PDA

View Full Version : Ski conditions in late Feb / early March

I
10-14-2006, 08:19 PM
For skiing Sugarbush, are the conditions generally better in the last two weeks of February or the first two weeks in March?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Strat
10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I guess I really haven't been around long enough to make a good judgement, but I really think it depends on the year... I mean there's a lot of years when we get a few good dumps in March after a dead February, but there's times when we get a lot of good small storms that really pile up in mid-late February... hard to say...

Lostone
10-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah... What he said. :wink:

Also to consider is what type of snow you are looking for. Want soft spring snow? Chances are better, the later you go, Want winter snow? Go for earlier.

Before I moved up here, I always took the 2nd week of March as my vacation week. I would almost always have New England, meaning that I had everthing from winter snow to soft corn. And htat would always be in the same week. I was very happy with it.

Another thing to be considered is President's week, and Canadian vacation week. Both are to be avoided or sought, depending on what you are after. 8)

ski_resort_observer
10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I'll let you know March 15th... :roll:

Bubba
10-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Beware the ides of March.

I like to ski all 4 of those weeks. I suggest you do the same.

win
10-15-2006, 10:16 AM
They are right; it does depend. Historically, March is the second snowiest month of the year, and the hidden secret up here is Spring Skiing. From mid-February on it tends to be warmer, and we can get some excellent snow. Last year the tops of the mountains had some really nice surprise lake effect dumps, and we skied until Aril 30th. Mother Nature does her own thing though from year to year.