PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see changed on the SB web site?

Nick Danger
12-10-2006, 06:56 AM
If you could get one change done to the Sugarbush web site, what would it be?

I would like to see, on the trail report, instead of a simple checkmark for "Groomed", the date of last grooming. As someone who primarily skis weekends and holidays, I don't check the ski report every day. Knowledge of last grooming would be very useful when deciding where to ski with family and friends. Many of our best trails can be a completely different experience when recently groomed.

Would anyone else like this?

freeheel_skier
12-10-2006, 03:48 PM
If you could get one change done to the Sugarbush web site, what would it be?

I would like to see, on the trail report, instead of a simple checkmark for "Groomed", the date of last grooming. As someone who primarily skis weekends and holidays, I don't check the ski report every day. Knowledge of last grooming would be very useful when deciding where to ski with family and friends. Many of our best trails can be a completely different experience when recently groomed.

Would anyone else like this?

I agree. I would also like to see a webcam pic @ different elevations. That would be nice. 8)

walknet2
12-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I am happy to see that the snow report is time stamped, but would also like to see the trail report time stamped as well. I know there are many of us with short windows of opportunity to ski mid week and to know that the trail / lift ops are up to date would save that occasional wasted trip.

ski_resort_observer
12-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I would like to see a section with testimonials from skiers about the great day they had at the Bush. Maybe one per day. For example....

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album14/kidskier.jpg
Wendy from New Jersey,
"I love ripping the sick
terrain they have here"

win
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
The checked trails are what is groomed the night before. Is you are looking at tomorrow's report (Monday) the trails that are checked as groomed will have bee groomed sometime between 4pm on Sunday and opening on Monday. Conditions and the amount of terrain to be groomed often determine the exaact timing of what is groomed. Generally the groomers start up high and work their way to the base.

Lostone
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
and to know that the trail / lift ops are up to date would save that occasional wasted trip.
I believe you can check the interactive trail map for lift status. It has been said, in the past that it is updated immediately. I did check on Friday afternoon, and at first it said it was running (I knew the wind hold had been lifted before I left.) and later it said it was on windhold.

As to when it went on windhold and when the update was made to the site, I don't know. I also don't know how soon the opening/closing of a trail would be reflected on the interactive map or regular list, I don't know.

I'd be happy to hear confirmation/refutation of this. 8)

As someone who ran tests for a living, I can say it is always good practice to have a time stamp on all data. It almost never costs anything and answers questions before they are brought up.

Nick Danger
12-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Hi Win,

Yes, I understand what the checks mean on the trail report. I'm looking for additional information that goes back more than one day. When I wake up Saturday morning and check the trail report, it would be great if I could see that Middle Earth, for example, was groomed Thursday night, not just what was groomed last night. This would be especially useful for trails that are infrequently groomed.

Thanks for listening.

The checked trails are what is groomed the night before. Is you are looking at tomorrow's report (Monday) the trails that are checked as groomed will have bee groomed sometime between 4pm on Sunday and opening on Monday. Conditions and the amount of terrain to be groomed often determine the exaact timing of what is groomed. Generally the groomers start up high and work their way to the base.

Tin Woodsman
12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi Win,

Yes, I understand what the checks mean on the trail report. I'm looking for additional information that goes back more than one day. When I wake up Saturday morning and check the trail report, it would be great if I could see that Middle Earth, for example, was groomed Thursday night, not just what was groomed last night. This would be especially useful for trails that are infrequently groomed.

Thanks for listening.

Nick, first of all, welcome to SkiMRV. Thanks for contributing to this evolving community.

Second, I'm as a big a stickler as you'll find for improvements to the snow/trail report on the website, but even in the example you gave, I can't imagine that would add much value.

Middle Earth is going to be bumped up pretty much by the afternoon after it is groomed, no? At latest the following day, depending on how busy it is mid-week. I'm not sure how you would be able to tell the difference between Middle Earth groomed Thursday night vs. the previous Monday.

As for suggested improvements of mine, I'll keep beating the drum:

1) More frequent updates during snow events.

