PDA

View Full Version : Re: Summer MRV camping

HowieT2
05-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Now that the ski season is over, I am looking for a place to take my son camping. Would love to be able to camp out near Warren and hike/bike around SB. Any suggestions? Thanks.

noski
05-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I can help you. Tell me- when you say "camping" do you mean "primitive" camping? Pack in/Pack out- or are you looking for more in they way of amenities (bath house, camp store, etc)?

HowieT2
05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks. My friend and I take our sons who are 9 years old. We prefer a campsite without hookups so their aren't rv's, but we need to drive near to the site (the kids aren't much help). Other than that we can live with anything. We don't need a store except for maybe firewood. Last year we went to Wilgus State Park near Ascutney and that was great.

noski
05-13-2006, 07:12 AM
(Note to Mods- probably should move to misc) Howie- PM your email address and I will send you information on Monday if that's ok. I may have other questions to ask, but we can do that next week. If others want to chime in, feel free, I have a Teflon desk, not Velcro. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
05-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I have always been amazed that there are no campgrounds in the MRV. the closest is the Duxbury Store Campground. It's about 15 miles from Warren and not very nice although if your into horseshoes you will be in hog heaven. People do camp near Warren Falls but there are no facilities.

Little River State Park on Waterbury Resevoir is nice but is about 30 min from the MRV but close to Ben&Jerry's.
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/littleriver.cfm

Lostone
05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Note to Noski... We dont have a Misc section. :roll: :wink: That link used to bring you to the Alpine Zone, which requires a separate registration, and in which I'm... powerless! :cry: :lol: Now, it just says Alpine Zone, instead of Misc. 8)

I'd be happy to move it to the valley room, but also to leave it here. Not a Sugarbush or Valley function, but it is one of those things people are looking toward and for in the area, fairly often. A good discussion

And I'm not sure what is on my desk, because of all the stuff that is on my desk. :roll: It is better than it used to be... because I used to have a bigger desk. :lol:

I have nothing to offer on camping areas, and am interested in anything anyone comes up with. 8)

castlerock
05-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Why not park in Lincoln gap, hike to the the Battell shelter (basically a lean-to) drop your gear, summit Abraham, maybe even walk over to Heaven's Gate. Then spend the night at the shelter. Any 9 year old should be able to pull that one off. My 7 year old did it when he was just about to turn 6.

noski
05-15-2006, 09:16 AM
The Little River State Park in Waterbury is a safe choice, and meets your needs. I like Castlerock's suggestion for a one-nighter- maybe your first or last night of your planned stay.... Just pass by the Warren Store first for cooler food/bev and take the quick ride up Lincoln Gap rd.

skibum1321
05-15-2006, 11:05 AM
My 7 year old did it when he was just about to turn 6.
He gets younger each year? :lol:

castlerock
05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
My 7 year old did it when he was just about to turn 6.
He gets younger each year? :lol:

He'll be 8 this August, and did the hike the summer before last just before his 6th birthday....

But now I need to find a way to get younger every year...

HowieT2
05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Hope to see you up there.

I always stop at the Warren store. That goes without saying.

boze
05-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm the 'other' part of HowieT2 camp expedition. Really appreciate the info noski, castlerock & others offered (& love that these boards live on beyond the ski season!).

Long trail hiking options look terrific. Would love it to push through Paradise Woods and the Church in 75' weather...found this link which got me psyched: http://www.central-vt.com/visit/hiking.htm

Not to press our luck, but our kids loved the kayak part of our trip last year near Mt Aschutney on CT River. Any info on kayak trips in / near Warren? Much obliged...

skibum1321
05-16-2006, 06:36 AM
App Gap to Lincoln Gap is a great hike, but would be too much for younger kids IMO. I did it last summer and I felt like my feet were going to fall off at the end of the day. But as Castlerock said, you can summit Abe and Lincoln Peak with no problem.

noski
05-16-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm the 'other' part of HowieT2 camp expedition. Really appreciate the info noski, castlerock & others offered (& love that these boards live on beyond the ski season!).

Long trail hiking options look terrific. Would love it to push through Paradise Woods and the Church in 75' weather...found this link which got me psyched: http://www.central-vt.com/visit/hiking.htm

Not to press our luck, but our kids loved the kayak part of our trip last year near Mt Aschutney on CT River. Any info on kayak trips in / near Warren? Much obliged...

