PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right spot for SB point forecasts?

tymoguls
11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to poke around the national weather service web site for the best "spot" to get forecasts for SB. The best I've found is ...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=BTV&llon=-73.047083&rlon=-72.119583&tlat=44.717917&blat=43.792917&smap=1&mp=1&map.x=39&map.y=154

with an elevation of 2932 ft. Is there a better spot to use? If so, I'd be most grateful if someone could psot the URL.

Hoping to hit the slopes for the first time this season on Sunday. :P

Cheers

random_ski_guy
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
yep, thats the spot. the NWS doesn't seem to give us anything higher. i guess they have their reasonable limits on the details.

Strat
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
You won't find anything higher or lower or even really anything close to it, it's not like they have elevation data for every pixel on that map (well they do but it's not incorporated I don't think)... I think it's just a general higher-elevations forecast...

Lostone
11-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been wondering about that. I wonder if there is a mini weather station in the area, at that elevation.

Anyone know?

Strat
11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Well they don't give real time weather stats for that point, just forecasts, so I don't think there's a station, I think the forecasted temps and winds (and snow amounts?) are just adjusted for a higher elevation, and that's the only difference on the page from a forecast page for, say, 800 feet...

If you look at the Lat/Long next to the elevation it only goes to 2 decimal places, so I think it's just some random point represented by many different clickable pixels on the map, that the NOAA has data as being at 2932 ft... if you click a bit north there's a point at 1763 ft, also at a 2 decimal Lat/Long, so I think the elevation points really aren't terribly exact...

atkinson
11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Try this too, http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=05673. It's only 1150', but it seems to be an actual weather station in Waitsfield.

Winter's coming!

John
www.sugarbush.com

Lostone
11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
And I'm wondering if that is also the home of Norm's Webcam (http://www.madriverweather.com:8888/view/index.shtml)? 8)

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
As far as I know the nearest NWS weatherstation is up at the Knapp Airport in Berlin(Montpelier). The web cam is awesome and should show some pretty cool winter sunrises. Glad to see he fixed the caption which used to say, looking east...... Not really important, I guess, as his site is well done and very informative. Anyone know if it's the same Norm of the former Norm's restaurant.

I don't think Norm's and John's link are the same.

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I can never get Norm's cam to open during the day. I'm working with a great internet connection too. I only get to see it at night when their is nothing but darkness. Can anyone with access take a snap shot of his view and post it here for me?

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I can never get Norm's cam to open during the day. I'm working with a great internet connection too. I only get to see it at night when their is nothing but darkness. Can anyone with access take a snap shot of his view and post it here for me?

Has nothing to do with your ISP(internet connection), your missing a plug-in. Maybe Adobe flash. You can also download a diferent browser like Firefox and you should be able to see it then. www.mozilla.org Your not seeing night darkness your seeing it's not opening darkeness.

Sorry, I tried but since it's not a photo(jpg or GIF) can't post it.

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 10:25 AM
really, my browser is the issue? huh, because I can load it up at night no problem, just not during the day. i figured it's a bandwith issue at the source: Norm. After all, who's viewing his cam at night...just me.

Lostone
11-30-2006, 10:30 AM
He didn't try hard enough! :twisted: :lol:

If you hit the snapshot icon, you can save it.
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Mad_River_Valley_Pix/Snapshot_from_Norm_s_webcam_11_30.jpg

Nothing spectacular, today, but better than I expected.

I do think the two sites are related. If not, they are at least linked, off the pages.

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks Lostone! Nice view. Maybe norm has an ISP block against us flatlanders.

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 10:36 AM
lol.....and lostone will be posting the webcam image every hour from now to April.....your the best! RSG what browser are you using, getting firefox is easy to do...then lostone can get some sleep...:wink:

Lostone
11-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Might as well... can't f$%#@*g ski! :roll: :lol:

And RSG, are you not able to get this link? (http://www.madriverweather.com:8888/view/index.shtml)

If not, I suspect it is a block from your side. Maybe the sthml? (I'm assuming you are checking from work?)

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Since at night he advises that he just can see total darkeness tells me it not loading up cause at night when there is snowmaking, like last week, you can see lights on LP from the snowmakers. Plus once in awhile a cow wanders in front of the camera...you don't see the cow but you see the flash from one of their frequent methane releases.... :lol:

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Nope, the link stalls out, nothing loads.

I can surf anything in the world from my office. They don't block anything here. At home I check Norm's at night. The blue camera page loads up and I can see the blinking lights. The page gives you the snapshot ability Lostone used today and there are 4 zoom modes. So, given all that, I think the page loads fine at night.

At some point I might try foxfire or mozilla. Until then, I'll just use Lostone v1.0. :lol:

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
One other things, Norm's weather page loads up fine. I can see all his weather stats and that lonely black cat atop his computer.

noski
11-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Anyone know if it's the same Norm of the former Norm's restaurant..

I know...

...that it's not the same Norm. Keep digging. I know who it is- let's see how much time you can waste at your computer trying to figure it out.....;)

ski_resort_observer
11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
RSG...first of all, firefox is the browser, Mozilla is the company that provides it so I am guessing you didn't even take the time to check the link I took the time to provide you. I'm no computer expert so if I can get firefox running in 5 min I bet you can to. If you do this I bet you will be happy you did...firefox is an amazing browser. Come on...give it a shot! :D

Lostone
11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
you don't see the cow but you see the flash from one of their frequent methane releases

If somone would be there with a strategically placed lighter, we'd really be able to see it on the webcam. :lol:

I also use Firefox. I just checke with IE (Or what I use for such... :oops: ... don't ask! :roll: ) and it asked to download and run a plugin. You might have your browser set to not allow downloads? Most IT departments use that as the default... fro good reason. :wink:

Not only for this page, but I'd also suggest going to Firefox. It is simply a much better browser. 8)

Once you get used to the multi-tabbed browser, you'll stop using IE almost entirely. 8)

Lostone
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh... and Lostone 1.0 has been canceled due to... a lot of internal errors.

We're somewhere around 7.13 now. 8)

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
SRO - you caught me. I didn't even look at Foxfire. I'm using a company laptop, so I don't like to add much after market software to it (although I could). I might give it a shot sometime, but not today.

As for IE Norm's page with IE. I got that plugin message to. The plugin loaded and then I could see darkness with blinking lights when I check the page at night. I can't even get the page to begin to load during the day. I'm convinced old Norm is giving a priority feed to you mtn people. Thats fine, I live.

trtaylor
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
SRO - you caught me. I didn't even look at Foxfire. I'm using a company laptop, so I don't like to add much after market software to it (although I could). I might give it a shot sometime, but not today.

As for IE Norm's page with IE. I got that plugin message to. The plugin loaded and then I could see darkness with blinking lights when I check the page at night. I can't even get the page to begin to load during the day. I'm convinced old Norm is giving a priority feed to you mtn people. Thats fine, I live.

FWIW, I am in the banana belt and can view Norm's web cam fine.

Tim

random_ski_guy
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
huh. then i guess its me.

Mike_451
11-30-2006, 03:24 PM
The cam is java based, make sure you have the latest version of your browser, the lastest java plugins, and that your system software has its latest java updates, and all should work fine.

Seriously, this is a great cam, I can look at myself looking out my window at the snow.

mikec13
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I use IE and was unable to open the page but FORTUNATELY I follow directions and now I can see the feed...No Cows and No Snow :(

random_ski_guy
12-03-2006, 08:18 AM
SRO / Lostone, for reasons unknown I have managed to get Norm's cam to work from my home computer (profile) using IE. Still not sure why it doesn't work using my work profile on the same machine.

Proof:

http://upload4.postimage.org/1814353/norms810am12_3_06.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1814353/photo_hosting.html)

Lostone
12-03-2006, 10:33 AM
I would still guess it has to do with the settings in IE. I've never had separate profiles, but rather separate computers and set them up what ever way comes to me at that moment, and change them as I desire at that moment.

But I suspect that if you go thru the Iternet Options settings, there will be a difference between the two profiles.

Or... Firefox? (Where have I heard that?)