PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Friday.....

Mike_451
12-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Friday, december 8
Conditions, Powder, Packed Powder, Cord......

Trails open, Upper Rim Run, Lower Rim Run, Elbow, Looking Good.

Ok, arrived at the mountain at about 9:30, having planned to get their before 9 for first chair having known what the conditions were the afternoon of the day before, realized I didn't have my boots, back to the house, they were not there, so I figured I left them their the night before, sure enough they were right at the guest services dek :oops: Anyway, in a panniced frenzy to get up on the mountain before everything got tracked to waste, about 10:00 One of the Ambasedors points out that everything was on a windhold, (Mixed blessings, still a chance at first tracks, but I will get to the rest)

Anyway, everything was on hold, some doubting the winds would calm enough that they could run it with enough time, to download, and I hear the word was that any later than they opened it, they would have closed for the day. So I figured, I don't need a stinking chairlift to ski, so I headed up a few hundred feet up strait shot, and made a few nice turns...... Bit it though, when I got blasted in the face by the Pole Cat, (left my helemt and goggles inside) and edged my skis into the crust below and face planted :D

So then I wen't down to the GMX, and foolishly waited there untill they fired it up, arround 1:00, without my face mask on, in 8 degree temps, with negitive windchills, for 3 hours, but I got first chair......... I am not sure it was really worth it though :x

A windy ride up the GMX, to the glen house, about -1 there, the winds were gusty up top, and increasing into the afternoon. The summit, was well lets just say COLD!!!!! (officialy it was something like -10) Then it was to the top, down upper rim run which was a combo of cord and pow, and then to Looking Good, which was almost knee deep off in the ditches to the side, flat groomed cord in the middle.

Off to the Glen House to warm up, thaw my hands, face, and feet, and put on my facemask :lol:

Back Out, Elbow was sweet, had been deep, 6" or so, but tracked up for the most part, but was nice, real snow for a change :lol:

Lower Rim Run, below Looking Good, was a bit rough, snowmaking whales, and waterbars, though was untracked off to the far right by the trees 8)

The bottom of Lower Rim Run despite the guns was sick, and not to many people were on it, because of the guns, and the conditions visible from the lift :roll: Turned out to be a nice stash.

FIS, they need to just break down and open it , I saw patrollers actualy skiing it :evil: Maybe with another 6" or so.....

Black diamond, had over a foot of new snow on it, tells you how much it actualy dumped, the wind striped or packed everything else down but Black Diamond is filling in nicly. :wink:

Snowmaking, Strait Shot, Lower Rim Run, Upper Exterminator, Lower Elbow, Way Back, and supposedly a few on the top of Cruiser. It seems like when they are done with Exterminator, they will blast on FIS, Panarama, Upper Rim Run, Spots on Lower Rim Run, and Cruiser to link things down to Strait Shot.

Anyway, It was windy up top, good snow though, alot of fun, despite the freezing temps, and winds, some really gnarly gusts up to 40-50 MPH, do the math 10 below zero with a windchill from a 50 mile per hour gust is something like -69 degrees

:oops:

Got in 4 runs (5 if you count the little jaunt down stait shot), cold ride to the bottom, 10 minute hold or so while downloading, but overall there was some great skiing to be had today.....