PDA

View Full Version : Mother Nature's snow

ski_resort_observer
11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
The last 2 nights Mother Nature has put some snow on the mountain, unfortunately the upper mountain was in the clouds and most of ME so I bet it's snowing up there. One can be optimistic, can't they! I also wanted to get a pic of the northside of Gatehouse Lodge plus some closer shots of Claybrook as I am getting tired of photographing the same pics everytime. BTW is was lightly snowing at the base when I was there.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album15/bush1.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album15/bush5.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album15/bush7.jpg

rest of the pics
http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album15&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

random_ski_guy
11-19-2006, 12:56 PM
nice shots, great new angles... much appreciated.

i think i'm liking the look of the new lodge more than claybrook. does anyone in the east have a day lodge as nice as this? i can't think of any at the moment. jiminy peak and windham come to mind, but i don't think they have the details this will have. i guess there is jackson gore at okemo, there's one.

you, lostone and noski really no how to keep the people happy. another hearty thanks! :)

ski_resort_observer
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Win/John - I heard that the upper mountain has gotten 4"-6" of snow over the last 3 days. Is that true?

noski
11-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Win/John - I heard that the upper mountain has gotten 4"-6" of snow over the last 3 days. Is that true?
They'll get back to you as soon as they finish their apres-ski celebration.

Mike_451
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Things where looking pretty white today, especialy up on North Lynx, and there was a nice chunk of natural accumalation at ME. I am seriously thinking of taking a hike tomorow and I will take my camera with me if I do. I am not wating for them to spin up the GMX if unless I absolutly Have To.

Strat
11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Word has it that interestingly South got substantially more out of this little squall than North did... well all snow is good snow.

8)

Lostone
11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, if South got more, and if there is 3", it has to be really close to the top, as it looked during my walk, today.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album07/100_1370c1_a.jpg

Of course, every bit helps the cause. 8)

ski_resort_observer
11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
It seems we have not seen the summits for at least a week. Tomorrow's sunrise should be spectacular, hoping to be out photographing. I thought the 4"-6" sounded abit optimistic.

freeheel_skier
11-20-2006, 10:13 PM
From a pessimist standpoint....optimism is good! :D

atkinson
11-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I haven't been up yet to see how much fell, but Lincoln Peak definitely got more snow than Mount Ellen and MRG. The difference was dramatic from across the Valley yesterday afternoon. The trails at Mad River weren't covered at all, just some rime on the trees. And oddly, North Lynx is whiter than Castlerock. The micro-features along the ridge have been working their magic it seems.

4-6" could be optimistic, but not that crazy, especially in certain locations. Dawn patrol maybe tomorrow, if so, I'll post an eye-witness report.

John

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey John...thanks for your reply. I was out and about early this morning and sat in my car for about an hour hoping the summits would finally come out of the clouds but it was not to be. I might go out again around 10AM to see if the summits have been set free but since I usually don't photograph after 10AM this time of year if the summits are still socked in it's another early morning tomorrow.

Your right about the really specific snow accumalation the past few days. It looks like the south end of the valley got the most as my friend up on Plankton Rd, just before Blueberry Lake got 3"while my friend who lives at 1800' closer to Waitsfield got nothing. Amazing it can be that localized.

Lostone
11-21-2006, 09:23 AM
It looks like the south end of the valley got the most as my friend up on Plankton Rd, just before Blueberry Lake got 3' :shock:

Three feet!!! Wow! There was quite the divergence of snow amounts! :lol:

smootharc
11-21-2006, 09:37 AM
I was out and about early this morning and sat in my car for about an hour hoping the summits would finally come out of the clouds but it was not to be.

....around and wait for summits ?

My turkey fryer (located in my garage) has been heating up since Sunday, and has now reached 3800 degrees. On thursday I toss a bird in, wait 22 seconds, done !

Stop sitting, people. Mash, stuff, squash, and mix ! :lol:

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2006, 10:53 AM
It looks like the south end of the valley got the most as my friend up on Plankton Rd, just before Blueberry Lake got 3' :shock:

Three feet!!! Wow! There was quite the divergence of snow amounts! :lol:

OK..now I know what your PM was referring to...ROFLMAO

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I was out and about early this morning and sat in my car for about an hour hoping the summits would finally come out of the clouds but it was not to be.

....around and wait for summits ?

My turkey fryer (located in my garage) has been heating up since Sunday, and has now reached 3800 degrees. On thursday I toss a bird in, wait 22 seconds, done !

Stop sitting, people. Mash, stuff, squash, and mix ! :lol:

Referring to the summits of LP and ME which have been in the clouds for at least a week now. I don't know which is more believable, 3 feet of snow in the valley or the temp of your fryer....:lol: