PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Lessons..etc

Strat
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
As this thread sort of took over two threads now, I've moved it to the Feedback/ Help area.
Lostone 8)

Further edit:

Please take all comments about grammar and spellink (:wink: ) to this thread.

Not doubting the validity of comments, just don't want them to take up all threads.

If referring to somone's post, there please send them a PM, politely telling them that they are invited to reply, here.

Thanx! 8)

From the other thread:

Noski: "http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=504

Go ahead mods. Lock this one. sigh. Fame is fleeting, I'll get over it (thanks to Bubba for noticing. It was a fun piece to do and I think it did come out very well- very professionally done. Kudos to Waitsfield Telecom for providing the funding and professional film crew).

Strat- did I do the parenthesis and period correctly?"

Jeez, what a reputation I've built up... I could get really picky and go into capitalization rules, but I'll leave it... one thing though... parenthesis is the singular, just one of these: ) or (

You put something in parentheses, that word being the plural. It's a Latin plural ending.

Hey, ya asked. :lol:

8)

Lostone
12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
And what made you think, SIR, that she was referring to both of them? :lol:

PS... Could the next lesson be on commas? You see, I'm, addicted, to, commas.

What you may not realize is as we go on, our memory banks get filled up with lots of other things, and forget these basic things that almost all of us had to learn to get away from school.

And the reason English teachers can obsess about it is... they never got out of school!! :shock:

They never had to figure the current going thru an op amp, how to stop it from oscillating, (Easy! try to design it as an oscillator circuit. :roll: ( Little engineerig humor, for you. :wink: ) ( Yes.... That is what passes for engineering humor. Why do you ask? :? ) or how to balance a tank circuit. But then again, neither does anyone else. :roll:

I have a good friend who teaches third grade. I'm always asking her if she passed, this year, and can move on to fourth. :lol:

BushMogulMaster
12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
C'mon Stat.... you BS about the parentheses, you have your own website, but you can't figure out how to transfer a quote from another thread as a quote???

Just kidding :lol:

By the way:

but I'll leave it... one thing though... parenthesis is the singular...

is entirely incorrect. The sentence should end with "but I'll leave it." Then begin a new sentence about parenthesis vs. parentheses. As it is, you have several independent clauses stuck together with ...s and commas. Makes for difficult reading.

You know I'm just getting you at your own game! :lol:

Strat
12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
C'mon Stat....you BS about the parentheses, you have your own website, but you can't figure out how to transfer a quote from another thread as a quote???

Just kidding :lol:

By the way:

but I'll leave it... one thing though... parenthesis is the singular...

is entirely incorrect. The sentence should end with "but I'll leave it." Then begin a new sentence about parenthesis vs. parentheses. As it is, you have several independent clauses stuck together with ...s and commas. Makes for difficult reading.

You know I'm just getting you at your own game! :lol:
Define "getting" me. Typos, acronyms without periods, triple question marks... I find it hard to take you seriously.

:wink:

Laziness > Grammar

BushMogulMaster
12-06-2006, 04:45 PM
PS... Could the next lesson be on commas? You see, I'm, addicted, to, commas.

Ok, ok... I'll jump in for Strat (he's not the only grammar freak in the world). In general, a comma should only be used in the following situations:

1. When separating separate (notice the repetition) but related thoughts in the same sentence with the words "and," "so," "but," etc. i.e. "I'm going to ski today, and I hope there's some powder!" However, no commas in such sentences as, "It's cold and windy."

2. When listing three or more things. i.e. "You'll need your skis, boots, and bindings.

3. When beginning a sentence with words such as "however," "therefore," "but," etc. i.e. "However, you'll also want some gloves and a hat."

4. Before quotation marks in a dialogue. i.e. "The lifty said, 'Have a good run!'"

5. After quotation marks if the sentence will continue. i.e. "The lifty said, 'I hope you have fun," as we boarded GMX.'"

Strat... fill in the blanks! I'm sure I missed something.

Next lesson will be the semicolon: a powerful and underused punctuation.

Strat
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Pretty solid rundown Maestro, I'm not sure I can think of any other instances.

However, I did find an excellent link! (http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_big.htm#1)

:P

random_ski_guy
12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, I was hoping we could limit these grammer sessions to one lesson per week. Now you've crammed multiple lessons into a seven day period. I can't keep up at this pace. :lol:

Strat
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Just quickie:
The abbreviaton for et cetera, Latin for "and other things," is etc., not ect... how appropropriate... :wink:
8)

BushMogulMaster
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Just quickie:
The abbreviaton for et cetera, Latin for "and other things," is etc., not ect... how appropropriate... :wink:
8)

I thought about commenting on that, but I decided not to... :wink:

Lostone
12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
What... what are you talking about? :roll: :wink:

My concern was to not screw up splitting the thread and end up with parts over in the Zone, or something.

It was done first thing in the morning, before I had my coffee. And... I screwed up. :oops:

Don't mess with me or I'll edit all your posts to put extra Qs in all your words and complain that you can't spell! :twisted:

:lol:

BushMogulMaster
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Don't mess with me or I'll edit all your posts to put extra Qs in all your words and complain that you can't spell! :twisted:

:lol:

Devious and malevolent you are, Lostone! :lol:

noski
12-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Here you go, Lostone: www.dictionary.com
I figured I would save you the trip to the bookshelf.

freeheel_skier
12-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Here you go, Lostone: www.dictionary.com
I figured I would save you the trip to the bookshelf.

I have that site marked as a favorite....sometimes I am still too lazy to use it.... :oops:

Lostone
12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Heqre you go, Lostone: www.dictionary.com
I figured I woquld save you tqhe trip to thqe bookshelf.

I have it in my Bookmarks, already. I just checked and was astonished to find I don't have a dictionary on my bookshelf. I always had one there, and another at my desk. But when I moved up here, there was only so much room, and as I always have it online, it was one of the more expendable books.

As for using one, I think you should look into it, Noski. If you look at the quote of yours, you can see you really need it. :twisted:

DON"T make me get creative!!! :shock: :wink:

noski
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Heqre you go, Lostone: www.dictionary.com
I figured I woquld save you tqhe trip to thqe bookshelf.

I have it in my Bookmarks, already. I just checked and was astonished to find I don't have a dictionary on my bookshelf. I always had one there, and another at my desk. But when I moved up here, there was only so much room, and as I always have it online, it was one of the more expendable books.

As for using one, I think you should look into it, Noski. If you look at the quote of yours, you can see you really need it. :twisted:

DON"T make me get creative!!! :shock: :wink:

Drat! Foiled again!