PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Peak Kids Program

11-21-2006, 01:39 PM
We'll be at the Bush for a week in early March and I want to get my daughter signed up for one of their kids' programs. She'll be 4 by that time and she should have a fare amount of on-slope experience by then. It looks like the Mini Bears program is right for her. Can anyone describe in a bit more detail what goes on? I hear very good thing about Sugarbush's kids programs.

notorious
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
You should contact John Atkinson, a frequent contributor to this forum. He is in charge of kid's programs. He is the best resource imaginable. He just put his sugarbush address on the air in the Kids Programs at Mt Ellen thread. jatkinson@sugarbush.com

11-21-2006, 02:07 PM
You should contact John Atkinson, a frequent contributor to this forum. He is in charge of kid's programs. He is the best resource imaginable. He just put his sugarbush address on the air in the Kids Programs at Mt Ellen thread. jatkinson@sugarbush.com
Thanks. I was considering contacting John privately, but I figured I'd post here too so maybe others can benefit. So John - what's the rundown? :)

smootharc
11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
We'll be at the Bush for a week in early March and I want to get my daughter signed up for one of their kids' programs. She'll be 4 by that time and she should have a fare amount of on-slope experience by then. It looks like the Mini Bears program is right for her. Can anyone describe in a bit more detail what goes on? I hear very good thing about Sugarbush's kids programs.

Sounds like a mean, heartless daddy jettisoning his poor little girl so he can go ski Castlerock. Beast !

Smootharc

P.S. Please make sure your daughter says hello to my two boys, both in season long programs for both Sat and Sun. If you want to say hello to me, please check Castlerock.... :wink:

11-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Sounds like a mean, heartless daddy jettisoning his poor little girl so he can go ski Castlerock. Beast !

Smootharc

P.S. Please make sure your daughter says hello to my two boys, both in season long programs for both Sat and Sun. If you want to say hello to me, please check Castlerock.... :wink:
You understand my thought pattern, eh? We'll be there midweek though so I guess I'll miss you on the 'Rock.

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Greg -

John IS the "man" when it comes to the kid's program's this year but since I volunterred to work at the programs for 4 seasons, when it was busy, the Bush encouraged employees to help in other departments, especially during the holidays so I got a chance to get out of the office and work up there, I hope John won't mind if I throw in my .02 worth. I loved it.

This year the program should be better than ever since they have a better facility to work out of. When I was there they worked out of a little space in the bottom corner of the old Gatehouse Lodge.

You drop the kids off between 8:30-9:00. 8:30 is better than 9. They are divided up into small groups based on ability. They get a 2 hour lesson in the morning, usually 10-12, lunch, which is provided, then after lunch there is another 2 hour lesson. You can do halfday or a fullday. This is not daycare, it's an on the snow program to teach kids how to ski/ride or to improve their skills.

In the past in early March the Bush has hosted a huge group, 800+ people, from Toronto(Sloan group), for several years. If they are coming back and it's the week your gonna be here, I would hope the person you made the reservation with would have mentioned this, you probably want to make a reservation for MB's sooner rather than later. You mightr also know this from the surprisingly lack of lodging availability for a midweek stay in March.

I will now hand you over to the boss....take it away, John. :D

Yard Sale
11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
A bit of a children's program vetran: 3 girls 9, 6 & 3 have been in programs here in the east aswell as out west. Our experience here at SB has been excellent. It's a well organized program, geared toward teaching skiing as well as the enjoyment of the mountain experience. My 9 & 6 year old girls were both in the sugar and mini bear programs quite a bit last year and as a result they both really blossomed as skiers. My 3.5 yr old will be there this year. Life is good when your able drop off your kids and feel confident that they learnig having fun and are well cared for, but good turns to great when your out on the hill with your kids and they have the tools. I Highly recomend an earlier drop off for a smooth transition.

atkinson
11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Thank you very much SRO. Sounds like cross-training is working great. I'm not sure right now which week is Sloan week, but I'm pretty sure they are coming back.

I don't really know what to add, other than you might want to check out our adult programs, Greg. Maybe a Slide Brook tour? It's the least expensive two hour group session we offer and March is generally prime time for the deepest snows. I might even get to be your guide.

We've got other fun ready for you too at the Egan School of Gravitational Enhancement, like clinics for bumps, trees, racing, backcountry skills, etc. What do you want to learn to do better?

John

11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Cool! Thanks everybody.

Thank you very much SRO. Sounds like cross-training is working great. I'm not sure right now which week is Sloan week, but I'm pretty sure they are coming back.

I don't really know what to add, other than you might want to check out our adult programs, Greg. Maybe a Slide Brook tour? It's the least expensive two hour group session we offer and March is generally prime time for the deepest snows. I might even get to be your guide.

We've got other fun ready for you too at the Egan School of Gravitational Enhancement, like clinics for bumps, trees, racing, backcountry skills, etc. What do you want to learn to do better?

John

I'm a bump nut so if I did any clinics, that would be it. Runs like The Mall, Moonshine, Twist, Paradise and the 'Rock are my speed. Not a big BC or tree guy....yet....

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm a bump nut so if I did any clinics, that would be it. Runs like The Mall, Moonshine, Twist, Paradise and the 'Rock are my speed. Not a big BC or tree guy....yet....

I'm gonna assume you simply forgot to put Stein on your list. :lol:

11-21-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm gonna assume you simply forgot to put Stein on your list. :lol:
Yup. Throw Ripcord, Spillsville (haven't had the pleasure yet) and Morning Star in there too. You get the idea... ;)