PDA

View Full Version : Almost time to move the camera!!!

Fourwide
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
...but to where? Perhaps a spot on the roof of new Gatehouse, pointing across towards Claybrook? Maybe in the parking lot, looking up towards Claybrook, Gatehouse and the mountain?

random_ski_guy
09-19-2006, 08:29 AM
yeah, i'm excited to see that camera move back up the mtn. last year, there were days when i had that camera up on machine all day as a backdrop. i was virtually in warren. i understand the that it is a chamber of commerce camera and therefore it needs to be a position that represent all of the valley. i'm not familiar with the area enough to off good placement suggestions. hopefully it can be someplace that gives us some view of the mtn though.

noski, when will it be moved, any idea?

thanks.

noski
09-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I suspect vickeryhill and I will move it this Saturday or Monday- Soon.....certainly before the peak foliage moment scheduled for October 10 at 10:10am. We have a Plan B location ready, but Plan A is still being pursued....

random_ski_guy
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
so i gather the location will be a surprise. feel free to ruin it. :P

noski
09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
:wink: Not on your life.... Plan A will be easy to figure out, Plan B will suffice- such as Plan B's tend to do, and most people will recognize the angle (not the same as the one last winter).

Strat
09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I thought the on-mountain cam had been permanently canned? Thought that the facing the mountain setup last year was a compromise...

Fourwide
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Mountain cam "permanently canned"? Is that true? I'm very curious why. Last winter's cam location was a disappointment.

Tin Woodsman
09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Mountain cam "permanently canned"? Is that true? I'm very curious why. Last winter's cam location was a disappointment.

Ditto. Seriously. What's the problem?

Strat
09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I explained in the Webcam thread over in the MRV forum...
http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=190&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=webcam&start=30

Like I said before I don't want to spread overly negative rumors, that was just what I was told when I asked about it last year...

Lostone
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
My recollection that the camera that used to be a Sugarbush was their camera and different than the Mad River Valley cam. Is this true? I know it was aimed at the mountain during the spring, but moved to the airport due to popularity of the suggestion.

Anyone else know?

Bubba
09-22-2006, 05:27 AM
My recollection that the camera that used to be a Sugarbush was their camera and different than the Mad River Valley cam. Is this true? I know it was aimed at the mountain during the spring, but moved to the airport due to popularity of the suggestion.

Anyone else know?

SB has their own camera.
The MRV camera is provided by Vickery Hill.

random_ski_guy
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
SB has their own camera? Is it running? Is there a link from the website? I'm only familiar with the Vickery Hill / Chamber of Commerce camera.

Lostone
09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
There used to be a camera at South that hit about 5 areas, in rotation.

If my memory serves (Not all that probable... Remember the 70s? I have parts of them... But I digress... :roll: ) they moved it to North when they switched to having that be the early/late mountain.

I'm still voting for it to return to South. 8)

Tin Woodsman
09-22-2006, 12:25 PM
It is unfortunate that the administration seems to be wary of a camera on the mountain. IMO, that attitude communicates precisely the wrong message to the skiing public. Let's see for ourselves what the conditions will be. Better that than to have unsatisfied customers vowing never to go back due to the perception of an unrealistic snow report. SV has done a great job in re-connecting with the MRV and creating an atmosphere of openess and honesty that ASC couldn't match. I think the current ambivalence towards having the webcam on the hill runs counter to that philosophy.

Fourwide
09-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe it's the risk of that day-glo orange suit you mentioned? Perhaps administration could respond? Another option--how about at the top of Summit, Northridge or GMX? Really not that big a deal, but that street cam is just lame.

Tin Woodsman
09-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Maybe it's the risk of that day-glo orange suit you mentioned? Perhaps administration could respond? Another option--how about at the top of Summit, Northridge or GMX? Really not that big a deal, but that street cam is just lame.

That's entitrely possible, if not downright likely. Be that as it may, SV should overcome the horror of the day-glo orange and do the right thing.

Lostone
09-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Just say no... to day-glo. :lol:

random_ski_guy
09-23-2006, 04:05 PM
So its 5:02pm and the view remains the same, that hectic mad river valley airport. Isn't this location, providing a real time view of the runway, a homeland security violation anyway......

noski
09-24-2006, 06:40 AM
y'eah y'eah, I know. Playing under the eves in the rain is NOT an option. As soon as VickeryHill and I can coordinate our schedule on a non r*in day we will be moving it. The location takes a bit of drilling and wiring and computer work since it is a new location, so it may be down for a few days once we leave the airport....

Strat
09-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Above-base cams have always seemed like nice options but it appears the bush has never been too keen on wiring internet at the upper elevations... I think thoughts about this came up a while ago, maybe in the Sugarbush thread on Alpinezone, after the abandoning of the dead RSN forums... ahh it's been a while...

freeheel_skier
09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
This would be a streach but on top of the silo dome(maintainence might be a pain in the arse)???? How about on the timbers cupola?

random_ski_guy
09-25-2006, 08:48 AM
either one of those locations would be a serious score for the virtual ski community.

noski
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Sure is a nice day to move the camera......... to the Plan B location.

Lostone
09-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Being as we didn't know either the plan A or B positions.. Why not say that you got the A position, and call it a total victory? :lol:

It says it is "on the move", but you forgot to set up the tracking system. :( :wink:

random_ski_guy
09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
i'm so dissappointed with plan B :cry:

back to the limited view of rte 100 i see, no mtns, no trails, no nothing.

noski
09-29-2006, 06:46 AM
I know. But we had to work with what we could. I suggest using the MRG series of webcams for your on- mountain pics. At least you can see the weather, snowbanks, and what color shoes I am wearing on any given day..... :wink:
I am sure the thread about 'hidden webcam in the girls shower' will disappear before long. Hope so, 'cause I can't compete with that!

Lostone
09-29-2006, 07:36 AM
That one is gone. :roll: :wink:

As for this one, I've been thinking. (And, yes, it did hurt.) I think it would solve some confusion if I move this thread to the Valey room? People see it here and expect it to be at, or showing Sugarbush.

noski
09-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Make it so, Number One.

Lostone
09-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Moved 8)

random_ski_guy
11-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Is it my computer or is the chamber cam really not working?

noski
11-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Gotta go over and reboot, but have to wait until Sugarmountain Massage is open. I will try again today. (thanks!)

noski
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
The summer 2007 Webcam location has been negotiated and is HOT! Tentative reveal on June 21.... You will like this one. Hints:
Easily recognizeable location- but unexpected
You will see people you know, often
You will see weather.
You will see real action....

Strat
06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking... Farmer's Market?

Lostone
06-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Good. :)

I went to look at it the other day. It was really cloudy up here, and I wanted to see if it was a little better in the valley. I didn't see the camera. :cry:

Still not working as of tonight. :(

As for the new location, I'm pretty sure that if we can see weather, it will be outside. :lol:

But it will be nice to see summer action. :wink:

noski
06-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm thinking... Farmer's Market? No, but we did explore the Bisbee Hardware silo option. You are right that it is on the Valley floor. One week to launch.....

Plowboy
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Warren Store?

noski
06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Hmmm..... that's a good guess....Soon....

Strat
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
So, where is she? Got thrown to the back burner because of the 4th (which was wonderful by the way)...?

noski
07-06-2007, 08:04 AM
I am hopeful it will be up and running before I return from vacation on 7/23, you all keep the peace while I am gone, ok?

Lostone
07-06-2007, 09:45 AM
NOOOO!!! You can't leave us! :cry:

:oops: Uh... I mean, have a good vacation. Remember to bring us back gifts. :wink:

noski
07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Not much to bring back from tent camping, except maybe poison ivy..... Probable cam install 4pm today- if not too stormy. It's that close though. You guys will get to see it before me!

noski
07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
After tent camping in 6 inches of rain in the NEK, we came home to dry out before heading back out Monday. Didya notice the webcam yet? www.madrivervalley.com

Lostone
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I kept telling myself that I should check on it, but myself always had something else to do. :roll: :wink:

So this site has a ton more action than any of the ones since the Sugarbush cam. Not quite as good at showing the weather, but I can see that it appears sunny down there, although it isn't, up here.

Really interesting, I just saw a pickup truck pull in, there. It left here almost an hour ago. He must have taken the long way down! :shock: How do I know it was the same? The stuff in the back of the truck. 8)

Yard Sale
09-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Can we expect the Mountain/Cow cam again or some other aspect of the mountains? I like the Warren Store and all, but some mountainscape would be nice for the foliage as well as the winter. Not to mention, a base cam would also be nice.

noski
09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
http://www.madriverweather.com:8888/view/index.shtml

Here is the link to Norm's Cam (aka CowCam). Not sure what we are doing this year, but I suspect it will stay where it is- it cost us a bit to make it happen..... I will see about putting the CowCam link on the webcam page like we did last year.

Yard Sale
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Ah, that's better. Thanks for the link. When it was removed from the webcam page, I just assumed it was gone. Us flatlanders need an uplift eavery now and again. BTW Norm's cam just showed a Godzilla sized fly run right through the whole valley. I hope everyone's ok.