8)

beelze
12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
safe to say they groomed most of it last night? (sacriledge i know but cant have
the stuff blowing away either at this point!)

Plowboy
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report :cry: .

ski_resort_observer
12-20-2006, 09:55 AM
No new snow reported to snocountry.com
http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient/srlist.php?state=VT&from=effectsLink

BushMogulMaster
12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
safe to say they groomed most of it last night? (sacriledge i know but cant have
the stuff blowing away either at this point!)

Pretty much everything except FIS and Exterm at Mt. Ellen

Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report.

It's a little bit ridiculous, isn't it? They really should update it several times per day. Once before 6:00, then an 8 or 9 update, a noon update, a mid afternoon update, and an evening update. Each update should only take about 5 minutes. That means, based on my suggestion, 25 minutes total out of one day. Come on... can't someone spare 25 minutes to keep customers happy? Of course, gathering the necessary information to make the update would take some more time. But there is generally someone on the mountain by 6:00am, there are definitely people on the hil from 8 till after 5, and there are generally snowmakers or groomers on the hill at night. There could be designated personnel each day to make a report at a certain time. In this scenario, no further employees are required, and the data can be gathered while the aforementioned employees are simply doing their jobs. Easy fix. Accurate reports. Everyone's happy. No prob. 8)

No new snow reported to snocountry.com
http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient/srlist.php?state=VT&from=effectsLink

That's not good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that type of thing falls under the marketing umbrella???

freeheel_skier
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
My father called me this am and said that he checked the snophone and they were reporting 3" of new snow? Must have called the snowphone before 9:30. I told him I was looking @ 5" in my yard. I'll have to get out my measuring stick :lol:

12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Nice to hear that we finally have some minor cover that could turn into a base.
To: Mother Nature
Message: Just a few more minor snowfalls before next week would be appreciated.

I am probably harping on this idea a little too much but.....
It certainly would be more convenient (and accurate) to "see" the current conditions once those web cams are hooked up on the peak!
Ahh..... maybe in the near future....

Praying for colder temps and deeper white stuff.

Insider
12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
0530- Snow Reporter gathers snowfall totals from available on-hill personnel; ie, if a groomer is near the summit, get his measurement. If no personnel are up high, use the base read behind the Valley House.

0730-0745 (Weekends) 0830-0845 (Weekdays)- Patrol reports new-snow depths from mid and summit stations. A patroler has been scheduled to begin summit measurements by 0630. This will start soon.

This morning at 0600 two inches was measured outside of the VH. At 0728, snowmaking personnel called in four inches from near the LP mid station. At 0902, Patrol radioed in with 5 to 6 inches.

With regards to what other mountains report, Sugarbush only reports what falls on its mountains.

The time stamp on the website: It reflects the time of the last update. For example, if you had looked at it this morning around 0700, you would have seen the "6:20 AM" stamp. The current stamp of "9:25 AM" is still there because nothing has changed since 9:25 AM; 5 to 6 inches of snow still fell, the lifts are still spinning and there has been no adjustment to the ticket prices.

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report :cry: .

I don't know about the weather forecast (which should be updated) but the snow report was updated at around 6:25 this morning and again at 9:25, so I can't fault them for keeping it current. They do a great job of getting up at the crack of dawn (before dawn, really), my complaints are around the lack of updates and the accuracy of information therein. Looks like we're starting to get more frequent updates, which is nice.

Edit: I see others covered my point better than I could

win
12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Wish we had that much. 5" is what we measured up top! Maybe there was a stash blown in that measured 8-10" but that is not what fell and what we would report. Next time!!!!!!! We should have gotten that info out earlier in the morning once we have some people on the mountain. It will get more timely.

BushMogulMaster
12-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Wish we had that much. 5" is what we measured up top! Maybe there was a stash blown in that measured 8-10" but that is not what fell and what we would report. Next time!!!!!!! We should have gotten that info out earlier in the morning once we have some people on the mountain. It will get more timely.

Thanks for the report, Win.

I was just up on Mt Ellen, and in the wind-protected areas I found approximately 6-7" (not the 8-10 I mentioned earlier, but more than 5). A lot of what fell was blown around last night and today. But, there's no sense in arguing over the amount of snow. All that matters is that we finally got some! :D Yes... earlier reports would be nice.......

Looks good for T2B at Mt Ellen by Friday It will be quite a relief not having to download, and having NRX open will REALLY help with lift lines at Summit. Can't wait! 8)

Lostone
12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, I would have liked 6-7" but the most I saw was at the left of Lower Elbow, where there was less than 4". There were pockets on Exterminator that had more, but there were ice bumps right next to them with 0". :shock:

I think what I'm saying is that where you measure makes a large difference in what measurement you give. I would count it as 4", because that is what I found to ski in. And most of what I skied in was much less, as it had been groomed in. And I think that was great, as there was snow on most of most of the trails.

I love powder skiing, but I'd have hated to have a few good powder runs and then just scrape across the ice. And Ithought the skiing was quite good, today. I was in total shock when I saw the line on Summit, on a Wednesday! :shock: On the good side, the lifties saw the need for the singles' line and set it up. :wink:

And I, also, am hoping for t-2-b at both mountains, with as much extra as we can get. 8)

Abe Froman
12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
What is a couple inches amongst friends? :oops: IT SNOWED! :D

Plowboy
12-20-2006, 11:15 PM
:lol: :lol:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/fa06_1.jpg

BushMogulMaster
12-21-2006, 08:00 AM
What is a couple inches amongst friends? IT SNOWED!

Agreed! :D

:lol: :lol:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/fa06_1.jpg

Words can't describe the feelings of jealousy...........

freeheel_skier
12-21-2006, 08:31 AM
That's funny.... :lol: I had a dream last night that I had to climb out my 2nd floor window to shovel my walk way! :shock:

BushMogulMaster
12-21-2006, 09:49 AM
That's funny.... :lol: I had a dream last night that I had to climb out my 2nd floor window to shovel my walk way! :shock:

I wish!

smootharc
12-21-2006, 02:51 PM
IMHO there was about 4-5 on top half of Mtn. and about 2.5" at bottom.

Over at our place at South, my deck rails had about 1.5".

FWIW.

ski_resort_observer
12-21-2006, 06:01 PM
They were making snow most of the day on Jester and maybe part of snowball. I was surprised since it seemed kinda warm om the afternoon.

Tin Woodsman
12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
They were making snow most of the day on Jester and maybe part of snowball. I was surprised since it seemed kinda warm om the afternoon.

Oh rearry?

Wouldn't know it from the lift/trail report on the website (re: Snowball). Also, it's a little confusing in that they say Cruiser will be open tomorrow but yet the GMX will be used for downloading. Wouldn't the opening of Cruiser obviate the need for downloading on GMX?

Help us Obi-Win, you're our only hope!

freeheel_skier
12-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Help us Obi-Win, you're our only hope!

Tin,
Too Funny! :lol:

Lostone
12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Haven't heard anything about plans, but having Cruiser open could enable Northridge to take some of the pressure off the Summit lift.

Also, I wasn't able to see, even the Valley House Traverse, but there were guns in that direction off Super Bravo. They could be thinking toward Murphy's, too. But they still would have a lot of work for either. Saw no guns on the lower left side.

But it was cool, on the mountain, today. 8)

win
12-21-2006, 10:50 PM
We plan to have top to bottom at ME if things work out tonight. But the skiing down will be advanced or expert since it will not be groomed and thin, so we will be offering a download option on GMX and hoping a lot will take this option. I do not think we will run Northridge because we do not want to encourage a lot of traffic down Cruiser so we can keep it for the weekend, if we get rain on Saturday. The upper mountain has the base depth to handle a lot of traffic; the lower mountain does not. I am worried about Saturday's forecast and hoping that we do not get a lot of rain which could hurt the bottom of the mountains. The pattern is still forming so we could get a pleasant or an unpleasant surprise.

We have been making on Jester - not Snowball - and it will be open tomorrow. It will not be groomed so we can ski it in for a day. I estimate that we will have 19 trails open tomorrow. We have had a 15-16 degree difference between the base areas and the summits so the snowmaking efficiencies at the base areas have been marginal. We are hoping that the temperatures will fall into the low 20's at the base areas tonight so that we can bring on our full capacities and get some beginner terrain open. $5.50 day is tomorrow so I would expect quite a few early arrivals. The pick of the day will likely be early runs and then some beers at the Castle Rock Pub or Timbers.

HowieT2
12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
The pattern is still forming so we could get a pleasant or an unpleasant surprise.

Given my absolute desperation for some winter, I have been following every morsel of meteorological predictions, and haven't seen any mention of a possible "pleasant surprise". Is there some science behind this or are you and the mountain crew holding a seance (sp?) tonight and praying.

noski
12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Howie- think "Caddyshack"....nnnneh-neh-neh-neh-neh-neh-neh- Keep your weather eye to 12/26-12/27 and repeat after me- "go-east, low pressure.....go-east......nnnnneh-neh-neh-neh-neh...."

freeheel_skier
12-22-2006, 08:57 AM
"Noonan! Miss it! Noonan!" :lol:

I love that movie!

Tin Woodsman
12-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey Mother Nature...... Noonan!!!

Plowboy
12-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Nananananana, bopapapapapa... Be the ball Danny

noski
12-22-2006, 09:16 AM
You know, if this works....we will be heroes. nnnneh-neh-neh-neh-neh....

smootharc
12-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Carl Spackler (Bill Murray) as he polishes golf balls.

"Oh Mrs. Crane, you're a little monkey woman. Yeah, you're lean, mean, and I bet you're not too far in between, are ya ? How'd you like to wrap your spikes...."

And another.....

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

>>>>>>

Chevy Chase as Ty Webb:

"I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

>>>>>>

Sandy: Carl I want you to kill all the gophers on the golf course

Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key.

Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool. Gophers. The little brown, furry rodents.

Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

>>>>>

Ty Webb: Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Danny.

Danny Noonan: It's hard when you're talking like that.

>>>>>

I guess PC was about 10 years from the radar screen in 1980. Ah, the good old days....

HowieT2
12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm glad to see everyone is in holiday mode, despite the temperatures outside.

While we're on the subject- Hey Wang-don't tell 'em you're jewish!

freeheel_skier
12-22-2006, 02:59 PM
I think Al Czervik (Dangerfield) had some of the best "one liners" in that movie.....try counting just the dining room scene alone :lol:

smootharc
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
and Caddyshack isn't just a movie, it's a playbook for life itself. Wait till I tell my wife.... :D