Two things-
(1) If you don't already have one, you should get the MRV Hiking & Trails map. You can either get it when you arrive, or, ahem... send me $5 and your mailing address and I will mail you one. It has great hikes/topo/mileage/descriptions that may inspire you. MRV Chamber/ POB 173/ Waitsfield 05673

(2) Canoe/kayak in Warren = negative. THought with the recent rain.... Anyway, contact Clearwater Sport (http://www.clearwatersports.com) in Waitsfield. They do either guided trips that people rave about, or you can simply rent your own kayaks and paddle Blueberry Lake, or Winooski River. Paddle the Mad River?... maybe if there is enough water in it when you visit.

ahm
05-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Camping in/near the valley. Here's an idea. Great local, easy access, within reason not too popular. 16 miles south of the access road, just after the granville gulf, is Forest Road 55 (USFS-55). Turn right on this road and drive up it until you cross the Clark Brook and a very cool stone bridge. You can camp anywhere in here, either along the river (if you walk a bit from the stone bridge (before you cross it) you will find a great spot off a little side trail. This will be primative camping, but will work great. It is in the National Forest, so camping is allowed. Next, for a great hike, continue down USFS-55 (after crossing the stone bridge) and you will quickly come to the clark brook trail head on your right. Take the CB upto the LT (Long Trail) and then you can go either way, N or S, for some great hiking through the breadloaf wilderness. Also, can stop in at Skyline lodge and skylight pond, interesting sites. The beauty of this camping spot is that you can have the car right there, so there isn't a major hauling of gear. Check it out, Clark Brook is a great river, with a super swimming hole near the stone bridge.

Kayaking in the valley. Put a car at the fair grounds in waterbury (right after snowfire--saab, audi, suby car place). Drive back on 100 S and then go left onto 100 B. Pass the large dam and you can put in right there and paddle into Waterbury.

As for hiking guides, the valley map is ok, but if you are going to hike VT, get an LT guide. It is indispensible in terms of side trails (and if you use it right, it'll lead you to some super backcountry ski lines. But to find good lines, you'll need to read the guide book, do a bit of homework and then some recon hiking to check the route. This approach works great and it has led me to a huge 2000 vert plus shot on the area backside (that's all the hints I'll give). Any other questions, drop me a line.

Lostone
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
What a lot of great info! 8)

Looks like I have a bunch of new places to explore... if it ever stops raining. :roll: :wink:

HowieT2
07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for all your great info and especially for the great weather forecast for this weekend. We're heading up friday morning and hope to have the tents up early enough for an afternoon hike from Lincoln Gap. I can't tell you how excited the boys are to hike the mountain. They want to bike it too but without the lifts running that may be impractical (hello Win!). Thanks again everyone.

noski
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Don't forget to file your \"trip report\" so we know you made it home and if you got good advice...

HowieT2
07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Trip report- I can't thank all of you enough (especially whoever was responsible for the absolutely spectacular weather). The camp site in Granville was unbelievably perfect. Pitched the tents right by the stone bridge. The roaring brook made for some fine sleeping and the kids had a blast playing around and riding their bikes. Caught a great sunrise on saturday morning (but no Moose).
Friday we did the hike from Lincoln Gap road to the Battel shelter but had to turn back haifway to Mt. Abraham because of time. We also did some swimming and jumping (not me) at the Warren Falls swimming hole, which was great. The kids thought kayaking the Winooski was really cool with all that \"whitewater.\" I just enjoyed the trip and the Vermonster I picked up at the Warren store for lunch on the river.

My only complaint was that we didn't have enough time to do everything there was to do. Now, if I can just convince my wife to go up before Labor day for a couple of days instead of going to my in-laws...

We checked out the construction at the base but I will post my comments on a new thread.

noski
07-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Trip report- I can't thank all of you enough (especially whoever was responsible for the absolutely spectacular weather).

Uh... we call that Chamber-of-Commerce-Weather..... :wink:

Lostone
07-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Uh... we call that Chamber-of-Commerce-Weather..... :wink:

Then I would like to know who... in the chamber of commerce has been screwing up the weather for most of the spring/early summer. :evil: And then I'd like to talk about the winter! :evil: :evil:

:wink:

noski
07-11-2006, 08:02 AM
no, no, no.... the Chamber of Commerce only gets credit for good weather. You blame the Weather Channel for bad weather. You also get to blame the Weather Channel for claiming bad weather & conditions in the winter when indeed, the conditions are great! I am not sure that is a battle we can win.... :evil:

ahm
08-05-2006, 07:01 AM
HowieT: glad you enjoyed the camping spot. It's a great spot, no one really uses it and the brook is excellent. For the more adventurous, the brook gorge can be hiked in low water with tevas and some hiking poles. The gorge is quite deep, so it has some awesome views when you are down in it. Again, glad you liked it.AHM

HowieT2
08-05-2006, 08:33 PM
That spot isn't good, it is spectacular. Our only complaint was that we weren't there longer so we could explore more. Thank you so much. I owe you a beer or two at the new lodge.