PDA

View Full Version : Community Day

Lostone
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't think I've seen that many smiles on skiers without 6" of powder.

Great day. Really good presentations. Everyone is getting ready.

Top of the mountain left a little to be desired in the way of leaves, but the bottom was just wonderful. And they managed to have it just a couple days before peak! :wink:

So how about the others that went. (I know there were a lot of you. :wink: ) What did you think?

Pix to follow. :roll: :wink:

Tin Woodsman
10-09-2006, 11:10 AM
What an awesome day. Literally not a cloud in the sky. Good music, great food, wonderful atmosphere.

We snuck under the construction tape to sneak a peak in the new lodge. For all those who wonder whether it will be larger than the old one, fear not. It's HUGE and very airy feeling inside. Took a hike up the mtn both Saturday and Sunday. Didn't notice any changes on the hill to speak of, save for a little trimming of striped maple that was clogging the edges of certain trails. That's good in that it will leave more light for more desirable softwood species.

Hurt my knee on the way down yesterday when I slipped on we grass and did an involuntary hurdler's sprint. I think my MCL is toast. :cry: :cry: :cry: A friend who is an orthopedist prdicts I'll be ready for ski season though. Don't know - we'll have to see what the MD says after I'm fully evaluated and the swelling goes down.

freeheel_skier
10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Hurt my knee on the way down yesterday when I slipped on we grass and did an involuntary hurdler's sprint. I think my MCL is toast. :cry: :cry: :cry: A friend who is an orthopedist prdicts I'll be ready for ski season though. Don't know - we'll have to see what the MD says after I'm fully evaluated and the swelling goes down.

MCL YIKES! Sorry to hear that.....listen to your friend!

Fourwide
10-10-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm no doctor and cases/people are different, but I've had arthoscopic surgery on a medial mcl and I was running easy a week after the procedure. Didn't even need the percocet.

ski_resort_observer
10-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Tin - hope your OK!

Lostone
10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, Tin! Bummer of a way to end the day.

Here's hoping your friend is right, and that you'll be back by the time the snow falls.

Tin Woodsman
10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the well wishes. Got back from the doctor and it looks like the MCL is torn. The good news is that this ligament typically gets a lot of blood flow and should heal on its own w/o surgery. If it's only the MCL, I'll be back to almost full speed in 4-6 weeks with some residual pain for another 2 months, but no limitations on my skiing. Hard to tell with so much swelling though, so I'm just hoping nothing else is hurt (meniscus, ACL etc...).

HowieT2
10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Good luck and get on ther physical therapy ASAP. Although I'm not a doctor, I deal with knee injuries in my business and you should be OK for opening day.

Fourwide
10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I read too quickly--I had a medial meniscus tear, not MCL. Best wishes with that!

smootharc
10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
...other than Tin's misfortunes.

My two boys were psyched to do the kids stuff in the AM....a scavenger hunt in Eden Woods and playtime in the sprung lesson "lodge". John Egan himself drove the shuttle over to the woods.

The talks were good, the tours interesting, and the lift/hiking to LP summit was great.

Sounds like a continued sane approach to development that is doable in a way that benefits all.

Tin Woodsman
10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Would anyone care to summarize the content of the presentations? I didn't get to listen in.

skiladi
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Would anyone care to summarize the content of the presentations? I didn't get to listen in.

There will be feasting , drinking , music and merriment in the plaza! We will party our brains out , but only until 8 p.m. :lol:

win
10-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Except New Year's eve when we will party in the Gate House until the New Year. Sorry to hear about your knee. I had a slight tear of my PCL two years ago. No surgery was needed, but I did not do rehab diligently and I had swelling all last season. Finally better, and I am definitely going to work on the quads before 11/18. I also found that biking was great for the knees as well as occasional massages.

smootharc
10-12-2006, 08:19 AM
....and perhaps an "official" SB target date could be mentioned ? I recall Win mentioning during his talk, the 18th, reiterated above, but I can't recall if that is opening or snow guns firing ?

Anyways, perhaps a SB mention would get some early birds to the valley who might not otherwise have thought of SB as an early season leader.

Lostone
10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
As I remember, it was (weather permitting) 11/1 for firing the guns at North and 11/18 for testing our legs. :shock: :wink:

Other things from the presentations were that all skier traffic will be behind the lodge, with the area between the lodge and Claybrook being cleared of snow.

There will be two less stairs on the main entrance, but there will be another set between the plaza and the level of Bravo.

A big thing will be the push to have more things for the rest of the year, with return of mountain biking and running the lift from 7/4 on. Other things added will be disk golf and ... (feel free to add, here. :wink: )

The new Gatehouse will be the largest air conditioned place in the valley and will be available for weddings and meetings. Timbers will be a year-round restaurant.

Castlerock pub will be on the bottom, south end, and will be larger than before. The top level will be the food service and cafeteria area. All bags will remain downstairs, where there will be enlarged locker rooms and a bag check.

Tin, when I saw your request for info on the presentations, my first thought was that it was way too much info to type it all up, (were I able to remember it all. :roll: :wink: ) At the same time, I thought it would be good to relate them to those who were unable to attend. Easier to answer questions than just repeat everything. They say the memory is the first thing to go, and... Anyone remember what I was talking about? :wink:

For all, please feel free to correct anything I said wrong, and add things you feel were interesting, but I dropped.

Pix are still coming. At this point it is more important looking for good ones to take than sorting thru the ones I've already taken. But that is about to end. :cry: But that brings us closer to those silly boards! :D

smootharc
10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
A big thing will be the push to have more things for the rest of the year, with return of mountain biking and running the lift from 7/4 on. Other things added will be disk golf....

....organized mountain biking trails and Frisbee golf were two exceedingly excellent ideas !

I chatted with the Frisbee golf guy, and he's totally into it ! My have things changed with frisbee golf since my college days when it was all about skipping class, holding a cold one, and squabbling over which tree or rock would be the best next hole (my girlfriend usually beat me in the squabbles....she was much smarter, and held the keys to the kingdom to boot. :wink: I wonder who she's out-squabbling these days....).

Lostone
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Well, I finally got done editing, reducing and posting the pix from Community day. They are here:

http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Community_Day_2006&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Just a few pix from the day, here:
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2365.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2371.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2383.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2389.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2392.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Community_Day_2006/tPICT2405c2.jpg

Interestingly, after setting up the album, but before posting that it was done, it had been viewed 6 times. :lol: