PDA

View Full Version : So, what does everyone think of the new base area?

random_ski_guy
12-09-2006, 08:36 PM
For those that skied Lincoln Peak today, what are your initial impressions of the new lodge and the new base area experience? And the skiing too?

Lostone
12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I was just getting set for this thread. Nice that you started it for me. :wink:

I think the new lodge is great. Still some things to be finished, but everything is up and running. Here are a few pix:

First, the outside:

From the front:
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1531c.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1535.jpg

Front of Claybrook (for the heck of it. :wink: )
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1534.jpg

From the back:
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1543a.jpg
Probably need more ski racks. :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1516.jpg

And then, we go inside:

The cafeteria
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1518a.jpg

The food court
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1523.jpg

Looking upstairs
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1524.jpg

Heading to the front desk, and the bag storage
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1526a.jpg

And Sandy catches the toast of the first round at the new Castlerock Pub!
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1536a.jpg

And of course, there were more that didn't even make it to the gallery, where there are a few more shots.
Lincol Peak Base Area Gallery (http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album07&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=4) Just the last two pix on this page, and then the next page and the start of the next.

I'm interested (of course) in hearing from others, as to their opinions.

As for the skiing, it will get better. :roll: :wink:

HowieT2
12-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I was wondering when you lucky ones were going to share some pix for those stuck on flatland. Thanks.

random_ski_guy
12-09-2006, 09:50 PM
What, no pictures from the bathrooms? :lol:

Nice work as always. My comment/question from 300 miles away is what is the flooring material they used on the first floor? It looks like some sort of unfinished decking.

Otherwise, I think it looks good. I particularly like the exterior look in general and all the light those big new windows are allowing into the building.

Plowboy
12-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks great, has a new car smell, and nice light open feeling. 8)

Without the Valley House I'm not sure it's big enough. :?

Add Timbers maybe?? :wink:

Add rest of Village: good to go 8)

All in all my first New Gate House experience was good.

Here's to the crew that did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strat
12-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Lostone, where's the shot of me? I saw you snapping away in there, you definitely took one with me right in the center when I was in line paying for lunch... black vest with a black shirt on underneath... wait, was I cropped out of this one? (http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1523.jpg) It was either that shot or one pointed slightly more to the left towards the soups... didn't say hi because I wasn't 100% sure it was you, you didn't have your Sugarbush jacket and nametag on, haha...

My sister is way in the background of one of the shots of the seating areas though...

Lostone
12-09-2006, 10:42 PM
:oops: As with most of my shooting, I take far more pix than I will ever post. :oops:

I have taken literally thousands of pix. (And I mean literally. These pix are 15 hundreds and the minolta is saying over 3000, but it already went over 10K. :shock: ) There is no site that could host them all, and I would never have the time. You were... :oops: on the cutting room floor. :oops:

Actually, that means that shot would simply go onto a CD.

In this case, I think I have resurrected you. If so, you are looking straight at me? :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/t100_1522c_a.jpg

And I wasn't in Sugarbush gear because I was there on my own, today. As an ambassador, you only work so many days. (But most of us ski... a little more than that. 8) )

Strat
12-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, there I am!

I'm famous... :D

8)

noski
12-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey, there I am!

8)

Stick with me kid, I'll show you how it's done. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
12-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The new Gate House looks awesome...thanks for the pics!

freeheel_skier
12-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Never made the treck over. Thanks for the pic's. The lodge looks great!

Mike_451
12-10-2006, 10:50 PM
You got a picture of everybody but me :(

Guest Services desk is great, inspired by the glen ellen base lodge? Now you walk in and there is acutaly a staff presence..... :lol:

The locker room is cool, could be a bit bigger though, needs more benches to. :roll:

Seasons Pass desk is accessible now 8)

Castlerock Pub is nice, unfortunately I am not 21 :x

Adventure gear is cool, decent prices, good selection of essentials, not much more to say :wink:

Bathrooms looked nice, but smelled bad Saturday, Today they were fine, I wonder if they got the fans wired up last night or something, but afterall they are bathrooms :?

There are now 2 water fountains instead of the 1 that was there previously :lol:

Upstairs, at least 4 times the seating capicity of the old gatehouse, nice wide open, lots of windows, high ceilings, even a claustrophobic would be at home on a crowded day.

