PDA

View Full Version : Warren Miller's "Off the Grid"

mikec13
11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I am not sure this belongs here but...

I have been taking my son to the Warren Miller movies for the past seven years...it gets us both excited about the upcoming season...a few years ago Warren sold the company to Time Warner and the films have not been the same since...last years movie was horrible...it was like watching one commercial after another...the product placements were so forced it was nauseating...FORTUNATELY things changed this year...the movie was great...the only product placements are Jeep and Corona...the Jeep placement is fine and the Corona placement is natural...some neat footage of Kashmir, India...Several scenes in Alaska and a nice tribute to Doug Coombs...Another big improvement was the narration...after the sale, the production company seemed to be hiding the fact that Warren was no longer involved...they would insert some of his classic lines and it always seemed forced...this year Jeremy Bloom subtlely narrates and old Warren clips are used appropriately...I would highly recommend the film to anyone!

The only thing missing was John Egan...maybe next year!

SKI-SAN
11-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I wasnt aware that Warren sold the company.. that is sad. I love his movies too and have most them in my collection. I had noticed that more and more products were be brandied about. Nissan and nature valley stuff.. it was a bit obnoxious, the damn advertisers will find some way to jam their products on us one way or another. :x Well at least you said this years movie wasnt so bad.. but its not going to be the same with someone else narrating, Warren has a great voice.