2) Time stamps on all reports and updates

3) Better snow reporting that gives a range/figure for both the upper mountain and lower mountain (or even add mid too if available)

4) At least one web cam each at the base of LP and ME

5) More communication as to what the Ops team is doing now and planning in the week or two ahead. The post from Win on how SB is planning to go top to bottom is exactly what I'm talking about.

CMISLES
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Bring back the Mountain Cam!

Lostone
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Nick, first of all, welcome to SkiMRV. Thanks for contributing to this evolving community.

Second, I'm as a big a stickler as you'll find for improvements to the snow/trail report on the website, but even in the example you gave, I can't imagine that would add much value.

Middle Earth is going to be bumped up pretty much by the afternoon after it is groomed, no? At latest the following day, depending on how busy it is mid-week. I'm not sure how you would be able to tell the difference between Middle Earth groomed Thursday night vs. the previous Monday.

Let me add my welcome to the forum. Are you the same Nick Danger that had the Yahoo group? If so, double welcome. :wink:

Now, Tin, I can see his point. No. If Middle Earth has been groomed on Tuesday, and there is no snow, since, it is likely to be a slide for life. Those trails really don't hold snow when groomed.

If it has been groomed on Tuesday, and there has been a big snowstorm, since, it is likely to be one of the best runs you will ever get, with soft, fresh bumps. I would advise staying away from it, in that case. 8)

Even moreso for the blues. The difference between Snowball groomed the night before and groomed two days ago can be immense! That said, it would be a royal pain to keep up with it. Fairly easy in concept, by just entering the date of the last groom. But it is one more thing to have people complain about being incorrect. :roll: :lol:

But you can do the same thing. If you are coming up on the weekend, start taking notes from the daily reports. Too much work? Well, that might be what the mountain might say, too. :wink:

Treeskier
12-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I like the idea of having a 3-5 day backward review of the snow report. I suspect a good web master could archive at least one snow report per day. I do love the pictures of the day. Very helpful.

freeheel_skier
12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I like the idea of having a 3-5 day backward review of the snow report. I suspect a good web master could archive at least one snow report per day. I do love the pictures of the day. Very helpful.

Not a bad idea. But the average person is looking for immediate satisfaction....I don't thin they are looking beyond 3 days. They want to know what is going on today and how much it dumped/didn't dump. A lot can happen weatherwise in 24hrs. Please correct me if I am wrong :?

Bubba
12-12-2006, 07:09 AM

Like this?

http://www.grandtarghee.com/the-mountain/conditions/index.php

tomthumb
12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
First time poster here- The daily trail/snow report can be printed out correct? For the hardcore few that want to analyze the progressions of grooming, snowmaking, etc . . . Why not print the page out every day? Then you'll have a hardcopy you can mark up and pick your runs!

I check the trail report daily, and can generally remember the details on my favorite spots.

freeheel_skier
12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Welcome Tomthumb! :D

kcyanks1
12-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Win,

Thanks for listening.

Middle Earth, groomed??? Blasphemy!! :-) (I realize on rare occasion parts of it are groomed, but still!!)

Strat
12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Win,

Thanks for listening.

Middle Earth, groomed??? Blasphemy!! :-) (I realize on rare occasion parts of it are groomed, but still!!)
Only time I've ever been up Castlerock, haha...

asland
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
one the ticket's page where it states the price to ski as a rediculous $66 - $70. You could reduce that to a price that is affordable for the average vermonter.

Lostone
12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
If you're talking about today, check the snow report, where it says $46.

But, if I assume correctly, you're just talking about prices being too high, Mt Ellen is $52/56, A Sugarcard can save you each day, there are lots of deals, ( My plans has always been "spend more for a pass and ski more days, for less per day.") and finally, we would all like to ski for free, but that hasn't been this world for a while.

Day ticket prices are better than anyone fairly local except MRG, where... nobody is skiing, now. :oops:

But welcome to the board. :wink:

Plowboy
12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
one the ticket's page where it states the price to ski as a rediculous $66 - $70. You could reduce that to a price that is affordable for the average vermonter.

Would have to be the average person. USFS land :arrow: thanks to Michael Kroposki.

beelze
12-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Even so, a number of places out west note which trails were groomed 'last night' and which were done in the morning.. probably no
difference 90% of the time but there are days when either a big drop in temps or other climate change would make it nice to know.

