PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update

win
11-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Just got off the mountain. The quality of the snow is holding up really well. Even though the temps are up, we have low humidity so we are holding the cover well and not losing anything. Baldy is a big sketchy as it has bumped up and the ledge is showing through in the normal areas (stay skiers left) but Elbow is still skiing sweet. We will groom upper rim run tonight and a swipe or two down skiers left on Elbow. This should make it really nice tomorrow.

Our forecasted temps do not look great for snowmaking until mid to late next week. While cold on the valley floor at night, we have had and probably will continue to have an inversion which is not going to allow us to turn the guns on again for a few days. You can see base, mid and summit temps now on our website. Longer term the forecast is better once December begins so keep doing the snow dance.

Should be another nice day tomorrow so get out early!

ski_resort_observer
11-24-2006, 01:56 PM
In the ASC days I think the Bush had a poor rep regarding honest and trueful snow/trail reports, at least that's what hundreds of people told me on the phone. Your honest, "no bull" snow/trail report not only is appreciated by all but I bet it is turning around everyone's attitudes regarding the validity of what they get from the Bush regarding trail conditions.

Tin Woodsman
11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Just got off the mountain. The quality of the snow is holding up really well. Even though the temps are up, we have low humidity so we are holding the cover well and not losing anything. Baldy is a big sketchy as it has bumped up and the ledge is showing through in the normal areas (stay skiers left) but Elbow is still skiing sweet. We will groom upper rim run tonight and a swipe or two down skiers left on Elbow. This should make it really nice tomorrow.

Our forecasted temps do not look great for snowmaking until mid to late next week. While cold on the valley floor at night, we have had and probably will continue to have an inversion which is not going to allow us to turn the guns on again for a few days. You can see base, mid and summit temps now on our website. Longer term the forecast is better once December begins so keep doing the snow dance.

Should be another nice day tomorrow so get out early!

Thanks for the update, Win. Can I ask what "Baldy" is? that's a new term for me with respect to SB.

Lostone
11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Can I ask what "Baldy" is? that's a new term for me with respect to SB.

My guess is that is the top of Rim Run, where there ain't nothing wants to stay?

Love having the temps of the top mid and base of both mountains! :)

ski_resort_observer
11-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Can I ask what "Baldy" is? that's a new term for me with respect to SB.

My guess is that is the top of Rim Run, where there ain't nothing wants to stay?

Love having the temps of the top mid and base of both mountains! :)

Other than the tops of both of our heads...I think you got it! :lol: but what a view you get from there!

win
11-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Lostone got it!

Lostone
11-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Whew! I was afraid it was the top of my head. :(

And I was wondering how SRO knew about the view from up there. :? :lol:

I was also wondering about the ledge showing thru, in places. :shock: Sounds like something my mother used to say about me. :lol:

notorious
11-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Praise and an Observation.

Once again your timely, honest and informative use of this forum impresses me. This level of owner committment to patrons is as gratifying as it is unusual. You are a great leader, Win. That is a skill that few people have. Along with your apparently intuitive sense of employee management and community relations, your committment to properly running a ski resort confirms the decision my wife and I made when we shifted our mountain living from Maine to the Mad River Valley.

And you've got a great mountain to run.

Now for the observation (not a criticism, just an observation).

After reading your comuninque regarding tomorrow's snow, I went to Sugarbush.com to see when lifts would open Saturday. Nope. "Taint there. No opening time. Last lift up times, ...but no starting time. Nor is there one on the snow phone. (This is how the inquiring mind works)
Now,given that the tenor of your message leads to the conclusion that the best snow conditions might be the earlier hours of operation, the actual hours of operation are matters of grave concern to the diehards, obsessives, zealots and assorted other idiots who have chosen your mountain to bless with their ski disease. Aren't you lucky to have us? Treat us right and we'll convince all the other idiots out there who , for unfathomable reasons, have not yet realized that Sugarbush is where they should be, if they ski.
And while we are observing, I observe that getting tomorrow's message on the snow phone and web snow conditions by 5 or 6 pm the night before would be a worthy idea.

BTW, this kind of up-to-the minute (should I say realtime) information could attract many extra ski days out of Burlington area skiers. ("Should I make the trip? Are the conditions worth the effort?"That kind of thinking) Information is King!

If this seems overly fussy, please attribute it to early season snow fever which is more of a psycho/medical problem than the closely related snow lust of mid-winter, although both are easily treatable by administering copius amounts of white powda.

Thank you for being our owner. We promise to be loyal.

Lostone
11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Time I heard for opening is 8:00.

Like to give it to you as concrete, but I honestly have to refer to it as "The plan." :wink:

notorious
11-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks, brutha. Good to know.

BushMogulMaster
11-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Opening is officially verified as 8:00AM for Saturday, 11/25.

BushMogulMaster
11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Also -- the hours of operation are listed on the website, though it's somewhat difficult to find them. Go to "Ski & Ride" then "Tickets & Passes" then "Hours of Operation"

You'll find:

HOURS OF OPERATION

2006-2007 Season:
Mt. Ellen projected opening: November 18
Lincoln Peak projected closing: December 9

Weekends & Holidays:
Super Bravo at Lincoln Peak & GMX at Mout Ellen open at 8 am. All other lifts open at 9:00 am. The last upper mountain chairs are at 3:45 pm, and the last lower mountain chairs are at 4:00 pm. Slide Brook (the connector between Lincoln Peak & Mount Ellen) sends its last chair at 3:15 pm.

Midweek:
All lifts open at 9:00 am. The last upper mountain chairs are at 3:45 pm, and the last lower mountain chairs are at 4:00 pm. Slide Brook (the connector between Lincoln Peak & Mount Ellen) does not normally run during the week.

Lostone
11-24-2006, 09:38 PM
But while we are downloading, the final chairs are earlier.
the last ride up the GMX will be at 2:45. The last ride up the Summit chair will be at 3:15
This is from today's report, but I'm almost certain that will be the same, tomorrow.

Mike_451
11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I have heard the top of MT Ellen reffered to as the "Bald Eagle" as it gets wind scoured pretty easily, I guess that might be where "Baldy" comes from.....

win
11-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Notorious,

Lostone knows where to go to get the times, but you are correct it could be easier. Thanks for the observation. It is a good one.