The Food is really great, finaly worth what you pay for it, and for all you gourmets out there, it is actually real food ! :D

Sodas are still 3 bucks with no refills :x :x :x :x :x :(

I think they could use a few more ski racks outside, I think that is a prety easy fix :lol: What I would like to see though is a ski check, perhaps run by ambassadors, build a coral arround the racks, trade your skis or board for a tag, turn the tag back in, get your gear, simple, cheap, and it wouldn't cost the resort anything, and would prevent stolen gear! A resort in PA I frequent does this.....
8)

Anyway, beautiful rustic interior, really classy but not pompous, architecturally it is great, I can pick on a few details here and there that appear to me to me that somebody decided it would be easier or cheaper to do it that way, but it is really great, high level of finish, looks nice.

Great job to all the grunts who have been pounding nails round the clock to make this happen, I have a building background, and I remember looking at the slab back in August thinking they would get it framed, and have the exterior finished in by opening day, but I am just amazed they pulled it off and finished it, of course down to the minute, but they made it happen.
:P

My Summery, FREAKING AWSOME :wink:

CapeSkiGuy
12-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Generally speaking, I loved it. Except for one glaring flaw:
The Castlerock Pub is way, way, too small. Apres on a busy Saturday will be jammed to the rafters.
Sorry, but it had to be said. Also, there seems to be no fireplace at all. If there is, we missed it. Oh, and the paved parking lot? Really nice, but are there plans for ice control? The lot seems to hold a bit of water on the surface.
Anyway, the whole project is beautiful, and we should all collectively pray for a huge snow dump so this place can crank up to speed. I want to see it under a thick blanket of snow.

Not complaining...just constructive observations.

Doing the snow dance,
J

Bubba
12-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey, there I am!

8)

Stick with me kid, I'll show you how it's done. :wink:

Noski, who? :P

Nice shots Lostone, you even snuck me into the background once or twice. Good one of Blazer coach extrordinaire Damond Washington.
Oh, by the way, it's snowing.

HowieT2
12-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Kudos and congratulations to everyone at SB for getting the new facilities up and running on time. I'm sure it was no small feat. I didn't think there was any chance the way it looked in August. I can't wait to see it myself.

gratefulskier
12-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Damond Washington, huh? I look more like Charles Manson in that picture. Well, maybe that's just how I always look.

GS

WWF-VT
12-11-2006, 09:14 AM
First view of Claybrook from the access road is very impressive.

New Gate House Lodge is well designed, tasteful architecture and a nice open space for the cafeteria. They have graded the area behind the lodge and it’s easier to get to the Super Bravo.

Negative observations

the locker / storage shelf area is very small with not enough benches. Last year the Gate House had a room with tables and storage shelves that accommodated more room for families and brown bagging. Was told that there is supposed to be no gear storage in upstairs cafeteria area and that brown bagging was only at the Valley House.

Food court floor is very slick navigating in ski boots when the floor was wet

Maybe a first day issue – the food court checkout lines were painfully slow. Couple in front of me was not happy as their pricey burgers and soups were getting cold waiting in line

Treeskier
12-11-2006, 09:30 AM
As I have stated in the past over all it is a HUGE WOW.

The Castlerock pub was nice. I liked the extra bar space. t was great to see everyone enjoying it. But a few observations: One no coat hooks. But several people had some fine idea's, Add coat hooks under the bar like the side bar at the Hydeaway, Put a 4 coat ceiling mounted hook under the tall tables. (a woman I was talking with said it was good place also to store here purse) Another person pointed out that since the seats have no back there is no place for coats there. It was said that they wanted a clean look but if there where hooks on the walls the coats would also help with sound deadening. One engineering mind said that if you wanted winter only hooks to intall a temorary slat of wood into the wall vertical indentations with hooks on it and then remvove it in the off seasons. It was also observed that took a lot of time running back and forth to the register and swiping something for each transaction. We all asumed that waiter/waitresses will be hired soon to help with the work flow. Really like the multiple beer choices! Can't wait for the sound system to be finished. Bose "NISE!"

After going to the Kid's program adult over view at Valley House several parents said how come you do not just have the kids program eat out this un-used cafe. I would keep the kids out of the premier new Gatehouse and there rambuntionus state which with a 11:00 lunch is a patern setter for the rest of the lunch in Gatehouse.

Last skiers quickly started to use the fence next to Gatehouse on the way to Super Brovo as a place to lean skis. Having seen this else where. I am sure it will become a regular pattern. But when the wind does pick up and/or they are coated with a icey coat the skis can all of sudden under a good wind come crashing down in a domino effect. Not sure where I saw it but at on resort they put 2x4 blocks every few feet to stop that effect. In the same vain as the ski rack dowels.

Over all very nice job. Hats off to all of the hard workers for getting it open on time!

Doing my snow dance...Boy could we use a quick 2 feet!

freeheel_skier
12-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Win did say that this weekend would be a "soft" opening for the new lodge. Treeskier, I am sure/hope that some of your concerns will be addressed before the holiday rush week. And yes.....a nice small 2' of fluff will make everything nicey nice! 8)

castlerock
12-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I really like the look of it. It appears to work reasonably well. I like the wooden flooring down stairs.

I am guessing that there will be some enhancements to the walls to add a little character.

It may be a nit pick, but, The long straight tables don't work well with the plastic arm chairs. You can't get around them, or push them in far enough.

I would have preferred wooden tables with benches. That would add to the feel of the room and allow a lot more people at a table. Benches always beat chairs for that.

Seriously, dump the plastic arm chairs and get some benches.....

Tin Woodsman
12-11-2006, 11:36 AM
My $0.02 on the new lodge.

1) It's a beautiful building, immediately becoming one of the nicer day lodges in the northeast. It fits with it's surroundings and the vibe is most certainly VT. Win, Adam, and the rest of the SV team should be extremely proud of themselves.

2) The internal services and areas are well laid out. I didn't peak into the storage area, so I can't comment on whether it's too small. I will note my general observation that the hope that skiers don't store things in the main room upstairs is just plain unrealistic. Bags and shoes will get stored under tables. That bit of behavior modification is, IMHO, "one bridge too far".

3) In time, on busy weekends and holidays, I believe the tables will prove to be spaced too close together. Walking room between them was at a premium with empty chairs. You might want to think about taking out a row of tables in each section to space out the remainder. This is connected to my comment in #2 above re: storage. In addition, the north/south aisles through the rows were a little narrow, given that you'll have people played out at the ends of each table.

4) You could tell it was a soft-opening, and I'm glad Win announced it as such. A few quick hits here:

- Too few cashiers - they should be three abreast or at least double stacked in each line (one behind the other serving the other side of the line). With even a small lunch time rush, the lines got long quickly
- Condiment table didn't have any place to put your tray. I heard through the grapevine that Adam mentioned this was a temporary situation. Hope so.

5) One thing to watch out for - the metal grates on the main entrance of the uphill side were quite slippery when clogged with snow (as they hopefully will be more often). I slipped and almost fell down twice in ski boots there. Maybe I'm just more of a clutz than most.

6) The food was clearly an upgrade vs. last year in both quality and variety. Loved those burgers and the new sandwich/salad station. Very nice. On the down side, a few items of note. You're getting about half the fires you did last year for the same price. When I was eating, the fries were barely filling the paper boat they were placed in. A little chintzy there I thought. Also, a friend wanted a simple burger and fries plate, but you couldn't substitute out of the pasta salad. I'm a big fan of the latter for health reasons, but there should be an option going forward for whatever side you want - even if it requires a few more $. Overall, I thought the bigger burger and pasta salad provided pretty good value, in ski area terms, for my $7.

I am a bit sad to see that Coke is still the main beverage supplier. Their non-carbonated offerings are pretty lousy compared to the Pepsi system (Lipton, Gatorade, SoBe, Starbucks doubleshots, Naked Juice, Tropicana, etc..)

7) The TVs in the south hall were too small and poorly positioned. At a minimum, they should be diagonal to the corner - only 1/3 of the room could see anything on them the way they are. Second, they are too small even for those who can see them. That's a big space and you quickly get pretty far away.

8) Only walked around the Pub for a minute, but it did seem a bit cozy and dark. Perhaps it will seem larger when they are able to open up the outside with the heat lamps and such. Thought their should be bigger TVs in there to, but that's just me.

9) Even though I knew there wasn't going to be one (it was mentioned here weeks ago), I was sad to see no fireplace. Call me a sap.

10) Almost forgot - you need more signage telling people upstairs where the bathrooms, guest services, and Castlerock Pub are. If they entered from upstairs to begin with, they wouldn't know otherwise.