As to feature to add - some have said cam at different elevations (I guess off the top of each chair) which would be great - failing that
weather station (w/ wind) at summit and base of both lincoln and mt. ellen. Weather is probably easier to maintain/operate but most
would probably like to see more cam shots. Some resorts which tend to be crowded focus more on the lifts than the runs, clearly in our case one at the base and more higher up would be optimal. Examples of other resorts:

http://www.alta.com/pages/mtncam.php
http://www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/conditions/mountain_cams/index.html
http://www.coppercolorado.com/mountain/cams/index.htm
http://www.squaw.com/winter/squawubercam.html
http://www.jacksonhole.com/mtn.cams.index.asp
http://www.skilouise.com/conditions/mountain-cam.aspx
http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/mountain/webcams/

sugarboarder
12-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Remember when we used to just go to the mountain, see what was open and then just go out and enjoy it? Probably got more work done when we weren't at the hill because we weren't getting "screen suck" from the computer. :P

tymoguls
12-29-2006, 12:01 PM
This one should be really easy ... a notes section for each trail on the trail report to explain anything that might be different that day. For example, mainstream and straighshot have been signed on mountain as advanced+ for the past few days. I knew that in advance from this BB, but it would be a real shocker for a parent expecting access to some easy trails for their youngsters to arrive at the mountain and find it advanced+ only.

It would also allow notification of events such as race camps, terrain features, etc that may effect the use of a given trail.

freeheel_skier
12-29-2006, 03:05 PM
How about some phone #'s. For example: I had to go thru the main 53-sugar to be connected.

*edit* Oops :oops: I failed to mention that I was calling Timbers to check availability

ski_resort_observer
12-29-2006, 04:27 PM
How about some phone #'s. For example: I had to go thru the main 53-sugar to be connected.

If you called a department directly you have to pay for that call vs the free call using the 53-Sugar. Also, by the calling the main number you will be able to speak to someone for sure, granted you might have to wait a couple of minutes, while calling a department directly you would have to leave a voice mail if they are busy with a guest or maybe a line of guests. The staff members who answer the 800 number, that is their primary job, while calling a department it is not.

It's not a perfect system but works better than most resorts I have called

freeheel_skier
12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
I just checked the website for a phone # for Timbers. I clicked Timbers and got no info....so I called the only # I could remember.... :?

Plowboy
12-30-2006, 02:34 AM
:idea:

ski_resort_observer
12-30-2006, 07:55 AM
The 800-53-SUGAR number should be answered by a real person 24/7. Once the reservation/guest info office closes for the day the line goes to the front desk of the Sugarbush Inn which is open 24/7. This will change soon to the front desk of Claybrook which is/will be open 24/7. Again, it's not a perfect system, for example if there is a line of guests checking in the staff might not answer and let it go to voice mail. One of the first duties of the reservation/guest info office when it opens up at 8AM is to check the voicemail and reply ASAP.

Maybe this is just too easy too understand. If you want the # to Timbers, call the 53-Sugar number and they can either transfer you or give you the number so you can call on your own coin. I don't know why it's not listed on the website. Every radio, tv or print ad the Bush runs whether it be for an event, whatever, it always ends with call 1-800-53-SUGAR for more info. The local number is 583-6160.

sugarboarder
12-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I find that 9 times out of 10, the option I want is not in the voice prompts, then I get the operator, who either switches me to a wrong department, or I get the right department or person but get voice mail - even after the operator assures me they are available...very frustrating and as a result I don\'t even try any more.

ski_resort_observer
12-31-2006, 12:57 AM
I know what you mean, when I call a bank or a credit card company I have expereinced the same frustration. The Bush doesn't have a central operator anymore but the current system should work. When you get the choices, there are only two, disregard them and just stay on the line and you will get thru or if everyone is talking to other guests then you will unfortunatly go in the que(sic) and have to wait.

You can always ask the agent to put you on hold, they will call the department you want to talk to, if someone picks up, they will transfer you thru, but if they get voice mail, they will come back to you and give you the choice to be transfered and leave a voice mail or try again later.

Strat
12-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Can I drop in with a grammar/spelling lesson? Just a quickie...

(sic) is used when quoting a misspelling from someone else's writing... if I were to quote SRO...

"When you get the choices, there are only two, disregard them and just stay on the line and you will get thru (sic) or if everyone else is talking..."

That's all. 8)

ski_resort_observer
12-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Get back in your sandbox! :wink:

noski
12-31-2006, 03:13 PM

I'm not complaining. I am glad there are "kids" out there who actually know this stuff. Oh, and sro- it's queue. You were almost there. :)

Strat
12-31-2006, 03:33 PM

I'm not complaining. I am glad there are "kids" out there who actually know this stuff. Oh, and sro- it's queue. You were almost there. :)
Haha... there's not too many of us... though some of us are more secretive about our ages than others...

sugarboarder
12-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Haha... there's not too many of us... though some of us are more secretive about our ages than others...

Correction of my own here: Should be "There are not too many of us..."! "There's" is a contraction of there and is, and is singular...i.e "There is not too many of us"...it's amazing how much I hear/read this mistake these days - even on national broadcasts and by otherwise educated people. 8)

Lostone
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Moderator note:

Please keep the Grammar / spelling things in the feedback thread. They tend to be hijacks that take over threads. Not arguing the content; only the placement. Thanx for your support. :wink:

Mike451
12-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Webcams for sure, everybody else has them, and live streaming weather data as well would be nice.

sugarboarder
01-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Ok, I'd like to see better grammar and spelling on the SB website. :wink:

shadyjay
01-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see the Interactive Trail Map fixed. Some trails are perpetually closed, even when they're open... such as Lookin' Good and Straight Shot. They're always yellow. There's others at south too that are always closed as well.

-JH

random_ski_guy
01-01-2007, 04:01 PM
yeah, a more accurate interactive trail map would be fun. i really like stowe's, it loads up quickly, its easy to use and it is seemlying current. sugarbush should reach out to whomever put that one together.

kcyanks1
01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I'd like to see the Interactive Trail Map fixed. Some trails are perpetually closed, even when they're open... such as Lookin' Good and Straight Shot. They're always yellow. There's others at south too that are always closed as well.

-JH

I just looked at it earlier today, and I like the map itself, but there did seem to be some odd openings/and closings. Downspout and Organgrinder were marked closed, for instance.

tymoguls
01-01-2007, 09:25 PM
The interactive map would be greatly improved if:

1. The highlighting was for open instead of closed trails. Why emphasize the negative. I want to know where I can ski, not where I can't.

2. It was possible to highlight trails based on degree of difficulty (all green, blue, black, double black).

3. It was possible zoom in/zoom out to specific areas of interest.

4. If the annotations for each trail included a picture (or better yet a video clip). Ideally, one from the current day (though that is probably asking a bit much).

#1 and #2 would be cheap mods to the existing map. #3 and #4 would probably require significant redesign.

Of course, it's really easy to dream up way's to spend Win's money. If I were Win, I would be asking, "how many more skier days do I get for my investment?"

Perhaps we should combine several threads and ask, "where would the next $50K of investment be best spent?" Let me be more specific. You get to propose a single one time project with an estimated total cost of less than $50K that could be fully implemented in by Valentine's day. As part of your proposal, try to estimate the number of additional skier days that would be generated for: 1) the remainder of this season, and 2) next season.

Given the weather outlook for the coming week, I'm leaning toward a community snow dance.

kcyanks1
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The interactive map would be greatly improved if:

1. The highlighting was for open instead of closed trails. Why emphasize the negative. I want to know where I can ski, not where I can't.

2. It was possible to highlight trails based on degree of difficulty (all green, blue, black, double black).

3. It was possible zoom in/zoom out to specific areas of interest.

Nice suggestions, especially 1 & 2.

4. If the annotations for each trail included a picture (or better yet a video clip). Ideally, one from the current day (though that is probably asking a bit much).

Of course, it's really easy to dream up way's to spend Win's money. If I were Win, I would be asking, "how many more skier days do I get for my investment?"

MRG has pictures for most trails, and Jay has video clips for many trails. A cool feature, though not the most important of things as you I figure you are indicating with the last part of your post that I quoted.

freeheel_skier
01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
How often is the weather/higher summets forecast page updated? Checked the weather today and and Today is Monday MLK day. Just a question and an observation. Not a complaint. :wink: