PDA

View Full Version : the official 06/07 MRV restaurant/bar report

ski_resort_observer
11-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Even tho there is an old "favorite restaurant thread" I thought a new thread with comments about a valley restaurant/bar you recently went to throughout the upcoming ski season would be helpful.

Lots of changes in the restaurant/bar scene around the valley in the past year or so. Rosorita's, Spotted Cow, Arvad's et al, Tucker Hill Steak House and the Blue Tooth are gone. Probably others I am forgetting.

The Young family who ran the restaurant at the Waitsfield Inn(breakfast only) recently took over the Bass Restaurant serving breakfast and dinner. We went there yesterday for breakfast and just like their operation at the Waitsfield Inn they offer great food at very reasonable prices. We had excellent service and the interior of the place is gorgeous.

Lostone
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Good idea. 8)

Nice to hear of anyone's recent experiences. Good resource for those thinking of visiting, along with the favorites. Expecially as some of the faves have changed ownership and possibly staff.

By the way, for those not in the historical loop, the "old Bass" is now the new Country Flair?

Saying the old Bass is like saying "Turn left where the green house used to be." :wink:

ski_resort_observer
11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Noski, lostone and I had lunch at Jay's yesterday. If your looking for a good family type restaurant with good food at good prices then Jay's is the place. Unlike the restaurant merry-go-round we sometimes experience in the eatery biz here in the valley, Jay's has been here, at the same location for a longtime.

It must be a good place cause awhile back some lady put her car thru the front plate glass window apparently not wanting to waste time parking and waiting to be seated.. :lol:

castlerock
11-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Noski, lostone and I had lunch at Jay's yesterday.

I'm surprised the paparazzi weren't there with all the celebrities all gathered in one place.....Back to mascara mountain!

Lostone
11-22-2006, 10:26 PM
They tried to chase us down, but Vera is real fast. :wink:

And who told you about my mascara? :x

They were supposed to keep that a secret! :cry:

My comment would be it was a pretty good lunch with very good company. :)

(That should be good for a few brownie points.) :lol:

WWF-VT
12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Has anyone been to Country Flair for dinnner ?

madskier6
01-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Has anyone been to Country Flair for dinnner ?

I went to Country Flair for dinner with the wife and kids last winter. The food was very good and the prices generally reasonable. The service was good as well. I haven't been there recently but I would recommend it.

ScoobySnack
01-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Had dinner at Country Flair a few times, most recently on New Year's Eve. They are excellent. Great prices and terrific food. The staff was very friendly as well. I don't know why that place is not more crowded.

walks
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
You guys went to Jay's! How was the tree skiing. Bet it was dumping there.

ski_resort_observer
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Since this is food related I am putting this post here. I got to spend some time upstairs at Gatehouse Lodge last Sat helping with the kid's pizza/movie event. Got a tour of the kitchen and it is so nice when compared to the old kitchen. The cook for the event, "the Sugarbush pizza guy", did a great job and is loving the new workspace. In past years you could get his pizza at the Valley House a few days a week but not too many people went there.

I was amazed at the quality of the pizza, they were as good as your going to get from a good pizzeria. He makes them just like they do, the days of the microwave pizza's are over at Gatehouse :smile: and the pass thru oven works great when you need to put out alot of pizza's quickly.

Anyway's the kid's really chowed them down and we passed out alot of extra slices. The floor they put down to take care of the slipping looks great.

It was also cool that the Castlerock Pub was packed and I was also very happy to seeing people walking about, swimming in the pool, going in and out of Timbers. In the past we all referred to the base area at night as the "dead zone". Going from no vibe to the new vibe at night, is a wonderfull thing.

Over the years somehow connecting Sugarbush Village to the Gatehouse area is something I have wanted too see for years. As LPV developes towards Sugarbush Villege maybe in a few years that can happen. Like most issues it looks alot easier said than done. The fact that Sugarbush(the resort) does not have ownership regarding Sugarbush Village is but one of the sticky wickers that needs to get worked out.

Bringing the post back to pizza a few years ago we had a pizza place in Sugarbush Village but like many businesses that tried to get going there it didn't last very long. That could be another thread, what businesses opened and closed over the years in Sugarbush Village?

walks
01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I was in the lodge today with the kids and had to get them something to eat. Although I did not get the pizza it looked great. Almost bought a slice to try it out.

Other than Flatbreads I have not had a good slice of pizza in the valley for a long time. Ordered pizza a couple of weeks ago from somewhere (Choosing to leave the establishments name out) and it was the worst pizza I have ever had. Would rather have cooked Ellio's frozen pizza.

Maybe they could do some kind of take-out at the mountain. I need a great slice.

Lostone
01-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Other people might disagree, but I am in favor of saying when you get good food and good service, but also, when you get bad. People should be warned, and if an establishment doesn't want their place get bad reviews, they should have good food and good service.

They still might get bad reviews, because there are always whiners, but if the review is out of line, others will chime in and say they've done well, there. :wink:

And to keep from being sued, you might want to say something like the cardboard stuff we got fromthat place whos name sounds like zominos. :lol:

And by the way, I would also suggest you try the pizza at the mountain. If I'm working, and am not skiing, during my playtime, I'll have a sandwich, but if I'm skiing, I'll leave myself enough time for a piece of pizza. Been good every time I've had it. :)

freeheel_skier
01-15-2007, 09:06 PM
The place I go to get a "whole pie" is great.....and they have the best eggplant rollatini!!! :D And great service :)

Lostone
01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Somebody's got to take a stand on eggplant! And I'd rather stand on it than eat it! :shock: :lol:

Uh... :oops: But you didn't tell us where that place was, or what it's name is. :?

Sounds like... :lol:

freeheel_skier
01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Somebody's got to take a stand on eggplant! And I'd rather stand on it than eat it! :shock: :lol:

Uh... :oops: But you didn't tell us where that place was, or what it's name is. :?

An Italian greeting....eh errr ahh....plural :lol:

bongiorno

walks
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Lostone, Still would rather not bash establishments in the valley by naming in a public forum. Bad food will always be found out. It is just my opinion. My taste, I am sure, differs from others. Would rather give suggestions on finding a better slice of pizza. Again, wish the mountain would do take-out during the evening hours. Wish Flatbreads would do take-out as well.

thanks for the review on the pizza at the lodge. I will try it the next time I am in there.

If anyone get sued for bashing, give me a call. I have a great lawyer. :D

Lostone
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I hear you on not wanting to bash any establishment in an open forum, but my thoughts are this is a review thread, and the more honest reviews we get, the more useful it would be.

Still I respect your not wanting to put up a negative review, and should you see the SkiMRV van following you around, you don't have to worry about a bunch of guys jumping out and trying to beat the info out of you. :lol:

ski_resort_observer
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Would rather give suggestions on finding a better slice of pizza. Again, wish the mountain would do take-out during the evening hours. Wish Flatbreads would do take-out as well.

thanks for the review on the pizza at the lodge. I will try it the next time I am in there.

If anyone get sued for bashing, give me a call. I have a great lawyer. :D

Since getting take out at Gatehouse or Flatbread will probably never happen I have an alternative for ya. The Warren House does a great pie and even delivers to LP area. I have never had one but I asked around today and they all gave it a big thumbs up. I was also told that if the WH is not busy you can order other entrees and they will deliver those too. If you or anyone else does partake be sure to let us know how it was.

Lostone...you live right around the corner...what say you? Ever had a pizza at the Warren House?

Lostone
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I haven't tried them, but they left a flyer in the entrance of my building. It not only talks pizza, lasagna for not only take out, but delivery to the mountain. It says Fridays, Saturdays and Holiday weeks.

skiladi
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM

I had an awesome eggplant with chevre at Timbers. Yumma.

01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
What time does the CR Pub close? Is there a bar in Timbers?

bill-now
01-18-2007, 12:18 PM

According to the bartender the CR pub closes when the last person leaves.

Yes, Timbers does have a bar.

01-18-2007, 12:26 PM

According to the bartender the CR pub closes when the last person leaves.

Yes, Timbers does have a bar.
Just curious. Hope to be up there around 9 pm and would like to stop in for a beer if they're still open.

freeheel_skier
01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I think CR will be closed by 9pm.

01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
That's what I would expect. So, what's everybody's recommendation for a place in town for a "post-long drive unwind beer"?

ski_resort_observer
01-18-2007, 01:27 PM
That's what I would expect. So, what's everybody's recommendation for a place in town for a "post-long drive unwind beer"?

I just called the CP and they will not be but the bar in Timbers should be. Maybe the Hyde-Away?

Plowboy
01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Hyde-Away for sure.

ScoobySnack
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I go for the Purple Moon.

Tin Woodsman
01-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Wait a second, you guys are forgetting the premier late night post-drive booze stop. Of course I could only be referring to D's Doghouse.

noski
01-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Wait a second, you guys are forgetting the premier late night post-drive booze stop. Of course I could only be referring to D's Doghouse.

ah geeze.... sounds like you have been in the 'doghouse' more than once..... :wink:

noski
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
The Very Small Donut Company is under NEW ownership and the hearty sandwiches that we came to love when Ashley and Matt owned it are back. They have cleaned and reorganized the space and have smiling, pleasant counter staff. Tell Kim "Susan Roy sent me".

Also, I hear wonderful things about the new Spotted Cow. Hearty breakfast beginning at 7:30am and lunch at affordable prices.

mattlucas
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Just an opinion here, but I stopped by country flair for dinner and definitely missed the old bass.
Breakfast was really good, but dinner was just boring overcooked pasta and such.

What is the best place for a bowl of pasta in the Valley? Maybe Egans?