PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Day: Old Trails/Names at Sugarbush

Plowboy
11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
now back to "who's skiing on Sunday"?

We are, on Devil's Elbow. But my fav is Royal Tartan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I split this out from the Skiing on Sunday topic b/c it seems to be worth discussing on its own.

- TW

And then, per a request I had, I've made it a sticky. 8) Lostone

Mike_451
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
To bad that Black watch down to Wee Lass and Scotland yard wont be open for a while.
Man o Man, I want to ski The Cliff and yes Royal Tartan is allwayse a wise decision 8)

I have a list of parody names for all the new trail names, who ever named them must have been somewhat peverted because all the trails are so easy to twist into something dirty.

Without beeing too X rated, North Star = Pr0N Star, Everybody knows what people call RimRun, and the rest are all obvious if you think about it, and are to graphic for this forum......

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
When the Bush magically went from 70 trails to 110 trail practically overnight, the most popular new names mostly started with upper and lower ...bet your drooling to take those and run with them....:lol:

Plowboy
11-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Yea, you could take Rim Run to $hitcan to Funnel.

Was there an upper and lower Zip????

Mike_451
11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Man Zip, what a freaking stash......
I don't know if they ever had that upper or lower thing going on, not sure if there was enough room on the trail map......

I think ASC had Upper spread Eagle, Middle Spread Eagle, Spread Eagle Headwall, and Lower Spread Eagle though. :twisted: That with Family Adventure Land, and Godzilla Snow Park, the Gauntlet of Sugarbush........
God I love those flatlanders from New Jersy..........
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Which one is $hit can and Funnel?

On my list Cruiser is Bruiser, The Clifs, Climax, And well, spread eagle is spread eagle :oops:

Plowboy
11-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey, some of my best 2 turns have been on Zip. And, what exit was that??? :P

Chicane(sp) was Roy days(date?) Lower Rim Run

Funnel was from the bottom of Chicane, Zip and Spread Eagle to the Glen House. Lots of turns to be had there. :roll:

Strat
12-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Can't resist dropping a link to my site... I have a website full of old trail maps that will show you guys all the nostalgic names... the link's in my signature.

Mike_451
12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Speaking of old Glen Ellen Trails,
does anybody know what the heck the reason for the trails Donny Brook, and Low road beeing closed off is. I think Low road passes through where the Snowmaking Building is, but you can see Donny Brook, mostly intact with a few downed trees on it through the woods skier left on Strait Shot, This could be quite a nice trail if opened again, and it would take a bit of traffic off of Strait Shot on busy days.

BushMogulMaster
12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Speaking of old Glen Ellen Trails,
does anybody know what the heck the reason for the trails Donny Brook, and Low road beeing closed off is. I think Low road passes through where the Snowmaking Building is, but you can see Donny Brook, mostly intact with a few downed trees on it through the woods skier left on Strait Shot, This could be quite a nice trail if opened again, and it would take a bit of traffic off of Strait Shot on busy days.

You're right about Low Road... it runs right into CB2 (snowmaking building). As for Donny Brook, it crosses the mountain stream down in the gully between Straight Shot and the Inverness area. There isn't a bridge across it right now, and it's a pretty significant brook. So if you wanted to ski Donny Brook you'd have to walk across the gully.

Mike_451
12-01-2006, 08:37 PM
So I guess that is donny brook, There is one other parallel to Strait shot, and there are cut outs vissible before CB2, Was this terrain simpily abandoned? Did the bridge (assuming there was one) wash out or become unsafe, and no funds were arround to rebuild it? This terrain is all pretty interesting.....

Bubba
12-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Holy cow!
What's happened to our public schools???
Spelling? Grammar?
Pretty scary reading some of these posts.

Plowboy
12-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Holy cow!
What's happened to our public schools???
Spelling? Grammar?
Pretty scary reading some of these posts.

U got dat write :lol: :lol: :lol:

BushMogulMaster
12-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Was this terrain simpily abandoned?

I believe that Donny Brook was dropped when SB purchased Glen Ellen. Low Road was dropped sometime in the mid 80's; I'm thinking 1985/86.

Did the bridge (assuming there was one) wash out or become unsafe, and no funds were arround to rebuild it? This terrain is all pretty interesting.....

Obviously, Low Road is gone due to CB2. My guess on Donny Brook is that it had to go when the GMVS building was built, as it appears that its runout was right about in the same spot as the current structure. However, I don't know that for certain.

Mike_451
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Heh, man dis tread be tripping yo HOLA HOLA....
All this started off my comment on Glen Ellen...... :P Funny how spontanious these discussions get......

I right click to spell check the words that are obviously wrong to me, other than that I don't care.

Strats site is a great resource for all the old maps, versus other sites that are loaded with spam.
The Glen ellen names have prety much all been changed, at Sugarbush South they are pretty much the same for the most part, just with alot of the Upper and Lower BS that is arguably justified.

I wonder what the future will hold for the trail names, fourtionatly SV hasn't gone arround screwing with them, infact they have goten rid of all the corny BS that ASC had on the maps, and have re-arranged things a bit geting rid of stuff like Zip, and Spread eagle, for High and Lo Road, Cats Meow, and Easy Does it where Tommys Toy is.

Though specificly I am wondering about the trails at ME that have dissappeared like Donny Brook, and Low Road. It seems to me that Low road has a cut out before the Snowmaking building onto strait shot, and in fact it looks like it has been maintained in recent history, as it has grass on it, and isn't wildly overgrown.

Donny brook could be a quite a nice trail if reopened in the future, I guess there was a bridge that no longer exists, and that beeing the reason for this trails dissaperence. I guess I will have to do some exploring down there, see what can be seen.

I wonder if there are any possibilities of reopenening these trails in the future......

In addition, it seems to me if Donny brook were recut and open, it would would be a nice runout for alot of the tree skiing in the area, and the potential to cut some trails leading into it, from Northstar, or Walts Trail......

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Fat sticks for powder, huge sidecuts for those that want the ski's to do the turning for them, twin tips and front mounted bindings for the hits and terrain park, all mountain ski for those without a quiver sack, short reactive skis for the bumps.....but what skis peform best for skiing Zip. They have to turn fast, very fast. Zip from one trail to the other. :lol: RIP Zipster

For those who maybe need closure on the demise of Zip here is a link to the memorial thread we had last year
http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=22

Lostone
12-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Long ones...

So you can be entering and leaving at the same time! :lol:

I like Zip... or the trail formerly known as Zip. ( :cry: )

I'd always stop before entering it. It isn't an easier trail, you know! It is a more difficult trail. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2006, 11:14 PM
In addition to Strat there is another member, daevious, with sugarbush history stuff, check it out
http://bush.daevious.com/

Strat
12-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Strats site is a great resource for all the old maps, versus other sites that are laded with spam.

Thanks a lot :)

Which other sites are you referring to by the way?