PDA

View Full Version : Anticipated Skiing for this Saturday

random_ski_guy
12-04-2006, 09:06 PM
What's everyone's guess for what trails will be open this Saturday?

My guess:
Mt Ellen -
Upper and Lower Rim Run
Panorama (whew-who!)
Elbow
Cruiser
Mainstream
Straight Shot
Looking Good

Lincoln -
Downspout
Lower Jester
Gondolier
Organgrinder
Upper Birdland - maybe?
Lower Organgrinder - maybe?
Murphy's - maybe?

BushMogulMaster
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Hmm, I'm not quite ready to assume lower mountain at ME by Saturday. I know that was the goal, but I think it might be a stretch. However, I could be wrong; I assure you I have been before :wink:

I think your first four on Lincoln Peak are right, and maybe Lower Organgrinder. I don't follow the goings on at Lincoln Peak nearly as closely as ME, so I'm really not sure.

Mike_451
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Top to botom at M/E saturday seems reasonable, it all comes down to how soon the guns come on line on Cruiser, and certainly, all the natural snowfall we can get will help. The temps are great as far a capicity up top, but the colder it is at the botom the more snow they can make in a shorter ammount of time. I seems to me that it will take at least 4 days of snowmaking to bring things down to the botom from scratch, so Probably by Sunday or Monday. If it snows enough, mabey friday. It all depends on Natures Snowgun, and how much they have made up top, as that would dictate when they start moving things down.

We will see tomorow morning if they have started on Cruiser........
Hopefully temps will be in the teens consistantly on the lower mountain.

At Lincoln Peak, it looks like they are working from the botom to the top 8)

It seems to me they are happy with the base at the top, because they were runing servile guns at the botom, if there were thin spots at the top, it seems to me they would have been runing those guns up there instead.

Again, Hope for more natural snow, one nice lake effect dump that lasts a night, could leave enough snow to open quite a bit of terrain, or inspire snomaking efforts on more terrain.

Tin Woodsman
12-04-2006, 10:36 PM
What's everyone's guess for what trails will be open this Saturday?

My guess:
Mt Ellen -
Upper and Lower Rim Run
Panorama (whew-who!)
Elbow
Cruiser
Mainstream
Straight Shot
Looking Good

Lincoln -
Downspout
Lower Jester
Gondolier
Organgrinder
Upper Birdland - maybe?
Lower Organgrinder - maybe?
Murphy's - maybe?

I think you've got ME nailed, if the pics from BMM are any indication, they're already working on Straight Shot.

As for LP, I'd add Lower Downspout, subtract Upper Birdland, and probably Murphy's Glade. Lower Grinder is likely, IMHO.

Bubba
12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Can't imagine they would open LP without upper Jester.

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 09:42 AM
It wouldn't feel right if the trail formerly known as "zip" wasn't open to help spew all that traffic from lookin' good onto L.Rim Run! :P

Tin Woodsman
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Can't imagine they would open LP without upper Jester.

Doh! Good catch.

ski_resort_observer
12-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Actually there is no Upper Jester, it's Jester/Lower Jester :wink:

Lostone
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
It wouldn't feel right if the trail formerly known as "zip" wasn't open

The mountain isn't open until Zip is open! 8)

Strat
12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
My predictions:
Downspout, Lower Downspout, Organgrinder, Lower Organgrinder, Gondolier, Lower Jester, Jester is a possible open Sunday, I'm not so sure about Saturday... tough to cover all those twists and turns, need a lot of guns... I really can't think they can do much more than that, it's definitely frosty up there but I'm not sure that the natural we had is enough... can't say I'm not looking forward to South's opening, always feels like the season's really coming in when Lincoln Peak opens for business...

Oh, and Mt. Ellen:
Rim Run, Lower Rim Run, Elbow, Spread Eagle, the trail formerly known as Zip, potentially Lower Elbow and that little cut through that comes out back at Mid Flats... I remember they opened that last year for a bit of variety and it was an ice sheet... T2B seems just a little far off at this point, but I don't really know...

Mike_451
12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok here is what is going on at Mt Ellen as far as snowmaking.

