PDA

View Full Version : Burlington Free Press

ski_resort_observer
11-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice article about the Bush on the front page of the Burlington Free Press today
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061119/NEWS01/611190308/1009&theme=

HowieT2
11-19-2006, 11:13 AM
That's great but this week's sunday NY Times devoted the Travel section to skiing including an article about what's new at resorts for the season, and there was no mention of SB. That's not good.

notorious
11-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Nice article. The guy from Moretown didn't need to be so crotchedy, though.

Myself, although the scale of the Claybrook buildings viewed from below on the access road and parking lot entrance remains jarring, I otherwise am impressed by how well the project works.

The Gatehouse cannot help but be a huge improvement, and the (quasi) timberframe aesthetic is great. It would be inappropriate to have built a base lodge as posh as Two Elk at Vail; or Seattle Ridge at Sun Valley. What is being built is just right for New England. Fit out will be key, IMHO.

The village plaza created between Claybrook, Timbers and Gatehouse is wonderful. It will be THE place to meet our ski possees. I'm hoping that there will be a high test coffee stand and outdoor pub seating with propane fired heaters. Creature comforts are a good thing. The Creator wouldn't have given us pleasure if we weren't meant to use it. (Isn't that what skiing is, after all? Part of the pleasure principle?)

Timbers exterior is simply splendid.

The barn theme works. The Claybrook units are impressive. Wondering who is doing the staging. Very tasteful, with a touch of authenticity.Nice

I agree with the corporate message. In the end, Claybrook, Timbers and Gatehouse make for a better package at this time than the Lodge at Lincoln Peak would have. It has been exciting to watch the progress. I also sense that there is a coherent vision of possible future development when this all proves successful, and I am confident that the future will be as respectful of the Valley Aesthetic as the present .

I have full confidence in the owners. It takes good owners to make a great resort. As the el cheapo stuff done at certain competitors deteriorates at an accelerating rate, what is being done here will will prove magnetic. Quality works.One would think that the ski press would be providing better coverage. I guess we all should provide word of mouth. Its taken more seriously than press by our friends anyway. Street buzz works.

Tin Woodsman
11-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Good article. The barn theme definitely works, but it can get lost in the enormity of the project relative to the other structures in the base area. What SV needs to do, once appropriate financing is in place, it to build a slightly larger skier services bldg than planned with a little more housing up top in order to break up the the size of Clay Brook. As the other buildings get built on the north edge of the parking lot, you can then step down in height gradually to help accomplish this goal. Something needs to be done about this, otherwise you risk creating SB's answer to Sugarloaf's "oh my gosh" corner, but in a much more negative way upon arrival in the parking lot.

win
11-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Tin, are you reading our minds?

Fear not about the NYT. We will be in it before too long!

Tin Woodsman
11-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Tin, are you reading our minds?

Fear not about the NYT. We will be in it before too long!

I'm freaky like that. Believe!

Actually, my guess is that Clay Brook ended up looking a little bigger once built that anticipated in the renderings. There's no other way to "shrink" it to the eye of the visitor than to build up around it. Obviously you can't do that on the south side of the structure, so it has to start from the skier services bldg and go from there. From what I recall, the skier services bldg was intended to be slightly larger than the new Gatehouse Lodge. I'm thinking it's going to need to be something like 50,000-60,000 sq ft to make Clay Brook look like it fits into the base area, with at least three stories. If sales at Clay Brook are going well, then the extra residential can be supported. I sure hope so - it's a great way to bring in revenue without substantialy increasing the number of skiers crowding the hill. Thereafter, you step down with slightly smaller buildings on the north edge of the lot and suddenly Clay Brook seems to just fit into a wider community of structures without standing out so much.

win
11-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Claybrook was designed as Phase I of a several phase build. The architect originally had us doing the Guest Service Lodge (aka family center first), but it made more sense to us to do Gatehouse so that are would be totally free of construction once done. It just wasn't possible to do all at the same time without being terribly disruptive to our guests. Claybrook fits well into the context of the full build out. I have a conceptual drawing in our office if you ever want to see it. Also remember that the lanscaping is new. The Sugar Maples will grow to 50-75 feet and the evergreens will grow as well, so in a few years the landscaping will also put the building more into perspective with what is around it. When everyone sees the courtyard between Claybrook and the Gatehouse, I think it will impress. I am!

Also Phase I completed a tremendous amount of site work and infrastructure and envrironmental work that can be leveraged with the future buildings. A lot happened that is not totally transparent to the casual visitor that sets the stage for the future.

Tin Woodsman
11-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Claybrook was designed as Phase I of a several phase build. The architect originally had us doing the Guest Service Lodge (aka family center first), but it made more sense to us to do Gatehouse so that are would be totally free of construction once done. It just wasn't possible to do all at the same time without being terribly disruptive to our guests. Claybrook fits well into the context of the full build out. I have a conceptual drawing in our office if you ever want to see it. Also remember that the lanscaping is new. The Sugar Maples will grow to 50-75 feet and the evergreens will grow as well, so in a few years the landscaping will also put the building more into perspective with what is around it. When everyone sees the courtyard between Claybrook and the Gatehouse, I think it will impress. I am!

Also Phase I completed a tremendous amount of site work and infrastructure and envrironmental work that can be leveraged with the future buildings. A lot happened that is not totally transparent to the casual visitor that sets the stage for the future.

I'd love to see that drawing. Seems like the plans for the Guest Services Center are in a state of flux, or at least have been so since you changed up the order of construction. Would it be fair to say that the size of the bldg and the amount of residential within will be in part determined by the response you ultimately get for Clay Brook?

I hadn't even sonsidered the ability of the landscaping to help Clay Brook meld into its surroundings. Hopefully I'll be around with my kids when those trees reach those heights!

random_ski_guy
11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to say that I can't help but read any post by Tinny in Borat's voice. Two big thumbs up (this is long overdue) on the avatar pic.

castlerock
11-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to say that I can't help but read any post by Tinny in Borat's voice. Two big thumbs up (this is long overdue) on the avatar pic.

LOL. Much very good

Tin Woodsman
11-19-2006, 09:52 PM

It's niiiice.

In Kazakhstan, we strap feet to both wives to slide down hill. Big mountain man make romantic explosion!!!!!!

Hi fiiiive!!

smootharc
11-20-2006, 08:30 AM

It's niiiice.

In Kazakhstan, we strap feet to both wives to slide down hill. Big mountain man make romantic explosion!!!!!!

Hi fiiiive!!

smootharc
11-20-2006, 08:40 AM
The guy from Moretown didn't need to be so crotchedy, though.

as I wanted a "Days Inn - Sugarbush Base Area" for $29.95 a night. Now that could have looked NICE !!!! :wink:

As long as some aesthetic comments are coming out, as they have been, I must say I'm feeling things are looking nice, and a few of the "jury is still out" things like the silo have been, imho, a success. One thing to remember is that you'll be looking at CB lodge's "backside" from the parking lot for all of 30 seconds walking in each morning, and not at all as you walk to your car at the end of the day. The rest of the time, you'll be experiencing Claybrook from the "frontside".....the slopes, and in relation to and around the new day lodge....and that visual experience, I believe, will be really, really nice. You'll be even with or a bit above that area, looking downish and across at things....and the imposing quality from the parking lot will be entirely different.

And finally, Claybrook stands out as a bit of an intense "volume" from the parking lot right now.....and that changes. Imagine the phase two building's volumes being added to that entire area, and I believe that "alone and imposing" feeling of CB visually will go away. The whole shebang will rock, visually, according to my spatial sensibilities.

I'm not just a faux-architect....I play one on TV. :lol: