PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, 12/5/06

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Date(s) Skied:Reopening day, 12/5/06

Conditions:Pri - Packed man-made Sec - fresh powder

Trip Report:It was so great to feel natural snow under the skis again! It was snowing nearly 1"/hour while I was there (1:45-3:00). Cover was good, considering. Snowmaking continues to blast, and things are only getting better. Got stuck when Summit went down for about 15 minutes. However, since I have a decent understanding of lift equipment, I don't mind. It's actually kind of interesting (as long as it's resolved relatively quickly!). Anyway, the pics are more telling. Also, click HERE (http://www.patricktorsell.com/120506.wmv) for a video of today's adventures (with some quiet holiday music in the background).

Elbow with a couple of inches of fresh stuff

http://www.patricktorsell.com/elbow.jpg

Snow falling at the base, and the Pole Cat is blasting away, along with the SR tripods and the lower towers

http://www.patricktorsell.com/base.jpg

Snow falling--and blowing--on Looking Good

http://www.patricktorsell.com/lookingood.jpg

A very snowy summit

http://www.patricktorsell.com/summit.jpg

tymoguls
12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to get out there myself.

Strat
12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Frosty up there, ain't it! :D

8)

random_ski_guy
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Maestro! Excellent work. :D

For once, things looked better than I expected.

Mike_451
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
What are the typical reasons for lifts shutting down like that? seems to happen quite frequently with the summit chair.....
BTW Great photos and vid......

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 06:57 PM
What are the typical reasons for lifts shutting down like that? seems to happen quite frequently with the summit chair.....
BTW Great photos and vid......

A lot of things can happen. All of the lifts, aside from Sunny D, at ME are relatively modern lifts. These include many safety sensors, including derail sensors, RPDs, and tons of other things. Sometimes when these are tripped it's for a real problem. However, since they are electronic, other electrical issues can trip these sensors and cause an E-Brake stop. In today's case, a bunch of snow fell on the controls outside and hit the E-Brake. Then they had to watch it because they were having trouble getting the E-Brake to "re-pump." Turned out that it was all fine. Anyway... a lot of things can cause a lift to stop. For a very basic run-down on lift maintenance, et. al., check pomagroup.com. They've got a few enlightening PDFs.

ski_resort_observer
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks..cool video. Did you use that video program that comes with XP to produce it?

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Cool Vid. Nice Christmas music....However, I didn't feel compelled to go shopping? :lol:

Lostone
12-05-2006, 09:23 PM
However, I didn't feel compelled to go shopping? :lol:

That's it! YOU!! Out of the country!! :lol:

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
However, I didn't feel compelled to go shopping? :lol:

That's it! YOU!! Out of the country!! :lol:

"Burgermeister Meisterburger: You brats are under arrest.
Kris Kringle: Wait don't arrest those kids. It was my fault I gave them the toys.
Burgermeister Meisterburger: YOU are under arrest" :P :lol:

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks..cool video. Did you use that video program that comes with XP to produce it?

Yep... I'm too cheap to buy the software to actually do it right, but the Windows Movie Maker is a decent quick-fix when you want to throw something together.

Nice Christmas music....

Thanks... it's actually my own arrangement. When I'm not skiing, I'm playing/arranging music.

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks... it's actually my own arrangement. When I'm not skiing, I'm playing/arranging music.[/quote]

Wow!

Seriously :?: That is "awesome :!: Totally Awesome"

Strat
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM

Yep... I'm too cheap to buy the software to actually do it right, but the Windows Movie Maker is a decent quick-fix when you want to throw something together.

Nice Christmas music....

Thanks... it's actually my own arrangement. When I'm not skiing, I'm playing/arranging music.
I thought it sounded originally recorded... I'm assuming the last one was too...
Wanna do a klezmer track for the next one? I can't think of anything better than a powder day video set to some swinging klezmer...

Oh the possibilities...

8)

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I thought it sounded originally recorded... I'm assuming the last one was too...
Wanna do a klezmer track for the next one? I can't think of anything better than a powder day video set to some swinging klezmer...

Oh the possibilities...

8)

Let's do it! Next powder day, I'll take a video. You pick a song, and I'll write a swing arrangement. I'll even write you a solo. Then we record it.

Yes, yes... the possibilities are endless.

Strat
12-05-2006, 10:28 PM

Oh the possibilities...

8)

Let's do it! Next powder day, I'll take a video. You pick a song, and I'll write a swing arrangement. I'll even write you a solo. Then we record it.

With music, they always are...
Not sure if you'll quickly get the message here but the other trail missing from the Lift/Trail Report is Header... the space and the Blue Square are there, right between Valley House Traverse and Gondolier, but no Header...

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
With music, they always are...
Not sure if you'll quickly get the message here but the other trail missing from the Lift/Trail Report is Header... the space and the Blue Square are there, right between Valley House Traverse and Gondolier, but no Header...

I'll see what I can do about that. Like I said, I know the right people :wink:

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 10:38 PM

Oh the possibilities...

8)

I hope the grammar teacher doesn't scold me....I wasn't being facetious...BMM I did dig the mu$ic :D

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I hope the grammar teacher doesn't scold me....I wasn't being facetious...BMM I did dig the mu$ic :D

The grammar teacher might scold you, but it's ok... I still appreciate the sentiment. :D

random_ski_guy
12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I just got a chance to watch this with the sound on. very nice.