PDA

View Full Version : Skiing, last weekend 12-9/10

castlerock
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!

I don't know Win, I kind of liked the water Ice on Grinder. Sort of separated the strong from the weak kind of thing...I was skiing with a couple friends. I went down on the first run, friend #2 went down on the second run and friend#3 went down on run #3....You figure they would have learned...

Tin Woodsman
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM
What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!

I don't know Win, I kind of liked the water Ice on Grinder. Sort of separated the strong from the weak kind of thing...I was skiing with a couple friends. I went down on the first run, friend #2 went down on the second run and friend#3 went down on run #3....You figure they would have learned...

You sir, are a masochist. That was one of the nastier spots of ice I've ever encountered. Literally, ice skates would have been a more appropriate tool for that section.

greenmtnboy
12-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Win said "What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!"

I happened to be on the grinder and skied it a number of times. None of the lift attendants told myself or the group I skied with that there was a problem with ice on the trail. We found out the hard way. Oh yes, point 'em down and you can go right over it!!!! (sometimes!)

win
12-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I will have a chat will my team about that, greenmtnboy. I did check with a few guests and they told me they had been warned, so I appreciate your feedback.

Let me clarify the 80. That is 80 seats for a meal. Clearly more than get in for apres ski!

Treeskier
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Greenmtboy/Win I was one of the first and I did get warned. Do like the managment responce to the ice. What about the ice on top of Exterminator?

freeheel_skier
12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
What about the ice on top of Exterminator?

Ice? I thought E skied nice. Remember this is a poor Dec. for the frozen fluffy precip. There was some ice at the top...but there is always ice at top. I still thought is skied very nice. I know this is early in the season, but I don't expect the lifties to give me a synopsis of the trail conditions before they hand me my chair. Put a warning on the info board or something. Maybe somthing @ the beginning of the trail? :?

gratefulskier
12-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I was also warned about the ice when I got on the Heaven's Gate chair with the kids I teach.

On Saturday, we had no issues getting through that area, but Sunday afternoon was a bit more challenging for the group.

Last year, I encountered an entire run just like that stretch at Beaver Creek. Even with sharp edges, there was no apparently safe way down. I ended up sidestepping through trees on the side of the slope for part of the way. Beaver Creek had no warnings of any kind for that run.

GS

Lostone
12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Split skiing posts from lodge posts.

Please continue skiing conditions thread, here.

Thanx,

Lostone 8)

walks
12-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Friend # 3 never learns. Just keeps going. Had a huge spot of black and blue on hip two days later.