They had guns on on Upper Rim Run, down to Lower Rim Run to Looking Good, No guns on the rest of lower rim run at this point. Then they were blasting away at Looking Good, and FIS, yes they had every gun on FIS cranking.

Then Down arround the glen house, they had a gun going, and then servile more on the traverse over to Cruiser.

When I downloaded, they were working up Strait Shot, bringing more guns on, and I guess (I don't know as a fact) they were shutting off a few on upper rim run.

At the base they have 4 or 5 guns blasting the very botom of Strait shot, and the Fan gun is running.

Looks like when they are done on Looking Good, they will move on to the bottom of rim run, or start bringing guns on on Cruiser.

I am wondering if they have made the choice of FIS over, Lower Rimrun, It seems to me that if they were thinking that T2B WOULD be close, they would be runing those guns on strait shot now.

Honestly, it was a nice surprise riding up the summit chair, and seeing the tower guns on FIS cranking awawy.

From Wins Indications, it didn't seem like FIS wasn't in the plan.

Tin Woodsman
12-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok here is what is going on at Mt Ellen as far as snowmaking.

Honestly, it was a nice surprise riding up the summit chair, and seeing the tower guns on FIS cranking awawy.

From Wins Indications, it didn't seem like FIS wasn't in the plan.

No, it certainly didn't seem like it wasn't. :lol:

Thanks for the update. Good news on FIS. How did the coverage look on the runs they were hitting?

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 04:54 PM
How did the coverage look on the runs they were hitting?

Upper Rim is mostly good... sketchy in a few spots. Elbow cover is generally good. Lower Rim needs a little more, but is getting there. Another day or two on Looking Good, and it'll be ready. FIS needs a few days (duh...). Mid-flats (by Glen House) has decent cover near Summit lift, but needs some attention down toward Which Way/Cruiser, et. al. The bottom of Straight Shot is coming along, but still needs a few days.

Sorry I don't have any actual measurements, but I gave you the best info I could.

random_ski_guy
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
thanks mogul maestro.

top2bottom sounds like a stretch for saturday then.

Plowboy
12-05-2006, 05:26 PM
If the temps are good and nothing breaks I think T2B will happen sat.

BushMogulMaster
12-05-2006, 05:33 PM
If the temps are good and nothing breaks I think T2B will happen sat.

The next couple of days will be a little warmer in the daytime, and the volume of snowmaking will not be quite as good as it has been. The nights are still great, but since the lines on cruiser haven't been charged, I'm not sure that three days will do it, considering that the guns will likely have to stay on Rim and Looking Good. I'm just not convinced of T2B for Sat. It's not out of the question, but I don't think it's very likely.

Mike_451
12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, a bit of Nautral Snow would shure help? 8)

I don't know if they are planing on hitting the rest of Lower Rimrun, when they are done with Lookin Good, Suposedly they had originally wanted to open it today so they could close off Elbow for those _______ (Mad Lib, Fill in your own negitive word) Racers.

I Hope to see guns online down on Cruiser tomorow, This is getting silly, Honestly Kick the Racrers off of Elbow, Let them set up their Precious Gates on Downspout or something, there isn't enough terrain to justify sharing the mountain with them, Decide to have Rim Run, Looking Good, and FIS, for the Weekend, or Forget about FIS and Looking Good, Lower Rimrun, and start blasting away on Lower Elbow to Cruiser and Strait Shot.

It seems to me that PAYING guests should get priority on the terrain, and when there are 2 or 3 trails open, the PAYING GUESTS should get to ski those 2 or 3 trails. I think they should keep Elbow open to the public, at Least untill there are a few more trails, such as FIS, Lower Rimrun, or Cruiser to the bottom. I know I have a pass, but even with the bad weather tickets, People are still PAYING to be out their skiing.

If they had more snowmaking capacity, this wouldn't be an issue.

Tin Woodsman
12-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, a bit of Nautral Snow would shure help? 8)

I don't know if they are planing on hitting the rest of Lower Rimrun, when they are done with Lookin Good, Suposedly they had originally wanted to open it today so they could close off Elbow for those _______ (Mad Lib, Fill in your own negitive word) Racers.

