PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Visitor Needs Help

thebusofsteel
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I am planning a trip to Sugarbush in December or January. This will be my first time anywhere up that direction. I've been to Snowshoe, WV and Park City, UT. I am planning on flying into Burlington Airport. My question is do I have to rent a car? When I went to Utah we had a shuttle take us from the airport to our condo and then once we were in Park City there were free or cheap shuttles that you could take to get anywhere you wanted to go. Downtown, to the ski areas, restaurants, shopping, back to the condo etc. I'd much rather do that if it is possible verses renting a car for a week. What is Sugarbush like? Any information would be really appreciated.

Lostone
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I think you need to rent a car.

There might be ways to work the systems of busses... but not all that easily.

From the website:

The convenience of flying into Vermont's Burlington International Airport is unparalleled. You can land in Burlington and drive to Sugarbush in just 45 minutes. Taxi, group transfer service and car rentals are available from the airport. Rates available upon request.

The following airlines provide service to Burlington:

Taxi is a possibility, as there are shuttles to almost everything, once the mountain is fully open, but were I flying in, I woudl certainly rent a car.

Hope this helps.

Bubba
10-19-2006, 05:52 AM
A cab from Burlington will cost about $70.

Rent a car to get you here. See if you can drop it off or have it picked up here in the valley,then take the mad bus. Some rental places do this. I can't remember which ones.
While you're here make lots of friends and someone will give a ride back to the airport. :D
Maybe.

Or just keep the car and make things easier. Parking is never an issue and the busses stop running early.

noski
10-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand renting a car would be most convenient. However, I find folks from "the south" are not comfortable driving in snow and/or variable road and weather conditions. The chances a rental car would actually have snow tires would have to be explored. If you rent a car, we can help you choose the best car for our area.

The Mad Bus will run 7 days a week and if you are staying on route (I can help you determine that) the bus is free and not a bad option for moving around. Maybe you can rent the car and drive it seldom- like primarily to/from airport. Bus runs until wee hours on Saturday night for late night dining/lounging. I will have the full schedule for the MadBus on www.madrivervalley.com under Transportation in the next few weeks. Contact me direct if I can help in any way. 1-800-82VISIT.

ski_resort_observer
10-19-2006, 03:03 PM
there are a couple of taxi's that people use. Cost depends on how many people. Try calling them for info

C&L Taxi 496-4056
Mad Cab 793-2320

Since this is a rural area having your own car would be most convient although the Mad Bus does a great job of getting you around the valley.

gotamagal
10-21-2006, 02:43 PM
The Mad Cab can pick you up from the airport. Once you're here in the Valley there is a shuttle bus or if you do find you need a car, you can get a cheap (but safe and sound) rental at one of the local garages, Hap's, if need be.

It all depends on where you are staying. If you are staying on mountain, then there is not a whole lot of need for a car. There are however, limited restaurants within walking distance, but they are all good. If you need to go into town or to a grocery store or other, then you will need to plan accordingly and hop the shuttle. If you decide you want to branch out and ski something besides Mad River Glen and Sugarbush, then you will definitely want a car.

Sugarbush has a wide variety of terrain, low crowds (you can escape them most days just by playing the terrain) - some traditional New England, narrow runs, some wider.