PDA

View Full Version : Marketing ideas ?

smootharc
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Some threads here have touched upon marketing and ideas to "get the word out" about SB (and the valley).

Idea #1:

There are two things I think would be potentially great marketing tools for SB. The first would be a great DVD of SB, past, present, and future....and the valley in general. Interviews with old timers and the greats. Action clips all over the mountain gotten on prime days. Perhaps even the MRV chamber would get on board regarding the promote the valley part.....all the great events that go, basically, year round....the rivers, the soaring, the hiking, the arts. Ski-wise, the terrain, the skiers, the little kids catching snowflakes on their tongues while drinking cocoa and schussing down the white blue yonder....from gnarly to nice....would open some eyes. Mention SB isn't that much further to come to avoid the traffic, congestion, bars packed with captains of industry blowing hot air up eachother's skirts. Whatever. The anti-McMountain and anti-McMountain town experience.

A model for this could be Aspen, Buttermilk's, Aspen Highland's DVD done a few years back by Greg Stump. It's about an hour +/- long, and is just great. Absolutely an awesome marketing tool. I think once you produce these things, then the cost to print 'em up goes down to almost nothing (I assume) if you order a batch of a gazillion. I may be wrong. I'm sure just professionally producing one of these would be $$$'s. (Would a local photographer/videographer throw in some work for a plug ?). But do it once, and use it forever. Once you have one of these baby's in hand, then hand them out at with each lift ticket sold. have them bound into the marketing materials in a clear sleeve. Have a button on the homepage that says "Click here for your free Sugarbush DVD!". You gather names, addresess, and e-mail addresses and build a good marketing list. Another button could be "Send one to a friend !"....hence even more names. And when someone (and friends and family) watches these things....you've got a marketer's dream - a captive audience. Put one on the pillows along side the chocolate at the Sugarbush Inn. Have them in the Condo rental "Welcome" packs. Put 'em in a bowl on the bar next to the peanuts.

The idea here isn't blatant "sell, sell, sell".....it's more let's tug at the hearts and souls of skiers.....and show (don't tell) why we're different. Cool tunes, using local talent, would be great. I can picture the first line....that voice over narrator guy who we've all heard but nobody's ever seen...."Most people don't know there's a place on the planet that's just a bit different....a place where things are just a bit sweeter". Yadda, yadda, yadda.....

Any magazine print advertising and printed marketing materials could point the DVD out....."Just call toll-free" for your ski dvd. And it would be a good PR tool where you could probably get some free mentions in the ski press.

Anyways, maybe I'm all wet but it's an idea.

Idea #2:

See Jay Peak's interactive trail map with helmet cam clips of folks skiing certain trails. Awesome idea, in my opinion. Boost up the SB trail map with similar clips, and perhaps helicopter images of the terrain pods. I love that guy Niehues, but by definition, from a purely informational stantpoint, he has to reduce and eliminate terrain information.

That's all out of me. I've gotta get back to marketing my own business....my oldest will be entering college in, uh, 10 years..... :lol:

Bubba
11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
There is a video that was produced for the 45th birthday party. It airs sometimes on ch 12. Maybe touch it up a little, add some Claybrook.

I like the idea of the helmet cam views of trails on the website.

But, what do I know? I'm just a ski bum.

noski
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
I think (Win, help) Sugarbush has a DVD and has toted it off to recent ski/board shows in the US and London. It touches on the Valley, etc. I think once Claybrook/base area ceases being a construction zone, a new dvd could perhaps be done where Sugarbush doesn't look like a perpetual construction zone. Not sure how else it is being used at this point.

The chamber was approached to do a project like this during the Fall and we seriously discussed it- partnering with Sugarbush & MRG- it would be aired as a segment on a travel program and would be licensed to us to use as a p.r. tool. We mutually agreed that we did not want Sugarbush-under-construction to be what people saw on television for the next two years (as they repeat airings). The production company agreed this was a good approach and will contact us this coming summer to re-enter discussions.

The chamber has partnered with the State of Vermont Tourism Dept to place some print ads in Boston Mag, Outdoor, and CT Magazines for winter placement- sharing space, cost, and sharing message. That message is Come to Vermont, and specifically MRV....

Smooth- thanks for suggestions.

win
11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I won't reply to marketing ideas on this site because that can tip our ideas to the competition. But I am reading them and will think about all good ideas.

However, since this is out, we do have a new DVD that we are using for marketing this year and giving away at various shows, ski council meetings etc. If we have some left, we will give them to season passholders first come first serve during the season. It has good stuff and is also promotional after what is available at the Bush! Basically takes the place of a catalogue.

Thanks!

bill-now
11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Why are the "View Our Progress" photos on the www.lincolnpeakvillage.com website so small? I would think that most people who can afford these units would have a high speed internet connection. The low resolution photos do not do this project justice.

P.S. I would love to see some interior photos of the fully furnished model unit.

bill-now
11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
You must have read my mind, very nice photo update.

Lostone
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
See Jay Peak's interactive trail map with helmet cam clips of folks skiing certain trails.

So I can see people looking at my run with the helmet cam...

"Wow! That tree came close to us. That branch just missed us! That one didn't miss us! Now there is a crack across the screen. Wow! The snow just jumped up and covered the camera! Now we can't see anything but snow!" :shock:

Oh fine! You're going to let someone else ski with the helmet cam! :cry: :lol: