PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Update - Tuesday

win
11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Just came back from Snow Plan. We are going to close for at least Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The team did a great job keeping us open the past few days, but with the warm temperatures now and in the forecast and the high humidity we would be walking at the top of Rim Run tomorrow and it is getting quite thin elsewhere. The forecast is for temperatures to fall sometime on Friday and by Saturday we should have some excellent snow making temperatures for a while and possibly even some lake effect snow. However, the weather could be wild as we make the transition, and we could see some fierce winds. Whether we get open on Saturday depends on this transition. If we can we will, but at a minimum Sunday looks like we will most likely be skiing and riding again. Once open we will have to focus on Rim Rum and Elbow and then will probably go to Looking Good and then move to the bottom. At Lincoln Peak we will be continuing down Downspout to the bottom so we are top to bottom by December 9th. Hopefully, the good snow we have on upper Organgrinder will hold through these days, so we can focus on opening more trails at Lincoln Peak.

Mike_451
11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for putting the word out on a timly basis..... I looked out my window this morning and was wondering if you would even be open today. Elbow was skiing great, perfect corn bumps, and so getting to it was worth it. I had fun today, so thanks to all the grunts who were out shoveling to keep things open.

Makes sense to close anyway, protect what base is left, as there will be plenty of time to ski throughout the season. Thanks for the effort to stay open, and thanks for keeping things open that any other resort would close.

Anyway there is plenty of hope in the latest forcast, so at least that is a almost a sure thing (not to jynx it)

Anyway, I look forward to hearing the guns fire up from my house on German Flats......

That asside, I am wondering if there is any chance in the future of having increased snowmaking capacity at Glen Ellen, seems like that would Give Sugarbush more of an edge in terms of competing with Killington in the early season, and it seems to me that it would increase efficiency of being able to make more of the coldest, driest windows. Also more snowmaking might turn out to be necessary, due to potential Climate Change as long term warm spells, or climate change due to Global Warming.

beelze
11-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Once open we will have to focus on Rim Rum and Elbow and then will probably go to Looking Good and then move to the bottom. At Lincoln Peak we will be continuing down Downspout to the bottom so we are top to bottom by December 9th. Hopefully, the good snow we have on upper Organgrinder will hold through these days, so we can focus on opening more trails at Lincoln Peak.

Assuming the temps cooperate, how long will it take for top to bottom on all trails for which there is snowmaking? Also, as a matter of curiousity, what depth is considered 'deep enough'?

Personally, while the desire for both the mtn. and us passholders to get open is very high, I'd rather see you stay closed until things are in decent shape - enough cover that people aren't trashing their equipment (even if they are rock skis) and more than just two or three runs (especially if only short and at the top) open.

Mike_451
11-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Sounds cool there is a priority to get things Top to Bottom, I am guessing Lookin Good is in the Plan over FIS, is there any Chance of FIS beeing blown as well, or would that be after there is a sound base top to bottom?

Top to bottom on the 9th sounds pretty great, Is there any chance of Lower Organgrinder, and Jester beeing open as well?
Lower deathspout, beeing a bit of a runout is nice, but it would be nice to have a second way down.

smootharc
11-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I am guessing Lookin Good is in the Plan over FIS, is there any Chance of FIS beeing blown as well, or would that be after there is a sound base top to bottom?

it would appear that that particular trail would be best served with quite a bit of help from Mother Nature. Lots and lots of crunchy nooks and crannies, so I imagine it is a trail that would demand a huge amount of snowmaking effort. I'm not speaking from any real knowledge, though.