I Hope to see guns online down on Cruiser tomorow, This is getting silly, Honestly Kick the Racrers off of Elbow, Let them set up their Precious Gates on Downspout or something, there isn't enough terrain to justify sharing the mountain with them, Decide to have Rim Run, Looking Good, and FIS, for the Weekend, or Forget about FIS and Looking Good, Lower Rimrun, and start blasting away on Lower Elbow to Cruiser and Strait Shot.

It seems to me that PAYING guests should get priority on the terrain, and when there are 2 or 3 trails open, the PAYING GUESTS should get to ski those 2 or 3 trails. I think they should keep Elbow open to the public, at Least untill there are a few more trails, such as FIS, Lower Rimrun, or Cruiser to the bottom. I know I have a pass, but even with the bad weather tickets, People are still PAYING to be out their skiing.

If they had more snowmaking capacity, this wouldn't be an issue.

Wow. That's quite a rant. Weren't the PAYING GUESTS able to access all the open terrain today? It wasn't clear from your post.

Mike_451
12-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah Elbow was open today, as it accessed from Rimrun, and leading out onto Lower Rimrun was the only available terrain. They are supposedly planing on closing Elbow as soon as they get looking good open, so basicly half the terain will be closed to the public, Last year when they did this, FIS was open, Lower Rimrun was open, and things were top to bottom, and Elbow could be lived without, but now as they are expanding the terrain, they are closing it at the same time.

My whole point, there just isn't enough terrain to justify closing off a major trail for race training, and offering paying gusts the second narrower way down (not that looking good is a bad trail, it is a great trail, but kind of narrow)

Basicly, They get more acreage, more Snow, then we do with Looking Good.

And Sorry if I have offended any of you racers out there. :oops:

Lostone
12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
For the record, these racers are paying customers. I believe the name is American Ski Racing Association. They pay for a week at Sugarbush. Generally, they get their own trail. This year, because of the conditions, that is not happening, so far.

Note the preceeding was mostly info not obtained thru back channels or rumors, but gathered... in this forum. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
ASRA comes every year and they sometimes come back later in the season as well. Definately paying customers but being a group get a discounted deal. Weekday groups are like gold to a ski resort or any other weekday customer, for that matter. Due to the unusually low trail count I can see where it would cause a problem but I think the Bush got caught between a rock and a hard place. Groups and other wholesale business represent an important income source for the Bush and every other ski resort.

freeheel_skier
12-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Question :?:

Are customers informed @ the window b4 purchasing a ticket that there are trail restrictions/closures?

Bubba
12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
The ASRA camp consists of 40 PAYING guests. Really a non-factor out there yesterday.
Maybe it was the guns and cloud/fog, but I barely saw the campers out there. Or anyone else for that matter.
As far as trail restrictions? C'mon.
Like I said, I barely noticed.

freeheel_skier
12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I didn't think it was that big of a deal either. I was just curious. Not sure if my attitude would be the same if I didn't have a pass.

BushMogulMaster
12-06-2006, 04:28 PM
My latest prediction:

Mt. Ellen:

Panorama
Upper Rim Run
Lower Rim Run
FIS
Elbow
Lower Elbow
Lookin Good

I'm not even going to venture a Lincoln Peak guess. Haven't followed the snowmaking at all.

Tin Woodsman
12-06-2006, 06:08 PM
My latest prediction:

Mt. Ellen:

Panorama
Upper Rim Run
Lower Rim Run
FIS
Elbow
Lower Elbow
Lookin Good

I'm not even going to venture a Lincoln Peak guess. Haven't followed the snowmaking at all.

What kind of effort/time/expense is involved w/r/t getting the lines on Cruiser charged up and ready to go? That's a shame that it doesn't appear likely they'll be T2B for the weekend.

BushMogulMaster
12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
What kind of effort/time/expense is involved w/r/t getting the lines on Cruiser charged up and ready to go? That's a shame that it doesn't appear likely they'll be T2B for the weekend.

