PDA

View Full Version : The Locking of Allyns lodge ???

ahm
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Win/Hardy, et al.,

What is up with locking Allyns lodge ? Many, many hikers stop in the lodge to get out of the weather during fall/winter hikes. Since Hardy came to town, we seem to want to lock everything-Glenn House, even bottom of ME baselogde has been locked on occassion. It's an interesting approach, especially since SB wants to market itself as a backcountry and adventure hill, but locks out adventurer's and frowns on ski tourers. Starks nest, in case you go up there ever, is not locked, nor are the lift shacks--other places hikers may use sometimes to get out of the weather. Being up on the hill on Saturday and finding Allyns locked, was not surprising, just a disappointment. Could damage be the reason ?? Possibly, but most hikers are pretty considerate, and since you need to hike 1500 vert minimum to get to Allyns, the casual partier is typically not up for that level of effort. With the winter coming, and hikers and ski tourers out on the LT and other areas it might make sense to revist the policy of locking lodges such as Allyns. After all, if someone really needs to get in, they break in and that will cost a whole lot more than a bit of clean-up from a few power bar wrappers left on the floor. Also, sometimes, snowmakers and cat drivers use the lodge for the bathrooms, so let's consider if we need the hardened steel lock on the door. Thanks.

10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
If vandelism or liability is the issue then maybe a card key system for Allyn's, to allow off season or after hours access to passholders and pre-registered [non-passholder] guests.
Just a thought.

Strat
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Just saying, the service roads are definitely drivable to any car with a fair bit of clearance... the average partier on a mission could easily get up there if they'd like to... I know people who have...

Mike_451
10-27-2006, 01:56 AM
kind of stinks, great place to hike to durring the summer, but I haven't hiked up recently because of the construction. This is kind of odd, for a town where some people don't even have dead bolts on their houses, and some still leave the keys to their car in the ignition.

It makes sense to leave it unlocked, simply as shelter for hikers who get caught up in sketchy weather, not just early winter conditions, but even thunderstorms durring the summer.

Though, then again Sugarbush does need to secure and protect their facilities.

Heh, the mysterious partys in the glen house, and Alyns...... Knowing some of the people, the partys ain't so causual..... Thats all I will say about that. I am guessing the resort has found out about something that they didnt like.

win
11-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, vadalism and theft are becoming more common. We and others around the Valley have become more of a victim of these over the past year and it has been costly and a nuisance when we have to take staff off of other more important tasks to fix and clean up. We are locking Allyn's and the Glen House for this reason. We have equipment and furnishings that we want to protect. It is unfortunate that a few hurt the many. Today, sometime between 4:43pm last night and 9:00am this morning someone threw a rock through the window of the bottom terminal of Summit and some windows were also broken at North Ridge. Our team has enough to do to get ready to open on 11/18 and don't need be cleaning up after some punks. I would love to get my hands on vandals like these so if anyone saw anything or hears of anything. Please let me know. This sort of stuff hurts all of us. I have a policy of prosecuting anyone we catch. Last year we got some kids who vandalized some golf carts. They were arrested and have paid restitution and hopefully learned their lesson early in life. Terry from Paradise Deli has taken the initiative to form a Neighborhood Watch, and I think it will make a difference. We all need to be vigilant and observant and help to preserve the Valley we love.

HowieT2
11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Speaking of Allyn's, any update on the food & bev situation?

win
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
We are going to run it again ourselves. Because there is not running water by code we can only offer limited offering. That is why Flatbread had to pull out several years ago. We are discussing now what we can do. On weekends and holidays will likely offer wrapped sandwiches, snacks, coffee, hot chocolate and possibly some soups. Difficult to do much more than that until we have running water up there.

Strat
11-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Is water in the works up there or are there too many factors against that?

HowieT2
11-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Does chili meet the definition of soup?

Tin Woodsman
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Does chili meet the definition of soup?

Chii is omnipresent in all food groups in all states - solid, liquid, gas. Do not take chili's name in vane.

Lostone
11-03-2006, 08:34 AM
On the vandalism and lockiong off season, I noticed it early in the hiking season, and agree that it is sad that this has to happen. When I saw it, I thought of the times I'd been up there last year and seen signs of things being thoughtlessly destroyed.

I have personally used it as a shelter, when caught in a sudden storm, and have known others to do the same.
(for those who aren't aware, storms can come over those ridges fast, up there.)

I've also seen signs of people staying overnight, and met many who, as I did, used it as a kind of rest point, doing no damage to anything.

It is really sad to see the need to lock it, and other places, coming on.

I have said before that the "good nature" of the valley is one of the most attractive traits we have. It is sad to see that being hurt.

ahm
11-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Win: replace the lift station windows with heavy duty plastic like the "glass" in a hockey rink. These are pretty hard to break and maintenance should be easy.

win
11-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for suggestion