PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush logistics

ts01
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Greetings all - first time poster here (but post under same username on alpinezone.com and epicski.com).

I'm planning a family trip in February, President's Week (2/17-2/24/06), looking to stay in or close to Burlington (for benefit of non-skiing wife and daughter looking at UVM and other area colleges), and to ski Sugarbush, MRV, Bolton Valley, maybe Stowe or Smuggs. I'd ski with other kids (younger teens) and their guests.

Having a hard time finding ANY rentals in Burlington itself. Slopeside rentals seem available but pricey.. if money were no object and we strike out in Burlington then I'd rent slopeside (at Sugarbush or Bolton Valley) but with this many on the trip, money is an object.

So I'm expanding the search and found a place in North Ferrisburg, VT - about 20 minutes south of Burlington.

My questions are:

1 - Google maps places this about 1 hour's drive from Warren Vt. Is that a fair estimate of drive time? The route appears to be south on rt. 7; east on 17/116; then continue east on Lincoln Road (Lincoln Gap Road?) into Warren. Is that route typically passable in winter? I'll have good snow tires on a heavy FWD vehicle so bad roads are OK, but closed roads are not.

2 - Any other ideas for finding Burlington rentals? I've looked on Craigslist, VRBO, cyberrentals, etc., and also looked online at Burlington Free Press.

Thanks for any help on this.

noski
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Aaaaaghhhh!!! Good thing you checked. You'll not be going over Lincoln Gap in winter- it's closed. I saw your similar post at AZ. Let me check a couple of on-shuttle-route rentals so your wife can take the car and you can be taken to the lifts via shuttle.

If you end up at this Ferrisburg spot, you will want to continue north on 116 to 17 East. That will take you up and over the Appalachian Gap, passable, but can be a white-knuckle (mostly worrying about the other guy, not yourself), winding, steep pass road. The governor goes to work every day over that road, so they maintain it well.

Check you private messages later today.

ts01
10-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Susan - Thanks, I had a feeling I should ask!

How long a drive would you estimate from Ferrisburg to MRV / Sugarbush via the 116 to 17 east (App Gap) route?

I got your PM and will reply there, thanks for offering to help.

ski_resort_observer
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
lol...I replied to your post either on Epic or AZ. Gettin to the Bush and MRG from Ferrisburgh is not bad but is not that centrally located to Stowe. It's about an hour but as Susan mentioned folks drive over App Gap everyday so it is doable. Check places in Bolton, Waterbury or Williston/South Burl as they would be more centrally located.

How many people are you? Would a one BR with sofabed work?

Been doing some checking here is one posiibility
http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelDetail.do

Lostone
10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Would a one BR with sofabed work?

:shock: Are you trying to rent out my place again?? :shock:

I Hate it when that happens! :roll:

Should be pretty good money, for that week, tho. :wink:

:lol:

skiladi
10-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Would a one BR with sofabed work?

:shock: Are you trying to rent out my place again?? :shock:

I Hate it when that happens! :roll:

Should be pretty good money, for that week, tho. :wink:

I know you've made friends with the bear and moose but do you really think they will let you curl up with them? ; } Take lots of pictures.

Hey , is there any snow predicted for this week? I mean , real snow.

Lostone
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Well... The bear would likely still be asleep.

Not sure I'd want to be around when she woke up, tho.

(But then again, that also went for my last girlfriend, too. :lol: ... :? ... :roll: )

Lostone
10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
And as for snow, just on and off mix, thru the rest of hte week, from what I've heard.

ts01
10-25-2006, 10:53 AM
SRO- unfortunately the one BR+ sofabed won't work - we'll be two adults (me + wife) plus three teenage kids and possibly another one or two kids. They can barely ride in the car without killing each other, I can just imagine sharing a sofabed.

Thanks though.

ts01
11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
All set with a rental now at Sugarbush. Thanks for the help here.

Lostone
11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Glad it is working out for you. Hope you have a great trip, and remember to stay away from my powder! :lol:

smootharc
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Hope you have a great trip, and remember to stay away from my powder! :lol:

....MY powder ? I hate it when there's so much confusion over a simple issue such as who's powder it is....

Lostone
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
There is no confusion. :roll:

It's MINE! :x

ts01
11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Hope you have a great trip, and remember to stay away from my powder! :lol:

....MY powder ? I hate it when there's so much confusion over a simple issue such as who's powder it is....

You two step to the side of the trail and continue the discussion -- I'll be skiing the powder, thank you very much!

Actually at this point in the calendar skiing anything would be just fine - powder, "frozen granular," whatever...

nelsapbm
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Just out of curiousity.....what place in Ferrisburg were you looking at? Basin Harbor?

ts01
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Just out of curiousity.....what place in Ferrisburg were you looking at? Basin Harbor?

I forget. It was in North Ferrisburg -- nice house on a big piece of land, I probably found it on cyberrentals.com or vrbo.com. I've seen too many listings to keep track anymore.