I don't know that effort/time/expense is really the issue. I think the goal is to make a good quality base for upper mountain skiing before moving down to lower mountain. I have no problem with this. I'd much rather a solid base on the upper terrain than have it be sketchy the whole way T2B. They'll get it all open soon enough. I'm not much of a Cruiser fan anyway, and I really don't mind downloading (I know, I know... I'm pretty weird :lol: ). I'm waiting for Hammerhead---natural snow, steeps, and big bumps!

But, for those of you chompin' at the bit for T2B, tomorrow night's temps are going to be great, and they should be blasting Cruiser (I hope). Maybe Sunday. If not Sunday, then early week next week.

win
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
This will be quick because I am dashing to a dinner. At Mount Ellen the base temps warmed up so we have decided to concentrate on the top and get All of Rim Run, Upper and Lower Elbow, Looking Good and FIS in good shape for the weekend. FIS should be the only Double Black in the East (?). We will start down Cruiser, but I do not think we will make it unless we get a lot of natural snow or colder temperatures down low tomorrow.

Lincoln Peak will be Top to Bottom. Organgrinder will be in very good shape as will Downspout. Question about Jester. Others doubtful for Saturday. We do have the potential for 2-4" of snow each day and that would help a lot.

Gate House will be open on Saturday, but consider it a Soft Opening. We will still be doing punch list stuff for at least a week. The second floor cafeteria will be open first thing in the AM for breakfast and lunch. We will not have the final menu for a week, but there will be hot and cold food and a good selection. Be nice, though, and do not think it is the final product this first week. The Castlerock Pub may or may not be ready. It all depends on how fast the varnish on the bar top dries and if it needs a second coat. Will know later tomorrow. Even though this week is a soft opening, I think you will all get a very good feel for what the final product is going to look like next weekend. (I am impressed that the crew got this done in 7 months). Timbers is in very good shape for its scheduled opening next weekend as well.

Demo day is this Sunday at ME.

Will update more tomorrow.

BushMogulMaster
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the update, Win. Sounds good to me!

At Mount Ellen the base temps warmed up so we have decided to concentrate on the top and get All of Rim Run, Upper and Lower Elbow, Looking Good and FIS in good shape for the weekend. FIS should be the only Double Black in the East (?). We will start down Cruiser, but I do not think we will make it unless we get a lot of natural snow or colder temperatures down low tomorrow.

I told ya so, right from the start! :P

Of course, I wouldn't complain if it decided to drop below 15 and dump a couple feet. :lol:

Mike_451
12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Well according to the point forcast for the glen houes elevation tomorrow night, there will be a low of 1 degree......
Now how about the temp on the summit? How about that temperature with the wind-chill, I don't want to know.

Sadly, the temps will be marginal even at the mid mountain level, slightly beter at the top, as it will warm up tomorow, but at least not snow killing warm, and well it is cold enough tonight that plenty should be accumulating from the guns, but, thankfully friday and Saturday will be cold, and well to put it this way, things will soften up Sunday, but hey, it will get cold again 8)

HowieT2
12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for keeping us fanatics posted. You and the staff must be having a hectic time to say the least. Although not on the same scale, I was finishing a project on my house this summer waiting for paint to dry and floors to be installed in time for my kids birthday parties. Interestingly, the exterior style is similar to Gate House/ Timbers. Hope mother nature lends a helping hand with a surprise dumping. You certainly deserve it.

BTW- any thoughts about putting some video onto YouTube to promote the new SB?

freeheel_skier
12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Looking fwd to seeing the inside of new Gate House Lodge! :D

random_ski_guy
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Alright, Win emerges from the mountains to post a solid outline of what we can expect for the weekend. Thanks Win.

I was beginning to think that maybe we had scared you away. :wink:

Treeskier
12-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks Win for the up-date. I know a lot of us where hoping to raise a glass in the new Castlerock Pub. If the finish on the bar is not set yet, and I am a believer that when it come to finishes you want them to be really set or they will be ugly for years. Will you offer a alternative and maybe a museum type fenced off quick view of the pub. You know like the 4 foot square roped off area at the door way when you can look into a museum antique room.