Overall, a huge improvement to be sure. Some problems seem temporary, some might be around for a while. I'll be interested to see how it evolves through the winter.

arc1
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
It's an excellent replacement for the previous lodge, but will fall far short of the space they're going to need during busy times. The place was maxed out Saturday, and the mtn was pretty dead. If they don't get Valley House on line with some food service it's going to be a problem. Think of all the people that were squeezed into the Valley House cafetieria, the mushroom and the 3rd floor. Nice as it is, the new building does not have that kind of capacity. Not sure, though, how the hotel rest will figure into the equation.

Plus they need to make more snow.

Tin Woodsman
12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
It's an excellent replacement for the previous lodge, but will fall far short of the space they're going to need during busy times. The place was maxed out Saturday, and the mtn was pretty dead. If they don't get Valley House on line with some food service it's going to be a problem. Think of all the people that were squeezed into the Valley House cafetieria, the mushroom and the 3rd floor. Nice as it is, the new building does not have that kind of capacity. Not sure, though, how the hotel rest will figure into the equation.

Plus they need to make more snow.

That's a good observation. Have to say I concur. To what degree will Timbers alleviate the crowding? Probably only at the margin. IMO, the VH lodge absolutely must remain standing and semi-operational until the Skier Services Bldg is completed. At that point, all of the ski school, kids programs and associated traffic move to that building, leaving the GH lodge for everyone else. To sequence this otherwise would be madness.

As for snowmaking, I heard form one of the guys on the crew that they got the dreaded shut down order from Green Mtn Power in the midst of a good window last week. The crew had to run up the hill, shut down the guns, and then run back up and start them all over again two hours later once the early evening peak was over. That seems like a real important long-term issue to me. Inevitably, the optimal snowmaking windows will coincide with the peak-draw periods on the grid for residential usage.

ski_resort_observer
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Crazy idea, I'm a big propronent of wind power. I think most of us know that the summit of Mt Ellen is pretty windy. A couple of turbines not like the 27 proposed turbine project next to Magic which was turned down mostly due the large number of turbines might be at least part of a long tem power solution.

freeheel_skier
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Crazy idea, I'm a big propronent of wind power. I think most of us know that the summit of Mt Ellen is pretty windy. A couple of turbines not like the 27 proposed turbine project next to Magic which was turned down mostly due the large number of turbines might be at least part of a long tem power solution.

I like that Idea. Just as long as they are on the Jerusalem Trail side & face Whiteface. :lol:

random_ski_guy
12-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Wind power is great. For instance, I would love to see the cape cod wind farm project happen (its a shame it won't).

In the meantime until the wind blows in (lame pun), I couldn't imagine trying to run as difficult a business as the ski business and being hamstrung by electricity shortages. My god, like dealing with the snow gods isn't hard enough already. Well, after one missed snowmaking window I would have those generators back on the property ready to go. This is about survivial.

ski_it
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I'll start by saying that I loved the new lodge and was just all-around impressed. I'm sure I could find some nit-pick comments to make, but when you look at the big picture, it's such a huge improvement that I'd rather just keep my mouth shut. Besides, I think most of the items that I noticed, overheard in liftlines, or over beers have already been posted in this thread. Speaking of beer, I was very pleased with the selection in Castlerock pub where I logged some solid time breaking-in the place on Saturday.

Anyone know what happened with snowmaking on O-grinder? There was about a half-football field sized patch of glare ice right in the middle of the trail, about halfway down. On my first ride up Heaven's Gate, I heard a loud hissing sound coming from a line on Ripcord, so maybe there was an air line leak? Regardless, I congratulate the ops team for their hard work to get Lincoln Peak open top to bottom for the weekend.

FIS and Exterminator were skiing awesome on Sunday. The liftline was unreal, though. I have to comment that Demo Day really doesn't work at North without top to bottom. Between the long lift lines and having to download to swap out a pair of skis, it just didn't logistically make sense. Seems like it should have been shifted over to LP.

Getting back on topic-- in the artist's renderings of Timbers (http://www.lincolnpeakvillage.com/ezstatic/data/lincolnpeakvillage/i/restaurant_large.jpg), it shows a really sweet bar on the right side of the drawing. Is this still the plan? If so, what's the bar capacity going to be there as compared to the Castlerock Pub? A large enough bar area could alleviate some of the concern I've heard about Castlerock Pub being jam-packed at peak times.

freeheel_skier
12-11-2006, 11:40 PM
This is unrelated to LP....but I like the new tv @ the ME bar...baby steps.

Mike_451
12-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Overall I prefer the Mount Ellen Base, Really Accessible, Easy to get in and out of, and you don't have to walk up stairs to get to the GMX!!!!!! I also really love the terrain at north, the Northridge chair is simply awsome and while the trail count is less, there are many great black and double black trails, not to mention some spectacular crusing terrain. I am tempted to buy a North Only Pass next season anyway.

Lostone
12-12-2006, 07:40 AM
If you check the vertical you have to do to get from the parking lot to the lodge, it will be more. :lol:

That is the interesting thing about the stairs that everyone complains about. You have always had to walk up that much!! They didn't dig down the parking lot. They didn't raise the base. They just regraded the end part and put in longer stairs to get from the lower village to the same level of base.

If you were beyond (probably) the third row in the lot, you had to climb the same vertical. They just moved the point you start climbing. :roll: :lol:

win
12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I am a bit rushed so I will provide some answers, but I way miss somethings. Most of your comments have already made it onto our punch list and that is why a soft opening helps. The floor in the cafeteria was supposed to be non-slip, but it obviously is not for ski boots. That will be changed. The entries and meral greates from outside are also being addressed. We will be putting hooks in the Casterock pub to hang coats and stuff. There is going to be a third cashier which will help the flow. Also the cashiers arrived from Peru just in time to learn our new RTP system. They had no prior training so this also made it slower than it should be in the future. The storage room is a good question -we'll see We are adding some more shelves and benches. Hardly anyone used the coin operated lockers or the checked storage which will change during the Holiday crunch. I think the signage is good from the main entry in but Tin makes a good point about upstairs. I am mixed on the size of the TV's, but I am not going to change this year.

With respect to seating space. It looked full because everyone was spread out and sometimes taking up 2 to 3 seats. When it is busy people will have to use only one seat. Also remember that cafeterias turn about 3X so is you have 450 seats you can accommodate 1,350 people. We also have a side room that can accommodate another 50-60 seats and that was not set up this past weekend. It is on the North East side and the doors we shut. It can also be used for private meetings. Castlerock Pub has 80 seats indoors and another 40+ outside in the right weather. Timbers has 130 seats. If you do get 3 turns then all of these will accomodate nearly two thousand. I also assume that some will eat at Allyns's, a good number will brown bag, people will still go to Chez Henri and Club 10 and many will ski and ride early and go home before noon. We do have some options will the kids programs as well. The Valley House is not having any food service but is available for brown baggers and has some vending machines. One can not build a church for Christmas and Easter and we can not build a Lodge for the busiest day of the year. However, if we find that we do need more space that will be great news and we can build that into the programming of the next lodge this winter. Frankly, I am hoping we do get a bit crowded.

Thanks for the observations!

What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!

WWF-VT
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Win as always for the response and updates. Many observations posted here are already checked off and resolved moving foreward !

PS - Kudos to the Sugar Sherpas - nice addition to the mountain staff

Strat
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Love the honest word Win. Thanks a ton.

Tin Woodsman
12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I am a bit rushed so I will provide some answers, but I way miss somethings. Most of your comments have already made it onto our punch list and that is why a soft opening helps. The floor in the cafeteria was supposed to be non-slip, but it obviously is not for ski boots. That will be changed. The entries and meral greates from outside are also being addressed. We will be putting hooks in the Casterock pub to hang coats and stuff. There is going to be a third cashier which will help the flow. Also the cashiers arrived from Peru just in time to learn our new RTP system. They had no prior training so this also made it slower than it should be in the future.
This is great news and glad to se they're already on the list. Even happier to see that Natalia is back. It's very niiiice. :lol:

The storage room is a good question -we'll see We are adding some more shelves and benches. Hardly anyone used the coin operated lockers or the checked storage which will change during the Holiday crunch.
I am skeptical that people's habits will change here until absolutely necessary - i.e. no more room/storage int he main hall upstairs.

I think the signage is good from the main entry in but Tin makes a good point about upstairs. I am mixed on the size of the TV's, but I am not going to change this year.

Signage is definitely good from the main entry, but there are a variety of reasons why a customer's first exposure the the lodge could be upstairs (coming via SBX, happened to walk in that way, etc...). As for the TVs, even angling them towards the room would be an improvement, IMHO. I can understand why you wouldn't want the TV to be any kind of center of focus though.

With respect to seating space. It looked full because everyone was spread out and sometimes taking up 2 to 3 seats. When it is busy people will have to use only one seat. Also remember that cafeterias turn about 3X so is you have 450 seats you can accommodate 1,350 people. We also have a side room that can accommodate another 50-60 seats and that was not set up this past weekend. It is on the North East side and the doors we shut. It can also be used for private meetings.
I was wondering about that. I was looking for an upstairs bathroom and wandered over there. Couldn't figure out what that was. will that space be set up and open everyday for non-private meeting folk?

Castlerock Pub has 80 seats indoors and another 40+ outside in the right weather. Timbers has 130 seats.

IIRC, the turnout at the old CR pub was quite a bit more than 80. Mushroom and upstairs at VH was probably double that. that could make for tight space down there. I assume people will overflow, or choose in the first place, the ample sized bar at Timbers. Do you envision Timbers as an apres ski destination?

What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!
Yikes! Win Smith - man of action.

12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
WOW!
Nice job on the Gatehouse.
Phase one of the very impressive and upcoming improvements to the base area.

IMHO, a few "suggestions" would be:

Replace the low tables with only the tall tables in the Castlerock Pub, so everyone is at the same eye level standing or sitting throughout the space.
High tables also beome "leaning areas" for non-seated guests in a crowd.
Music, Music, Music.
Did I mention music.
I'll second the idea of the coat hooks under the tables and not on the walls.
A big fire pit outside the pub to draw people out and keep them warm.

I would also second the motion for leaving more space between the tables in the upper lodge, as well as an additional two checkout registers in the food and bev area, maybe one for credit cards only like a "speeedpass" lane.

That wasn't meant to be criticizing........

Looking forward to report the experience from Timbers this weekend.

Tin,
BTW that was good old NE Packed Powder on Grinder!
Better keep those edges tuned for a few more weeks until the dumping begins..........
Otherwise it's "slip slidin' away"........

CapeSkiGuy
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Is Timbers going to be open this weekend? If so, I will make it a point to check it out. Can't wait! Doing the snowdance for Sunday / Monday...

Lostone
12-13-2006, 02:09 PM
The is to be the grand opening of Claybrook and Timbers.

And today was the day to be on Organgrinder.

On each one of the first 10 turns, or so, I would say "Niiiice!" :D

Skiing in the rain is.... wet, but the snow is soft and so forgiving. 8)

CapeSkiGuy
12-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Great. I will positively be there to check it out and have a toast in the new bar. Congratulations to every member of the SB team who made this happen. You are to be commended.

Peter_B
12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
[Tin Woodsman wrote] IIRC, the turnout at the old CR pub was quite a bit more than 80. Mushroom and upstairs at VH was probably double that. that could make for tight space down there. [/quote]

I definitely share this concern. Upstairs at the Valley House (was it still called the Wonderbar after it moved to the top floor?) was always a good choice. I wonder now if there will be any table service options short of fine dining at Timbers? Instead of "building a church" why not operate an existing bar during peak periods at least?

Tin Woodsman
12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Let me clarify the 80. That is 80 seats for a meal. Clearly more than get in for apres ski!

So you'd assume some people sitting/standing at the bar and standing aside tables?

Is there room to put a small shelf on the wall(s) for people to rest their frosty adult beverages upon?

Lostone
12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Split skiing posts from lodge posts.

Please continue lodge thread, here.

Thanx,

Lostone 8)

Lostone
12-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, that answers that question... 8)

We had the employee party at the Gatehouse lodge today. I walked in a little late. Went over to the Castlerock Pub.

As for the 80 people.... Fugedaboutit!! :lol:

There were way more than 100. The place was almost wall to wall. Later, Win estimated 120, but by that time a lot had already left the room. As for how many seats... Nobody was sitting! Everyone was standing, talking to each other.

My guess is there were around 150 people in there, when I first got there. And there were still two corners that were empty. People also were standing in the hall, next to the pub.

Of course, the real test will be when y'all are there partying. :lol:

CapeSkiGuy
12-15-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm leaving shortly, and will be in Warren by this afternoon. I won't be on the mountain until Sunday, so I'm hoping for the best. See you all there, I hope! I will definitely be checking out Timbers. I'm skiing Sunday and Monday, and maybe Tuesday if it is decent. Adios! :D :D