From what I've seen Gatehouse and Castlerock pub are a big WOW!

My mother nature bring that Northern storm South!!!!!!

Continuing my snow dance!

BushMogulMaster
12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
FIS should be the only Double Black in the East (?).

I wish. Unfortunately, Killington has at least Downdraft and Cascade. Oh well.... it will still be one of the few double blacks.

win
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Got a curve ball this morning. Sprang a leak in the snowmaking pipe at the very top of Rim Rim and Panorama, so we had to shutdown snowmaking on FIS. Can't get an excavator up there until Saturday morning. They all seem to be working at Stowe where they have had a bunch of pipe breaks. It is marginal for FIS but with some real snow still could open on Saturday, so we have shifted to try to get Exterminator just in case.

Just started snowing and we could get 2-4" tonight and the temperatures are coming down into single digits at the top then warming up again Saturday and Sunday. With this window we will be focused on the bottom of Lincoln Peak tonight.

BushMogulMaster
12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Too bad about the pipes. But I guess it doesn't hurt to get some snow on exterminator.

The NWS forecast is showing about 5-8" at 3000' tonight and tomorrow, so there's hope for some reasonable accumulation.

When I left the mountain today at about 4:00 it was snowing about 1.5"/hour. I'm not sure how long it will last, but it had already accumulated 3-4" on top. Good stuff! :D

Tin Woodsman
12-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Too bad about the pipes. But I guess it doesn't hurt to get some snow on exterminator.

The NWS forecast is showing about 5-8" at 3000' tonight and tomorrow, so there's hope for some reasonable accumulation.

When I left the mountain today at about 4:00 it was snowing about 1.5"/hour. I'm not sure how long it will last, but it had already accumulated 3-4" on top. Good stuff! :D

Radar indicates another hour or so of the intense stuff and then some lighter stuff for perhaps another hour or so. But then the upslope takes over tonight and tomorrow.

If there is truly 3-4" up top as of 4:00, then my guess is we'll see a total of at least 6-8" by noon tomorrow. Possibly more by Saturday morning.

I liiike.

BushMogulMaster
12-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Radar indicates another hour or so of the intense stuff and then some lighter stuff for perhaps another hour or so. But then the upslope takes over tonight and tomorrow.

If there is truly 3-4" up top as of 4:00, then my guess is we'll see a total of at least 6-8" by noon tomorrow. Possibly more by Saturday morning.

I liiike.

It's niiiiiice :lol:

skiladi
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
This will be quick because I am dashing to a dinner. At Mount Ellen the base temps warmed up so we have decided to concentrate on the top and get All of Rim Run, Upper and Lower Elbow, Looking Good and FIS in good shape for the weekend. FIS should be the only Double Black in the East (?). We will start down Cruiser, but I do not think we will make it unless we get a lot of natural snow or colder temperatures down low tomorrow.

Lincoln Peak will be Top to Bottom. Organgrinder will be in very good shape as will Downspout. Question about Jester. Others doubtful for Saturday. We do have the potential for 2-4" of snow each day and that would help a lot.

Gate House will be open on Saturday, but consider it a Soft Opening. We will still be doing punch list stuff for at least a week. The second floor cafeteria will be open first thing in the AM for breakfast and lunch. We will not have the final menu for a week, but there will be hot and cold food and a good selection. Be nice, though, and do not think it is the final product this first week. The Castlerock Pub may or may not be ready. It all depends on how fast the varnish on the bar top dries and if it needs a second coat. Will know later tomorrow. Even though this week is a soft opening, I think you will all get a very good feel for what the final product is going to look like next weekend. (I am impressed that the crew got this done in 7 months). Timbers is in very good shape for its scheduled opening next weekend as well.

Demo day is this Sunday at ME.

Will update more tomorrow.

Would love to have t2b for that. Any chance? Downloading will use a bit of time but , that's life.

Mike_451
12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I think its safe to say, at least 6" from the glen house up! Afterall, at 3:10 or so when I downloaded, there was 3 mabey 4 inches up there allready, and it was dumping harder than the guns could ever dump, and the only way it could be harder, would be those packing foam pellet snowflakes.